Hacking Update games/system without internal HDD?

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently acquired an RGH'd 360 slim 4gb, but the 4gb isn't being detected by the system so I'm running on a spare 128gb flashdrive for now. Unfortunately the budget is a bit tight lately, otherwise I'd just grab a refurbished internal from Gamestop. I've set up Xex/Dashlaunch/Aurora, but other than that, I'm completely new to 360 hacking, so I just thought I'd ask: is there any way to install game/avatar updates without an internal hard drive? Thanks in advance.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh, that's a good question. my guess is that you need an internal hdd for this. @DinohScene may know for sure. I'll jot it down in my tutorials here and on psx place if you can do that. I really don't think you can though. you'd have to format an external hdd to xbox 360 format (fatx). from what I remember (it's been a long time), you can partition the drive if you want as the drive will be readable in windows. then, use the $SystemUpdate folder to install the update. all of that info should install. make sure you install the update that's the same as the kernel you're on or you'll lost your rgh. let me know if it works. good luck. :)

Reactions: frogboy

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Aurora off of the USB drive for the game updates. If you keep liveblock on, but turn livestrong off you can go online with Aurora and download most title updates to its cache and enable them through it without using any HDD. You’re kinda screwed for install discs like GTAV though. I’d also stay away from using that 4GB nand for any storage purposes, or really even mess around programming or reading it unless absolutely necessary. Those 4GB Coronas have a high nand failure rate, and the only fix is a 16mb conversion if it goes.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do not buy an internal from gamestop. it's just a glorified laptop hdd with a shell at three times the price. a very stupid move by microsoft. those rechargeable battery packs are also a rip off. those are glorified double A batteries (taken apart several, and most are unknown Chinese brands which may be the reason for their high failure rate). ;)

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Aurora off of the USB drive for the game updates. If you keep liveblock on, but turn livestrong off you can go online with Aurora and download most title updates to its cache and enable them through it without using any HDD.
Interesting. Last time I tried, Aurora told me that I couldn't download game updates without an internal. I'll do some more tinkering.
do not buy an internal from gamestop.
What would you recommend?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unknown. long update names go in a folder named cache; short ones go in the folder named 000B0000 iirc. the latter goes in the long 0 folder under the title id of the game. I suppose it's possible that they won't be installable as I've never tried.

also, I thought you meant avatar, kinect, media, etc. updates. I'm thinking you need an internal for that despite being able to partition an external.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

btw, I'm not sure if Aurora or FSD read updates from within its database (i.e. what you download from within those dashboards), so game updates may be possible on an external drive, just not with those two apps. that's only a guess though.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Get a internal drive caddy shell and a 1 or 2 TB 2.5 inch HDD.
Chuck it in the box and viola.
No USB HDD needed.

Follow me tuts on how to install FSD to set it all up.
You can then install Aurora to it if needed.

To simplify copying TU's to your 360 (and DLC n what not) use 360 content manager.
TU's can be snagged off xboxunity.com

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the internal hdds by MS are just glorified laptop hdds. I think you can fit a 12.5mm in one as long as you bend the metal tabs back. that's how I have mine. :D I'm not sure if there's a difference with slims though as I've never owned one.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iirc, you're not limited to the WD scorpio brand with an rgh/jtag which I think you are with a normal system. it's been so long that I don't even remember the make and model of the drive I'm using. I put it in a pink chassis shell. lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox