Hacking Unintentional Autobooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
It's useful for autobooting a cfw. Some guys here did it by accident and their wii u loads cfwbooter on boot.
Unfortunately I could not reproduce this.
How early on boot did the homebrew launch? If it's at the same place a normal title those then it's no good, just use haxchi with quick start

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How early on boot did the homebrew launch? If it's at the same place a normal title those then it's no good, just use haxchi with quick start

Very early, before the system menu, it seems.
Also it's weird because there are no red screens. It's a seamless autoboot into the cfw.

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
Very early, before the system menu, it seems.
Also it's weird because there are no red screens. It's a seamless autoboot into the cfw.
So how many seconds from wii u on to homebrew activated? With haxchi it's about 7 seconds

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So how many seconds from wii u on to homebrew activated? With haxchi it's about 7 seconds

I have to ask the guy that, but I guess it's just a bit longer than the normal Wii U boot time.

I would rather use this method though. I don't like the idea of messing with the console's system files when there isn't even a guide about how to set up a hardmod and restore backups.

KevinX8

Trophies
XP
Country
I have to ask the guy that, but I guess it's just the normal Wii U boot time.

I would rather use this method though. I don't like the idea of messing with the console's system files when there isn't even a guide about how to set up a hardmod and restore backups.
Oh so it's nothing special just a glitch also haxchi doesn't modify any system files your thinking of coldboothax which was DOA since quick start blew it out of the water

KiraW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure I know what the problem here is; you're probably trying to turn off the console by holding down the POWER button on the GamePad. Most homebrew won't respond to the "power off" signal normally sent by the POWER button on either the GamePad or the console, but holding the POWER button down for longer will force that thing to turn off without the signal.

So why do you see the Nintendo logo and the Quick Start menu? That's because both of those things aren't streamed by the console - they're entirely stored within the GamePad firmware itself. You can prove this very easily - unplug the console from the wall, then turn the GamePad on. You'll find that the Quick Start menu still shows up. (You may need to turn the console on first - and then obviously off again - before you unplug it if it's been a while since you last turned it on, since the menu might otherwise complain that it hasn't been connected to the console for some time.) This proves that it's not the console that shows you these things, but the GamePad itself. Normally, the console turns on while the GamePad is showing the Quick Start menu. When you select a game to run, the GamePad sends a signal to the console to tell it to run that software.

(Side note: You'll also find that the TV Remote feature also works when the console is unplugged. Once again, that's code contained within the GamePad firmware, not anything enabled by the console.)

So I believe what happened in this case is quite simple - because homebrew does not respond to the "power off" signal, the only thing you turned off using the GamePad's POWER button was the GamePad itself. You'll find that the console is still running. To actually turn the console itself off in your example homebrew you need to hold down the POWER button on the *console*, not the GamePad.

Last edited by KiraW,

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, please. This is nothing worth bumping, and nothing worth getting excited about. I just wasn't turning the console off properly.

Reactions: aidotato5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm