Homebrew Unlaunch DSi | First public bootcode exploit for DSi

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resorting to personal attacks twice in a row now while dodging any questions or points I bring up isn't helping your case.

You haven't made a good point, so stop.
Prove me wrong, then. If I'm making a terrible point, surely you can dispute it objectively rather than using baseless (and incorrect!) accusations.

Last edited by jerbear64,

DSUPERY92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I shouldn't even bother replying as I've tried to make you understand this multiple times, but I am against my better judgement.

Restoring a NAND backup is unsafe, and nobody should be doing it.

The bricks you're talking about is because people are using fwTool to restore. fwTool is a very unsafe tool for restores, the license for the program even says "don't use this", fwTool 2.0 removed the restore ability for good reason, and no safer tools exist.

If you really want to restore a NAND, you should at least have the technical understanding to check the sha1sum fwTool spits out against a backup with the footer removed manually. If users don't do this, it is entirely on them if they brick their system.

Furthermore, restoring an entire NAND backup just to remove a TMD file that's only a few kilobytes is absurd. I understand no uninstaller exists (besides TWLNF but that's unsafe in its own merit) but that doesn't make an entire restore a good idea.
No, you're complaining about @Sha8q because its guide to unlanuch requires that you have to restore a backup for a file change.
But unlaunch developers have not released an unlaunch uninstaller and then if I'm not mistaken you can not access the nand DSi directly from the console to make changes, it's not like the 3ds that it's easy to do everything, remember that at the time of DSi 'MOD only if "could" be considered mod, was the R4, at the time only this could be done for DSi and see now, Ugopwn, sudokuhax and so on and so forth, but now there are at least CFW. to uninstall unlaunch I had to downgrade but I did not know that it was uninstalling me (of course it was in my plans to uninstall it) and I took the opportunity to explain how I uninstalled unlaunch, that the guide was not mine either but I wanted to HIGHLIGHT how I did, I file the zip file, homebrew and all because if in doubt the guide will be deleted at least we have a copy (but if it will be deleted there will be reasons). So please do not complain about using a backup.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I shouldn't even bother replying as I've tried to make you understand this multiple times, but I am against my better judgement.

Restoring a NAND backup is unsafe, and nobody should be doing it.

The bricks you're talking about is because people are using fwTool to restore. fwTool is a very unsafe tool for restores, the license for the program even says "don't use this", fwTool 2.0 removed the restore ability for good reason, and no safer tools exist.

If you really want to restore a NAND, you should at least have the technical understanding to check the sha1sum fwTool spits out against a backup with the footer removed manually. If users don't do this, it is entirely on them if they brick their system.

Furthermore, restoring an entire NAND backup just to remove a TMD file that's only a few kilobytes is absurd. I understand no uninstaller exists (besides TWLNF but that's unsafe in its own merit) but that doesn't make an entire restore a good idea.
Then the fact of the backup that you can not restore because if you restore the backup of FWTOOL 2.0 with FWTOOL 1.6 / 1.6.1, you find your beautiful DSi with the bootrom error and then if @Sha8q said that the backup is not there will be a reason to restore it.

Last edited by DSUPERY92,

DSUPERY92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you only made that guide to get a quick buck.
Hahahahahahaha I died with laughter when I read this, how do you make money with a guide on Gbatemp hahahaha, clickbate on a gbatemp guide on how to "uninstall unlaunch" (actually how to brick the DSi but I do not even know where find the guide and I will not even follow with a gun pointed at the head)

Last edited by DSUPERY92,

DSUPERY92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I thought the guide was on Gbatemp ... oh well I did not know that the guide is jerbear64.

But the only guide to follow is however just jerbear64, if dsiguide.me redirects to dsi.cfw.guide, but a friend of mine following the guide, installing the cfw, you find the dsi that with the cfw starts every so often, sometimes only black screen and sometimes it works, but if it starts with unlaunch it starts perfectly.

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And so,I spotted adverts here. So,he really doing bucks on this.
I don't own the cfw.guide domain, so I have no control over the advertisements, the advertisement token is not mine, and revenue does not go to me.

I think he mustn't because he even not designed this site in css with html. He just copypasted from Plailect.
Plailect is using a publicly available Jekyll theme called Minimal Mistakes, which most other "guide" sites subsequently adopted. It's Luke's old guide (and one of my older ones since it was a fork of Luke's) that was modifying the 3ds.guide HTML manually. dsi.cfw.guide just generates a similar looking site.

Also,there was guide from LukeHasAWii...
Luke's guide was inconcise and didn't update when it needed to. When it first came out it was nothing but a placeholder for exploits that didn't exist.

you find the dsi that with the cfw starts every so often, sometimes only black screen and sometimes it works
And this is exactly why I wish both Unlaunch and Hiya had any debug options. Hiya could receive one since it's open source, but one for Unlaunch is entirely up to nocash. What's annoying is that I don't have any systems with these problems and I don't know if they'd happen in NO$GBA.

xxd3d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I attempted to install unlaunch and succeeded but I actually didn't like the splash screen when you power on the dsi. I was wondering if there was anyway to disable that and restore to original dsi boot or to uninstall unlaunch completely.
Thanks if anyone knows

Also I already deleted the dsi boot

I'll try redoing the install again on saturday.
But If I succeed in installing Hiyacfw, how and where do I disable splash screens?

Getting confused and a little stuck.

The dsi.cfw.guide is bad? I was following it for a little until I saw some posts saying it's not so great.

I've already gotten to the point of installing Unlaunch. My girlfriend hates the new splash screen and wants the original back.

Should I follow through with this guide and would I be able to re-enable the old Nintendo Splash "Touch to Start?"

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding uninstalling unlaunch: I'm pretty sure that the installer has an option to uninstall it.
Sadly it doesn't, I emailed nocash about the possibility of adding the functionality but he never replied back and the functionality still isn't there.

This counts as the unsafe method I was talking about, as it requires a full NAND reflash.
I have seen systems brick while reflashing their NAND- fwTool stops at an arbitrary block and the system never boots again, since the NAND was worn out by all of the writing done to it. This isn't a scare tactic.

DSUPERY92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did not say that it is safe but the only method, yet I have prayed that nothing happened and luckily nothing happened but always risky

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omNI5x06fk