OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Considering the UDK is free for non-commercial development (and can be commercially-bought for $99 and is royalty-free for the first $50,000 of profit) I've considered getting it to tinker with. I don't have any 3D game creation experience and it'd be something to play around with and encourage me to do more 3D modeling. Given that the base engine was recently shown to run on flash (making concepts such as installs and such a non-issue for low-content games and making cross-platform low-content games easier) it seems even better, assuming the improvement is also given to the free UDK as well.

Does anybody have any experience with it?

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Unfortunately I don't, but I'd love to.

I've been wanting to download the UDK for a while to mess around with, I'll probably download it now. So, if you find something, I'd be very thankful if you'd let me know
happy.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm curious too, for the same reasons funnily enough. I've had some rough ideas for a game over the past few months, and Unreal seems to be the best place to start.
I'll refer a friend to this thread, maybe he can shed some light on this wizardry.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
(wow, gotta get used to the new layout first, haven't been here in a while. Oo)

The UDK is a very good starting point for 3d stuff, as it provides a complete game engine + the tools needed to create levels.
You can start of by reading tutorials about the Unreal Editor or rather UDK specific tools, as the UDK editor has got some additions. Also the UDK comes with some very simple default content that you can use to play around and learn how to use it.

It's a lot of fun to play around with either way and it's pretty easy to get into. :)
You create simple geometrical forms, put textures on them and then if you want to get details you create models in an external modeling application (for example 3ds max or maya, both are free if you are a student, otherwise they cost a fuckton but you could arr it...) and put them ingame, which is pretty simple as you basically just gotta export it from the application and press the import button in the UDK. The UDK also comes with a default UnrealTournament like shooter code, which is good enough to get started with making your own FPS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome