Updating EmuNAND or SysNAND & using backups without Gateway?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ChrisX930, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ChrisX930
    OP

ChrisX930 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Hey Guys,

I just wondering if it's possible to Update one of the NANDs (SysNAND or EmuNAND-CFW) without losing the ability to play selfmade backups of my games on EmuNAND without using a Gateway.

I dumped some of my Games to play it on EmuNAND 4.5 (CFW) without the need of a Gateway redrard.
    But I want to be able to play some games (like my original Pokemon omega ruby) but I need one of the NANDs updated for it.

is it possible (I really want to try all this without a Gateway Flashcard if needed, only a DS Flashcard like the R4)

2. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    CFW and EmuNAND are two different things. EmuNAND emulates up-to-date Nintendo firmware from an external SD Card, and CFW is a custom (modified) firmware that runs directly on-hardware, replacing SysNAND.

You can't use EmuNAND without a physical Red Gateway card, so all you can do is hope that, eventually, someone writes a stronger CFW with constant update support/cracks Gateway's Launcher.dat (which apparently is happening already) so you can use EmuNAND without the physical red card.

EDIT: Oh, I also need to mention that the Gateway web exploit only goes up to 9.2, and the latest Nintendo update is 9.4. If you decide to update SysNAND, the only two options you have are buying a Sky3DS or waiting out a new exploit, and it's hard to predict when the next one will be.

3. ChrisX930
    OP

ChrisX930 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Thanks for your answer :)

4. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
  5. ChrisX930
    OP

ChrisX930 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    Can't wait until he finished his work :D

6. TidusWulf

TidusWulf Real Aloha

Jul 27, 2007
    United States
    Hawaii
    The way he wrote up those two posts, that guy sounds like the 3DS is just a temporary distraction. He doesn't express a dedication to finding exploits. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.

7. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Not very comfortable but you could play Pokémon on your SysNAND which gets updatet before the game can start and if you need 4.5 FW back you can restore your older FW's backup (via the browser exploit). You don't need the Gateway card to do this downgrade.

8. LoneGrenade

LoneGrenade IT Technician/Rookie Coder

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    ~/ #
    AFAIK, CFW is a form of emuNAND, it doesn't overwrite your sysNAND.

Recently people have gotten emuNAND to boot in classic mode using the MT card launcher and the DS profile exploit without a GW or MT card.