Hacking Update softmod through USB.

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've bought a cheap wii that has a "dead" SD slot. The previous owner managed to break the slot so badly that not even opening the Wii and holding the SD in place can make it work.

What I would need is a way to install the softmod updates (pimp my wii, ciosx 20b, etc) through USB.. Wad Manager 1.5 won't do the trick.

GrEvilKin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wateva said:
I've bought a cheap wii that has a "dead" SD slot. The previous owner managed to break the slot so badly that not even opening the Wii and holding the SD in place can make it work.

What I would need is a way to install the softmod updates (pimp my wii, ciosx 20b, etc) through USB.. Wad Manager 1.5 won't do the trick.
Open your Wii, solder wires to the SD pins, hold the wires against your SD card, don't move your hands, can brick your Wii.

And then install all you want.

Or just get another SD socket and replace it, seriously.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/5-pcs-SD-Memory-Card-Co...=item19bf648af7

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
u only need an SD card to install the HomeBrew Channel and/or BootMii (+making a nand backup), if u already have these installed, then u can do everything else from a FAT32 USB HDD
Sorry, but that's not really true. I've tried using "Pimp my Wii" to update the IOSs needed and it failed to find the files. Same happens when trying to install cIOS 19/20b.. It mounts the USB drive (thumb drive) but it can't find the IOS's. It starts the program and everything (even neogamma, wiiflow, uloader, homebrew browser) but I can't make it install.

foolontehill

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wateva said:
XFlak said:
u only need an SD card to install the HomeBrew Channel and/or BootMii (+making a nand backup), if u already have these installed, then u can do everything else from a FAT32 USB HDD
Sorry, but that's not really true. I've tried using "Pimp my Wii" to update the IOSs needed and it failed to find the files. Same happens when trying to install cIOS 19/20b.. It mounts the USB drive (thumb drive) but it can't find the IOS's. It starts the program and everything (even neogamma, wiiflow, uloader, homebrew browser) but I can't make it install.

It most certainly is true. I only needed the SD card to initially softmod the Wii. I am able to do absolutely everything from a fat32 HDD. If you are installing wads from a fat32 HDD, there must be a wad folder in the root of your device.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
there are more ways to do things than pimpmywii. I've never used that, and I never will.

If u use ModMii, but just copy all the files to your USB instead of your SD card, u will be able to perform all softmods (excluding what I mentioned above) without the use of an SD card.

So YAY! I'm right!
biggrin.gif

edit: foolontehill beat me to it
biggrin.gif

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird. I've tried before but wasn't able to do it. I've tested installing cIOS 19 using cIOS manager 2.1 (or something about that). I'll try now using cIOS 20b (cIOS manager 2.3)..

Btw, bought the SD slot. for 4 bucks? why not?
smile.gif

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wateva said:
Wifi is broken too?
Wiiload@HBC works fine. DOP-Mii, IOS236, IOS249 installers can grab IOSes over network from Nintendo.

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reason for Pimp my Wii: Faster than having to install it through other channels/programs.
I try to keep within 20 minutes to unlock a wii so I can do it for other people while they are waiting. That's the real reason.
I've been doing this by hand installing the necessary iOS's to most of the games (including hermes ios's) and it took me from 30 to 45 minutes to complete all necessary steps. Now it's automated and less time consuming.

edit: proving my point:
20100913184335272.jpg

20100913184949520.jpg

PS: the wii is semi-bricked. Can't open the settings to connect to the internet.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
20 minutes to mod a wii?
ill have at least 2 done fully.
i do it all the time within 5-10max

hbc
bootmii backup
trucha
cIOS + patched SM IOS
fowarder channels
etc.

on choice of SD+USB or just USB.

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
backing up nand takes 5 minutes +-, so, it's impossible. 20 minutes is the maximum time I take.. Usually if I'm on the console 100% of the time than yes, 15 min. But I'm usually doing HD's with wbfs files also. Anyway, we are not competting. I'm looking for a solution.. ^^

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im just saying pimpmywii is most certainly not faster in any way.

depending on the firmware, get the WADs necessary to do everything offline, then run MMM to install cIOS & IOS updates.
through USB obviously

look at the stickies for everything of course

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
XFlak said:
xzxero said:
im just saying pimpmywii is most certainly not faster in any way.
+1

i'm not saying pimpmywii is bad or harmful... but I personally think ModMii and xzxero's methods are better. But ppl can choose to use w/e they want, that's the beauty of variety
biggrin.gif

Go for MODMII!!! btw Xflak, are you still going to release 4.2.7 today?

Wateva

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does ModMii has an offline mode?
If yes, is it possible to grab a full offline version or I'll have to download all the IOS's beforehand?

I'll be using it since you guys are saying that's it's better/faster..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu