Unused fan port

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kj4860, Nov 22, 2008.

Nov 22, 2008

Unused fan port by kj4860 at 6:24 AM (1,297 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. kj4860
    OP

Newcomer kj4860 Member

United States
    So after replacing my launch Wii's fan that has probably been burnt out for an long/unknown amount of time with a Wiisper fan from Talismoon, i am left with an empty port from which the stock fan was powered. Is there anything to do with this port now? Anything interesting? Maybe power a set of LED's? Maybe power a George Forman Grill? [​IMG]

2. Banger

Member Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

United States
    I think there are LED fans you can use. Google "wii case modding" Should find everything that is already out.

3. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    This belongs in the Wii Hardware section.

This isnt "hacking" [​IMG]

P.S.

Did the Wiisper fan share the DVD drive's connection?

Was it easy to install / only the dvd's power connection was touched correct?

4. kj4860
    OP

Newcomer kj4860 Member

United States
    Ah yes, sorry about that. Mod will move i guess..

You replace the white plug from the MB to the drive with their version which has 4 lines running out of it to a female socket that is the receiver for the new fan's plug. I am fairly certain that plugging the fan into the stock socket wouldn't go over so well.

It CAN be easy... I had to sit down and wonder why my drive wasn't powering up after the install. I figured out that the female end of the new white plug that goes to the drive bent one of the pins inside the receiver socket. Taking special care, it only took seconds to fix. So yes, you only mess with this line but it involves almost a full tear down of the Wii in order to plug it into the motherboard. Just gotta be careful about all of it and pay special attention to how much force you are applying to the plug.

and Banger:

Thanks but this is a LED fan. I was wondering if there is anything to do with this now empty port where the stock fan was once plugged.

5. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    I thought the Wiisper fan kit included a splitter so that you could just split the power cable so that it power both the DVD drive and the Wiisper fan without removing the DVD drive, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info though I'm not up for installing that as the brown ZIF connector, that connects the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the DVD drive, is very fragile. I have already broken one of those by accident, and I refuse to ever again touch that fragile piece of hardware.

6. Banger

United States
    I suppose it could be done however, the fans are usually their for a reason you do NOT want to over heat your system. As far as I know there isnt something like that on the market but if you buy a few fans and take out the LED's and leave the power unit connected you could string a few of them. However this DIY project could go really wrong if you do not know what you are doing. I have actually been looking for some interesting DIY projects such as this so when I get some spare money I will let you know if I am successful.

7. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    If you know your way around the Wii's motherboard, you could wire all your fans into the USB ports for power... just be VERY careful with your soldering iron...

would eliminate the delicate work around the DVD drive... there's plenty of room in the case to string a few wires from the USB ports to where ever you'd wanna put a fan... dremel some holes on the sides to pop in a fan or two... just make sure the air flow is correct. Don't wanna put 2 fans that blow against each other... wanna get a full flow going... one fan pulling air in, the other pushing it out... perfect flow!

8. Banger

United States
    Quick question... Does the DVD drive need the "heatsynk" That it has in there? It is just a metal plate really. Mine is a bit bent its in there but still bent by the screws so taking it apart and putting it back together a few times will def strip the screws. Can I do without it? If not where could I find a replacement. (all I know is they were not in the older models which makes me think it is not needed.

Sorry to highjack the thread a bit, but its KINDA related >_>

9. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    that metal plate is there just to make sure the PCB's dont touch each other...

just toss a sheet of paper, or thin cardboard in there, and it should be fine... just make sure the paper isn't resting on something that get's HOT...

FIRE BAD!

10. Banger

United States
    Sweet I will probably be doing a lot of personal modding to my Wii. Time to PIMP my ride!!! Err Wii...