Updating my Jailbroken iPod Touch 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by Dangy, Apr 9, 2011.

Apr 9, 2011
  1. Dangy
    OP

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    So I want to update from 4.1, to 4.3.

This is the first time I will be updating a jailbroken device. I have a few questions:

1. Will I lose anything? If so:

2. What will I lose?

3. How should I backup my apps? ([Redacted] apps)

4. How should I backup my Cydia apps/tweaks?

2. tlyee61

Member tlyee61 le dancing Tyranitar~

United States
    I think theres a cydia package called something like CyBackup or something like that but anyway it backs up all of your packages in a folder on your iTouch. I think u can access them by SSHing your iTouch. If u dont know how to, u can google a tutorial on how to. [​IMG]

3. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You need APTBackup from Cydia to backup a list of installed packages. Since you will be updating, you won't lose any installed apps, preferences, contacts, etc.
    You need to run APTBackup, backup your device in iTunes (in case something goes wrong), update your iPod (but don't let it sync at the end), jailbreak, install APTBackup and Appsync (you you have those kind of apps...), sync and re-run APTBackup.
    If some things aren't as before at the end (ex: you had Infinifolders), restore your iPod from the backup you made earlier (this won't downgrade your device, but it will just restore the preferences and documents).

4. Dangy
    OP

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Well, what would be the best way to backup everything as if I wanted to restore?

AptBackup for Cydia stuff?

What about normal/[Redacted] apps?

5. metamaster

Member metamaster GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Normal apps just copy over to your computer with iTunes (cracked ones too, that's what Appsync is for).
    You shouldn't worry about that if you're going to update, since updates don't touch user apps.

Also, APTBackup doesn't actually back up the tweaks, it just makes a list. So when you run it again after an update, you reinstall them (and the settings are preserved, since preferences aren't touched during updates either)