Hacking Unused fan port

kj4860

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So after replacing my launch Wii's fan that has probably been burnt out for an long/unknown amount of time with a Wiisper fan from Talismoon, i am left with an empty port from which the stock fan was powered. Is there anything to do with this port now? Anything interesting? Maybe power a set of LED's? Maybe power a George Forman Grill?
unsure.gif

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think there are LED fans you can use. Google "wii case modding" Should find everything that is already out.

kj4860

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tichinde925 said:
This belongs in the Wii Hardware section.

This isnt "hacking"
tongue.gif

P.S.

Did the Wiisper fan share the DVD drive's connection?

Was it easy to install / only the dvd's power connection was touched correct?

Ah yes, sorry about that. Mod will move i guess..

You replace the white plug from the MB to the drive with their version which has 4 lines running out of it to a female socket that is the receiver for the new fan's plug. I am fairly certain that plugging the fan into the stock socket wouldn't go over so well.

It CAN be easy... I had to sit down and wonder why my drive wasn't powering up after the install. I figured out that the female end of the new white plug that goes to the drive bent one of the pins inside the receiver socket. Taking special care, it only took seconds to fix. So yes, you only mess with this line but it involves almost a full tear down of the Wii in order to plug it into the motherboard. Just gotta be careful about all of it and pay special attention to how much force you are applying to the plug.

and Banger:

Thanks but this is a LED fan. I was wondering if there is anything to do with this now empty port where the stock fan was once plugged.

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I thought the Wiisper fan kit included a splitter so that you could just split the power cable so that it power both the DVD drive and the Wiisper fan without removing the DVD drive, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info though I'm not up for installing that as the brown ZIF connector, that connects the ribbon cable from the motherboard to the DVD drive, is very fragile. I have already broken one of those by accident, and I refuse to ever again touch that fragile piece of hardware.

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it could be done however, the fans are usually their for a reason you do NOT want to over heat your system. As far as I know there isnt something like that on the market but if you buy a few fans and take out the LED's and leave the power unit connected you could string a few of them. However this DIY project could go really wrong if you do not know what you are doing. I have actually been looking for some interesting DIY projects such as this so when I get some spare money I will let you know if I am successful.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you know your way around the Wii's motherboard, you could wire all your fans into the USB ports for power... just be VERY careful with your soldering iron...

would eliminate the delicate work around the DVD drive... there's plenty of room in the case to string a few wires from the USB ports to where ever you'd wanna put a fan... dremel some holes on the sides to pop in a fan or two... just make sure the air flow is correct. Don't wanna put 2 fans that blow against each other... wanna get a full flow going... one fan pulling air in, the other pushing it out... perfect flow!

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick question... Does the DVD drive need the "heatsynk" That it has in there? It is just a metal plate really. Mine is a bit bent its in there but still bent by the screws so taking it apart and putting it back together a few times will def strip the screws. Can I do without it? If not where could I find a replacement. (all I know is they were not in the older models which makes me think it is not needed.

Sorry to highjack the thread a bit, but its KINDA related >_>

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that metal plate is there just to make sure the PCB's dont touch each other...

just toss a sheet of paper, or thin cardboard in there, and it should be fine... just make sure the paper isn't resting on something that get's HOT...

FIRE BAD!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If your internet speeds are fast enough. Streaming 4k takes alot. I used to only have 20mb sec, and 4k struggled. Now I have 300mb sec and 4k plays fine.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i only have like 1 or 2 mb sec
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you feed the hamster in your internet router? It prob died and is running slow now.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why did you start saying my pc has a hamster in the first place?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, furry grandma?