Update firmware from 1.1.0

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by vivien12, Feb 5, 2016.

1. vivien12
    OP

vivien12 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2011
    Netherlands
    I have a 3DS that has never been updated, it's version 1.1.0 and I want to buy a gateway card, but I heard it only runs on 4 or higher. Now I know that it's possible to update my 3ds firmware with a legit game cartridge, but I was wondering if there are any other ways? I read somewhere that you can update with gateway firmware 1.0, but I don't know if this is true.

2. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    1.1 should include an exclusive 3D video.
    The 3D video can be priceless for maniac while an ordinary exploitable 3DS is cheap and purchasable everywhere.
    I recommend dumping it before upgrading it to 4.X by cartridge.

The video only exists on 1.1.0.
    After 2.0.0 it vanishes.

The video dumping method:
    1) Hard-mod the 1.1.0 3DS
    2) Backup NAND
    3) Upgrade NAND to 4.5 via Fire Emblem Awakening
    4) Launch rxTools via rxinstaller.NDS
    5) Dump FAT16 XORPAD
    6) Decrypt 1.1.0 NAND with FAT16 XORPAD
    7) Find the 3D video out
    Done.

Last edited by MelonGx, Feb 5, 2016
  3. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Wow...ver 1.1.0.... The problem with updating outside of normal procedures is that you have to use some sort of homebrew to boot something like SysUpdater...which may be difficult to do from where you are at. Your best option is likely updating via a legit cartridge to get up to a version with browserhax support, then your options kind of open up from there.

In my opinion, unless you want the GateWay for the FreeCheat functions, you're better off just updating to 9.2 SysNand, installing a CFW to update to latest EmuNand and installing all your games via CIA.

4. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    Depends on your level of knowledge. There is a way to update 1.x with whatever you want if you know how to host your own SOAP server... I always got confused trying to figure that out, so good luck with that.

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong. You need Cubic Ninja and NTR for the SOAP server thing to work, so a cart is your only option. Although... I don't see why a good network person couldn't make it work without all of that. Disconnect your main router from the internet, use your PC's address for DNS and point the proper URL that the 3DS is trying to use to your locally hosted stuff.

If you or someone you know is that good then have a read here: http://yifan.lu/2015/03/23/nintendo-3ds-system-updater/

Last edited by urherenow, Feb 5, 2016
  5. memomo

memomo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nov 30, 2013
    I had a 3D video when I first bought my New3DS is it the same ?

6. MelonGx

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    No it's not the same.
    1.1.0's 3D video (JPN version) is a petit Jazz concert of Mario.

Last edited by MelonGx, Feb 6, 2016
  7. CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Would be nice if we could get a public dump of that v1.1.0 3DS, but I guess we've pretty much got v1.0 EU and USA covered privately.

Anyway, if you have any 4.x game carts that let you update lower/at 4.5, you can use a DS flashcart to install the MSET exploit for RxTools, use sysupdater to update to 9.2, then follow along with everyone else and do the CFW setup from there.

8. DKB

DKB FUCK OFF

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    That'd be a shame if they updated it before dumping it. What a waste.

astronautlevel, Syphurith and Voxel like this.
  9. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I'm curious, is that the OK Go - White Knuckles music video in 3D? I remember my buddy had that, I bought my 3DS like a week later and I was a little disappointed to see my 3DS didn't have that video.

10. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    Please, full dump your console before updating.

cocoPika likes this.
  11. 3DSPoet

3DSPoet GBAtemp Fan

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    If it's really necessary to hardmod in order to do a dump, that's probably beyond the OP's scope or interest...

What I miss from 3DS of old is the 3D Pokedex app that was free back in the day. :D

MelonGx likes this.
  12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    I still have that with all the Pokémon! Memories...

13. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay
    Op do you have cubic ninja? I would highly recommend doing a nand dump for otp

Syphurith likes this.
  14. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    I have the 3D videos. I grabbed them from NUS before Nintendo stubbed them. I have them in .cia format, but the caveat is that because they are system titles, you cannot install your same region's file. So you can install Europe and Japan on US and US and Europe on Japan but not the same one.

And all three regions have a different video. In the US we had OK Go - White Knuckles (and yes, it's in 3D for whoever asked) and the others were something else that I cannot recall at the moment.

I had hoped somebody could convert them to .3ds format so you could just load them with a Gateway or similar, but apparently because they are "firmware files" and not actual games, it's impossible. (boo hiss)

On the other hand, 3D Visual Experience (the one that comes with N3DS that somebody else in this thread asked about) has been dumped as a .3ds, because that's technically a download (also a "legit cia") rather than part of the firmware.

So tl;dr there's no need to get hardmodded just to grab those videos.

MelonGx and LarBob like this.
  15. ketal

ketal aiueo

Aug 20, 2015
    Italy
    Would you mind uploading those videos somewhere? I can pack them region-free and make them installable to sd

16. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Sure thing, I don't know if these are technically allowed though because they're firmware files.

All I did, though, was use make_cdn_cia with the right title IDs (which have since been stubbed, I did this like two years ago)

Here's a link.

The CIAs are just the output of make_cdn_cia, and as-is you can install the two that aren't of your region. If you're able to make region-free ones, be my guest! I'd also appreciate a .3ds format since I'd rather just watch the videos from a Gateway than have to install the stupid things...

anonymoose, MRDOCA and MelonGx like this.
  17. MelonGx

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    So did the save :P it stored inside the Extdata and it's so large :D

18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Maybe someone in Europe would harmod his console for free for the sake of the community? Then OP gets a hardmodded console which can be very useful.

19. MRDOCA

MRDOCA GBAtemp Regular

Nov 19, 2014
    New Zealand
    If you do this please flick me a pm with the links.

20. Syphurith

Syphurith Beginner

Mar 8, 2013
    Switzerland
    Xi'an, Shaanxi Province
    1.You can use payload with CubicNinja to get your OTP dump and NAND backup (Decrypted). OTP dumping is only available for 1.0-2.2.
    2.If yours is a JPN console, please dump the NAND first. You could contact AHP_Person to have it packed back as downgrade pack.
    3.If you could borrow a SKY from your friend. Get it with CubicNinja, and any game of 4.x.
    4.Dump the OTP and NAND first. Then use 4.x game to update to 4.x, exploit MSET, use CFW to update to 9.0-9.2, with packs from that iso site.
    There could be videos and other things useful for others. So if you just update before dumping it, you are spoiling your own console.

MelonGx likes this.