Homebrew Update to Sysnand toVer. 9.2.0

  • Thread starter Thread starter toby1978
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 9,728
  • Replies Replies 138
Thanks! So typically you don't want to mess around with the sysnand unless you need to do something like this I take it? I am trying to learn that's all!
 
generally you want to avoid installing things to sysnand destination nand (unless needed) (note a dsiware.cia must be installed here to play)
sysnand destination sd is ok (note a gba.cia need to be installed here to be played)
 
I'm not wanting to play any games from the sysnand! I am wanting to update to 9.2 so I can install ctrbootmanager so my 3ds XL will start up in emunand so my 5 year old can play the games at will. Do I still need the cias you are talking about to do that?
 
I'm not wanting to play any games from the sysnand! I am wanting to update to 9.2 so I can install ctrbootmanager so my 3ds XL will start up in emunand so my 5 year old can play the games at will. Do I still need the cias you are talking about to do that?
. . .
I am trying to learn that's all!
just trying to teach you something if you install a gba.cia to emunand alone it wont start it (like a dsiware.cia) must be installed to sysnand (if you install a gba or dsiware cia to both emunand as well it can play from any nand) thats if you want to play them at some point
a 3ds.cia may be installed to emunand alone so if all you want is 3ds games your good only installing things to emunand:teach:
I am wanting to update to 9.2 so I can install ctrbootmanager so my 3ds XL will start up in emunand
to install sysupdater and update you need fbi on sysnand first
then boot rxtools sysnand devmode/pastamode
then install sysupdater
then use it to update sysnand
win
 
Last edited by wormdood,
. . .

to install sysupdater and update you need fbi on sysnand first
then boot rxtools sysnand
then install sysupdater
then use it to update sysnand
win

Don't forget to do the last step in rxTools Dev/Pasta Mode or you will brick.
 
Ok, so inject FBI to sysnand, open RX tools and go into dev mode, synand will open, open FBI in the Health and Saftey, install sysupdater, open gift and run sysupdater?
 
Does this need to be done from sysnand or emunand?
CtrBootManager: 3ds boot manager/loader (HomeMenuHax)
I try from emunand and I get Err:Couldnt load arm9 payload press any key to continue
I do not understand... If you are trying to boot to dev mode, you need to do it when loading rxTools before booting emuNAND.

  1. Load rxTools
  2. Hold L so you don't autoboot emuNAND
  3. Load devMode
  4. Do the above steps
Hope I helped and good luck.
 
I do not understand... If you are trying to boot to dev mode, you need to do it when loading rxTools before booting emuNAND.

  1. Load rxTools
  2. Hold L so you don't autoboot emuNAND
  3. Load devMode
  4. Do the above steps
Hope I helped and good luck.
I am wanting my 3ds xl to start up in emunand mode so my 5 year old can play the cia games I have. Would cold boot be better or what are my choices?
 
What do you mean waiting to start emuNAND?
If you updated to 9.2
  1. Awesome! Good job!
  2. Cold boot is the best option because there is no risk of updating
 
Good Job! Now you need to set up menuhax and you need to make it autoboot! (not that hard/risky)
 
Well what is different in the guide @pofer posted then? They just use rX's Pasta / DevMode..

If you just boot sysNAND mode from RxTools (as in not dev mode/pasta mode), it'll load firmware.bin from the SD card instead of from the actual sysNAND, and effectively block it from being updated; after that, rebooting will result in a brick. Pasta CFW/Pasta mode doesn't have this block, so that's why it's safe.
 
Good Job! Now you need to set up menuhax and you need to make it autoboot! (not that hard/risky)
and here is how
Launching rxTools at Boot - Menuhax!​
These steps will setup Menuhax, which we will configure to allow rxTools to boot the moment you turn on your 3DS/2DS! IMO this is the best way to launch rxTools.

Note:
You must be on 9.0 - 9.2 firmware. This means your sysnand has to be on or between 9.0 to 9.2 system version. To update to 9.0 or 9.2, scroll down to the section How to Update your 3DS/2DS to 9.0 or 9.2 and follow the instructions, then come back here.

Second note: This will only work with rxTools 3.0 nightly (from September onwards I think). No one has found a way for it to work with rxTools 2.6 and under as far as I know. The rxTools build included in Section 1 works with this.
  1. Set a random theme on your 3DS, then change it back to the default theme.
  2. Make sure your WiFi is on and you are connected to the Internet!!
  3. Launch rxmode SysNAND (Hold L when booting rxTools to access it)
  4. Open BigBlueMenu (or any other CIA installer)
  5. If you already have access to the Homebrew Launcher, skip to step 9!!
  6. Install hblauncher_loader.cia (it's in the CIAs folder)
  7. Exit to the HOME menu; there will be a new gift. It is the Homebrew Launcher cia.
  8. Launch the Homebrew Launcher via the Homebrew Launcher cia you just installed in SysNAND.
  9. In the Homebrew Launcher, run the menuhax_manager installer and install menuhax.
  10. After all that, test if menuhax boots you into the homebrew menu at cold boot. Just turn off your 3DS and turn it back on, and don't press any buttons.
  11. On your SD card, look for the file which name starts with "ropbinpayload". Open it with HxD (included in the PC_Apps folder) or Notepad++. Maybe plain old Notepad will work too.
  12. Press CTRL+F and search for boot.3dsx. There will be two results.
  13. Change both to auto.3dsx and save the file.

When you turn on your 3DS, you should see the bottom screen flash multiple colors, followed by the rxTools splash screen.
The Menuhax button config is as follows:
  • Menuhax loads if no buttons are held at boot.
  • Menuhax does not load if any button is held at boot.
Additionally:
  • If you hold L after the bottom screen turns white, you will boot into the rxTools menu.
  • If you hold SELECT after the bottom screen turns white, you will boot into the CTRBootManager menu.
Some precautions:
  • Changing your theme in SysNAND will remove Menuhax; that is, you would have to reinstall Menuhax again.
  • If your NANDs are still linked, Menuhax would also be installed in EmuNAND. This means you will get a black screen every time you attempt to load EmuNAND. To solve this, you can either:
    • Hold any button when launching EmuNAND to disable it from loading; you will have to do this every time.
    • Unlink your NANDs (Section 6), launch EmuNAND while holding any button to disable Menuhax from loading, then change the EmuNAND theme to remove it completely from EmuNAND without removing it from SysNAND.
 
ok i will give this a try! looks like this takes some time! So I am reading this and it looks like i need FBI back on the sysnand and do just like I did to upgrade with sysupdater! Is this correct?
 

Site & Scene News