Hacking Unable to access USB HDD to delete corrupt game, any suggestion?

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I'm not quite sure what's happening, basically, I installed Call of Duty Ghosts + Update + DLC but when I try to launch it, it just freezes up in the loading screen (one guy with a balaclava mask), so I thought the installation might be corrupt and I was going to uninstall it via System Settings - USB - Data.

I'm using an external portable HDD USB 3.0 with a Y-USB cable which works fine for launching other games, the problem now is that when trying to access the settings above, I just get:
"Wii U error 160-4711".

I've read articles saying that it might be 'cos the HDD is underpower, so I've tried:
* the 2 USB of the Y-cable plugged in the back of the Wii U
* plugged on the front
* 1 plug on the front and 1 plug on a 0.5A external USB charger
* 1 plug on the front and 1 plug on a 1A external USB charger

Same error in all cases :S

Do you know what I could try for deleting this game or accessing the settings?
Is there any other WUP application to help deleting without accessing the settings?

Thanks!

Reactions: Urphonesux

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems the problem might not be the failed installation. I managed to remove the files under /storage_usb/usr/title for the game, update and dlc and I still have the error when trying to access "Data Management - Delete Data".

I have to say that this was working in the past though, same HDD and same Y-cable.

Any idea if I could try anything else to gain access there?

Reactions: Urphonesux

Krazyeye

Hellooo Nurse!
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
What about reinstalling the game via WUP Installer? It should be able to overwrite the existing game files. I would do the same thing to updates & DLCs also. Good Luck.

Urphonesux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried that but it doesn't work. The only way I can get tasm2 to work is to unplug the hd and run the game from the disc. If usb is connected I get the same error as OP

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is the drive formatted? can't you delete it via pc or some sort of ftping in? I only used sd for backup loading on wii u, but that's how I do it with my Wii and PS360 backups on a usb if I needed to.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My HDD is formatted with the Wii format as well, so it cannot be read by a PC.

I tried reinstalling, but same problem regarding the game not launching.

I ended up deleting those particular files by FTPing in the console, but it was kind of dangerous 'cos the games and folders are just a bunch of numbers, and some of them are installed in the NAND as well, so now, as I cannot access 'Data Management' for whatever reason, I have just the possibility to FTP and manually removing things, which I've read it's quite easy to brick the console if you delete something that's not expected.

I'd prefer if the Wii handles the removal, but I cannot think of any other idea or tool I could use for that :S

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
iirc, this error can be fixed by downloading a demo game off the eshop. it will refresh the installed titles.

I downloaded the 'Zen Pinball 2' from the eshop, then tried to access 'System settings - Data Management - Delete Data - external HDD':

• 1st time with Haxchi run: crashed into a black screen
  • 2nd time after a normal reboot: Same error '160-4711, please contact the manufacturer of the device'

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try disconnecting the external hdd and downloading the game to internal memory. I don't know which file indexes that stuff, but it might be the version.bin, unless that's only for app version.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
try disconnecting the external hdd and downloading the game to internal memory. I don't know which file indexes that stuff, but it might be the version.bin, unless that's only for app version.

But I'm just getting that error, '160-4711, please contact the manufacturer of the device', when trying to access the 'Data Management' area of the external HDD, do you think that disconnecting the external HDD and installing a demo to internal memory will help with that once I plug the external HDD again and try to access it?

I'm trying anyway to see, just saying in case I didn't explain the issue correctly...

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It just finished, that didn't help either.

I installed the demo in the internal memory, then I shut it down, plugged the USB HDD, tried to access it's 'Data Management' section. And got the same error:

8WIQZFc.jpg

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may have no choice but to format the drive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wait, I have an idea. have you tried deleting the game's ticket? then redownloading?

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you may have no choice but to format the drive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

wait, I have an idea. have you tried deleting the game's ticket? then redownloading?

I was thinking that I might have to do that at some point :(. But I need to check how to copy my gamesaves at least from there (via FTP or something first), and I have quite a lot of things so I was trying to avoid that if there's anything else I can try.

* >> have you tried deleting the game's ticket? then redownloading?
What is the meaning of 'ticket'? Is it the game itself?

What I tried was... install an FTP client in the Wii, access it from my PC, find the game+update+dlc going by the numbers of the folders for those items and deleting them via FTP.

I tried access 'data management' but it was still a problem. Then I redownload it again, install it and this time it loaded fine, but going to 'data management' I still have that problem.

And the thing is that I could access it just fine a last time I tried a few months ago, so not sure what has really changed now here...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the ticket is what will allow the game to be bootable. if the game boots, but there's a problem with data management, you may have to reformat. I'm not sure if using a legit ticket will help. it sounds like maybe the hdd isn't getting enough power or fell victim to a power surge. is it just one game that's causing this problem? you could delete the game via ftp, but I believe the game would still be indexed, which is why I suggested a reformat. you can backup your saves with system config tool or savemii.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
if the game boots, but there's a problem with data management, you may have to reformat.
Yeah, that's what happening at the moment. This game and all others are fine, but I'm unable to access data management.

I'm not sure if using a legit ticket will help. it sounds like maybe the hdd isn't getting enough power or fell victim to a power surge. is it just one game that's causing this problem?
I am not even sure when the problem started, I originally thought it might be because of the 1st corrupt installation, but I had not tried to access 'data management' recently, so it might not be even related.

I read about the possibility of not getting enough power and I tried the other day by connecting one of the USB cables of the Y-shaped USB into the console and the other into an external USB charger, but that was even worse as I think sometimes the USB was not even showing up in the Wii U or it was giving the same error if it did.

I'll update the post if I manage to sort it out, or if I end up reformatting and it all works again...

Thanks for the ideas!

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this helps but some games have piracy protection built in. If you try to launch Minecraft: Wii U Edition on a user linked to an NNID, then the game will crash every time on launch and requires a restart. Of course this can easily be circumvented by running the game on another user without one, which takes 1 minute to make. Of course now you receive an actual system error code so I'm not sure now.

mickael28

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I decided to format it just now, otherwise it can take weeks if I leave it.

I can access 'data management' now at least... I still wonder if the failed installation the other day was the culprit of it that was just a red herring.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, don't spoil me stuff pls