Hacking Update .cia's with retail games?

TotalInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, quick question. New smash bros update out, and I wanna play with friends, but I'm on sysnand 9.2/emunand 9.4, and a new version update just came out. Now, my smash bros is retail, and I have been playing it from sysnand (using my gateway and emunand for everything else) to play with friends, but a new update is out and I'll need to update to keep playing online.

Will I be able to download an update .cia and install it in gateway mode, having it apply to my game in sysnand? If not, will it work if I install the update .cia in gateway and play smash in classic or gateway mode? I hear that going onto the eshop with any non bought .cia on your sd will immediately delete them, this means it's unsafe to install the update from the latest emunand version, correct? Just making sure I keep my games while also having an updated game to play with friends.

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just play the game in classic mode? That way you can have the update cia and not worry about things getting deleted via sysnand.

TotalInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just play the game in classic mode? That way you can have the update cia and not worry about things getting deleted via sysnand.

I just do it since I'm lazy (I don't go on the eshop or open system settings in sysnand anyway, so it's a non issue). I just want to know if I can download and install the update .cia with devmenu, and it will apply to smash bros, being a retail game. I don't mind playing it on classic from now on, but so far I had just been running it off of sysnand.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah you will probably have to update and get it from eshop, afaik cia installed updates will only work in gateway mode, to use the update with a retail card you will need to download it from the eshop

TotalInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah you will probably have to update and get it from eshop, afaik cia installed updates will only work in gateway mode, to use the update with a retail card you will need to download it from the eshop

It's a retail .cia, installed on my SD, are you able to play those in gateway mode?

Edit: I can load smash bros on gateway, but I get an error asking me to reset my save data, which I definitely don't want to do.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's a retail .cia, installed on my SD, are you able to play those in gateway mode?
you can use any cia installed content in gateway mode, but only titles installed legitimately via the eshop will work in classic mode, so if you just download a smash bros update off the internet and install it via dev menu it will not work in classic mode

oh and yeah you can play legitimate eshop purchases in gateway mode

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm baffled why someone would buy a retail eshop game on a Gateway system. A retail cart I could understand but an eshop game? Surely you knew this would cause problems eventually. I mean, and of all games smash bros. Which has had more updates than any other single game in the 3ds's history. Seriously... What the hell?

TotalInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oof, classic mode also gives the save data error.

you can use any cia installed content in gateway mode, but only titles installed legitimately via the eshop will work in classic mode, so if you just download a smash bros update off the internet and install it via dev menu it will not work in classic mode

Alrighty, thank you, guess it's not possible. It is true that going on the eshop with installed .cias deletes them, right? I've only heard this, obviously never tested it.

I'm baffled why someone would buy a retail eshop game on a Gateway system. A retail cart I could understand but an eshop game? Surely you knew this would cause problems eventually. I mean, and of all games smash bros. Which has had more updates than any other single game in the 3ds's history. Seriously... What the hell?

You're spunky, I like you. To answer your terribly thought out question, the game was installed well before I got a gateway. Why would I redownload smash brothers as a .cia if I already have it installed with hours of progress? That'd just be silly.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
lots of people would of been buying eshop games etc before ultra was released, so its understandable there would be people who have legitimate eshop titles who are now using gateway.......personally i have never bought anything really from eshop that has a full retail release, i would rather be able to resell if i need to rather than having it locked to my account forever with no way of getting any money back for it

TotalInfinity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lots of people would of been buying eshop games etc before ultra was released, so its understandable there would be people who have legitimate eshop titles who are now using gateway.......personally i have never bought anything really from eshop that has a full retail release, i would rather be able to resell if i need to rather than having it locked to my account forever with no way of getting any money back for it

It was actually a friend gifting me an eshop card so I could play the game with them, long distance stuff. I would rather have had it on retail cart too ;_;

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I think the Japanese version of fantasy life has had more updates

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Oof, classic mode also gives the save data error.

Alrighty, thank you, guess it's not possible. It is true that going on the eshop with installed .cias deletes them, right? I've only heard this, obviously never tested it.

You're spunky, I like you. To answer your terribly thought out question, the game was installed well before I got a gateway. Why would I redownload smash brothers as a .cia if I already have it installed with hours of progress? That'd just be silly.

Fair call, and the getting it as a gift thing makes sense. I think you might have to suck it up and start a new savegame unfortunately :( sorry dude.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
when did nintendo start using the new key encryption? does it apply to every game? I bought my 3ds xl in dec 2013, then downloaded mario kart 7 and mario 3d land(I think this game even in jan 2014). I kept both games and they are now on my emunand.
after that I downgraded and formated my sysnand. the save files of both games are still working.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
when did nintendo start using the new key encryption? does it apply to every game? I bought my 3ds xl in dec 2013, then downloaded mario kart 7 and mario 3d land(I think this game even in jan 2014). I kept both games and they are now on my emunand.
after that I downgraded and formated my sysnand. the save files of both games are still working.
Here - read this http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_Titles_with_7.x_Encryption

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr