• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 3,093
  • Replies 30
D

Deleted User

OP
~TechRadar

Virgin Media has confirmed that it will roll out 100Mb/s broadband this week – doubling the speed of its top level package and claiming that over 12.7 million homes will be able to get the service.

Prime Minister David Cameron spoke about the 100Mb/s service earlier in the week – as you may have read on TechRadar – and the cable giant has now officially announced the news, and confirmed that it will go on sale in December.

Neil Berkett, chief executive officer at Virgin Media said: "The launch of our 100Mb service is a significant milestone in the UK's broadband evolution and a vivid illustration of the power of our next generation network."

Developments

"From establishing the UK's first ever broadband service in 2000 to the launch of 100Mb in 2010, in the space of just ten years, Virgin Media has led the greatest developments in digital Britain," he added.

"The world of possibilities that broadband will enable is set to explode and we're excited about the innovations we can bring to consumers in the next decade."

Virgin Media believes that the rise and rise of IPTV – such as the forthcoming YouView –will make fast connections vital as households connect to the internet through several devices at the same time.

Massive uptake

"We have already seen a massive uptake in the number of customers watching video rich services and bandwidth hungry high definition programmes and clips," added Berkett.

"We are now in a world where people want the best connectivity with whatever screen they are using and those service providers that aren't able to deliver this will simply be left behind."

The 100Mb service will be rolled out across Virgin Media's cable network with thefirst areas to get the "ultrafast" service including parts of London, the South East and Yorkshire.

The roll-out is expected to be complete by mid 2012.

Pricing and details

"As well as providing 100Mb download speeds, the service will also deliver 10Mb upload speeds, giving Virgin Media customers the ability to share content such as live high-definition video with ease," added Virgin Media's release.

"The new 100Mb package comes with a new custom built energy efficient combined modem and wireless 'N' router, with the potential to deliver speeds of up to 400Mb as new services roll-out in the future.

"A typical family will be able to get the new ultrafast service for as little as £35 a monthwhen bought in a bundle, or just £45 per month when bought as a sole product."

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll just wait for all existing broadband services to eventually upgrade to this fast, no sense in paying extra for currently unnecessary speeds.

Besides, Virgin Media is actually one of, if not THE shittiest ISP in Britain.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
arpeejajo said:
The internet I use is only 10Mb/s and I'm extremely pleased with the speed. I don't see why I'd need it to go that fast.
If you're one of those twits that think HD is some sort of miracle and need to upload/download everything in unnecessarily high resolution.

Or you know, never stops running uTorrent.

D

Deleted User

OP
RupeeClock said:
I'll just wait for all existing broadband services to eventually upgrade to this fast, no sense in paying extra for currently unnecessary speeds.

Besides, Virgin Media is actually one of, if not THE shittiest ISP in Britain.
Ever heard of 'Tiscali' ?

Anyways, YouTube's 4K resolution will probably only work with the 100mb/s broadband.

D

Deleted User

OP
...don't say that. I'm on 3mb/s. Doubt I'll ever get past 50mb/s.

"Hey guys! Let me give you up to 100mb/s!"

Real speed=1mb/s.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
max speeds we have here is 24mb but than you don't actually get that speed most of the time unless your living right next door to the fucking exchange. i'm connected to it but it's max speed connected is 13mb YET the max download speed i get is 10mb. this place sux.
hate2.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I have 25 Mb/s.... Quite nice indeed... but 100 Mb/s has been around here in sweden for a long time! (I know my classmate have had it since 2006..)

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
arpeejajo said:
The internet I use is only 10Mb/s and I'm extremely pleased with the speed. I don't see why I'd need it to go that fast.
If you're one of those twits that think HD is some sort of miracle and need to upload/download everything in unnecessarily high resolution.

Or you know, never stops running uTorrent.

Lol. just LOL at your post.
I´d imagine you have a slow internet connection at home?

Silent Storm

Trophies
XP
Country
Gotta agree with RupeeClock about Virgin. My family is on them and there has been times where my internet would just drop for a couple of days, and would have to wait till the start of a new week before someone comes to fix. It's gotten so bad that I've had to go with no internet for whole weeks, only for them to fix it and it goes down again. I want them to switch but they're unwilling and I'm not paying towards it so I can't do much other than take it........

D

Deleted_171835

OP
UK£ 45 = 73.2940929 Canadian dollars for 100 Mbps down.
That's still a lot of money but it's better than Rogers and Bell.
Rogers Ultimate (best internet plan) - 50 Mbps - 99 Canadian dollars/61 British pounds
Bell's Fibe 25 (best internet plan) - 25 Mbps - 52 Canadian dollars = 32 British pounds
10Mb upload speed is nice!

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They should roll this out in Canada and compete with Rogers and drive the cost of internet serve at those kinds of speeds down, cause it's flipping expensive. Bear in mind that this is more corporate targeted then residential.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended