Hacking Updated Wii to 4.2, cannot access neoGamma

GI_Josh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I hadn't turned my Wii on for quite some time until today. It had previously been hacked, with the homebrew channel installed, along with neoGamma. When I turned it on today I updated to 4.2. My homebrew channel is still there and accessible (I had version 1.06) and so is neoGamma, however neoGamma just goes to a black screen when I try to launch it.

I found this guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

However I updated to 4.2 blindly beforehand and didn't get to follow any of the updating instructions. Now I am trying to follow along with the modifying instructions. The first thing was installing and patching IOS36. I tried and got an error. I'm very confused overall with what an IOS even is, and what the different versions do.

So basically: Am I screwed since I didn't find this guide beforehand? If not, what should I be doing now? I feel like I'm very close.

Thanks so much for listening to my noob questions.

Josh

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not screwed. You just have to follow the steps in the guide. IOS is basically the Wii's firmware. It's in charge of security checks and the like. By following those steps you're patching some old bugs back into it which will let you reinstall the custom IOS that NeoGamma runs from.

Phr3d13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GI_Josh said:
Hello all. Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I hadn't turned my Wii on for quite some time until today. It had previously been hacked, with the homebrew channel installed, along with neoGamma. When I turned it on today I updated to 4.2. My homebrew channel is still there and accessible (I had version 1.06) and so is neoGamma, however neoGamma just goes to a black screen when I try to launch it.

I found this guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901

However I updated to 4.2 blindly beforehand and didn't get to follow any of the updating instructions. Now I am trying to follow along with the modifying instructions. The first thing was installing and patching IOS36. I tried and got an error. I'm very confused overall with what an IOS even is, and what the different versions do.

So basically: Am I screwed since I didn't find this guide beforehand? If not, what should I be doing now? I feel like I'm very close.

Thanks so much for listening to my noob questions.

Josh

Seems like you need to run Trucha Bug Restorer again, so you can Downgrade ios 15, then you can patch ios 36. Just don't forget to restore ios 15 when you're done.

GI_Josh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I just read up on the IOS's a bit more and I feel that I understand what they are doing, along with FenrirWolf's explanation.

I'm away from the house right now so i can't reproduce the exact error I was receiving.

But, my basic plan of attack should be:
Trucha Bug Restorer, then downgrade IOS15, install and patch IOS36, and then restore IOS15?

Sounds good. By the way, does anyone have the modify.zip file? I was trying to piece it all together myself and that would help greatly.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
mail the address somewhere in the guide for the files.
We can't share it here (contains some illegal stuff).

Also, that guide doesn't use the Trucha bug restorer anymore, but Multi Mod Manager, which does the 3 Trucha steps all at once.

As does DOP-Mii (the program MMM was based on), which I use in my guide (sig)

Phr3d13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
mail the address somewhere in the guide for the files.
We can't share it here (contains some illegal stuff).

Also, that guide doesn't use the Trucha bug restorer anymore, but Multi Mod Manager, which does the 3 Trucha steps all at once.

As does DOP-Mii (the program MMM was based on), which I use in my guide (sig)

I wish i knew that, It woulda made some of my softmodding a little easier

GI_Josh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely read over the email address the first time. I just got a response and I have the zip file.

I'll report back on whether this works or not, thanks for all of the help.

lv157

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi

if I have the error "Install ERROR! (ret=-2011)" when trying to install cIOSX_V19 I can fix it with this application (MMM)?

tell me what steps I have to do with Multi Mod Manager to fix this error please
smile.gif

I have wii ver.3.4U

thanks!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4