Ultra 64 Mario Bros (The new definitive version of Super Mario 64?)

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here is an awesome Rom hack that I saw just pop up:

Simply put, it's Super Mario 64 where you are given the option before selecting your file to play as Mario or Luigi in single player, or you can select split-screen co-op. Obviously, these have all been available in Mario 64 romhacks before, but this is the first time that I'm aware of that you can play any of those versions within the same title. There is a VS. mode that is coming, but not yet available. The game also includes some dropped beta content like the enemies Blargg or Motos.

Currently, this is only a patch for a .z64 version of the Mario 64 rom, but they say they might later work it into the decompiled build, which of course would really open up the game if they do with native widescreen and a full control camera being chief among what that would mean.

As it stands now, it appears to be an open beta build, so if you do get the game up and running, there will currently be a headline across the top of the game through the whole play session that says V64MB Open Beta 1. I imagine this is to ensure that you update the build to a proper release as soon as one is available.

In the meantime, if you don't mind the header, you can get the open beta version right now, the patch and directions can be found HERE, it specifies what kind of emulators it will run on, it does also run on an Everdrive 64 as well. I also tested the game in the glide version of Wii 64 on my Wii U, and it runs brilliantly there. I may try making it an injected VC title for the Wii U and see if that works as well, I have some doubt that that will also work, but who knows.

I will say, not crazy about the new name change. I get what they're doing, it's Ultra 64 Mario Bros because this was the original vision for Mario 64 when it was being worked on for the then titled Ultra 64: single and multiplayer in the same cartridge. I get that, but I still think a better name would just be Super Mario Bros. 64

Regardless, this is cool, and I look forward to more complete releases in the future.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luigis voice sounds very irritating and it gets grating. Quickly.

Definitive version has to be the 3DS. Game looks and plays the best it ever has and the 3D effect is perfect.
Can you optionally do 2 player mode on the 3DS version? That's gonna be my bar for measuring that now, incorporating the co-op, but having it completely optional, so you can still just play the 1 player version in the same game.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't think so. But there are lots of mods out there using different characters etc.. that I've ignored.
Oh I'm with ya, I ignore those separate character mods too. But Mario 64 was originally planned to offer optional co-op with a second player as Luigi, so when the first co-op hacks were released, I loved them, but was disappointed to see, you only had the option to play those hacks in 2 player mode, and could not play the traditional single player version of the game in the same title. So to now see that such a rom hack is being finished with a beta available now, complete with the option for single player mode to be played as Mario or Luigi depending on your choice. Well it truly feels like the original vision for the game is coming to fruition in this rom hack.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to have co-op Mario 64. Is there a co-op patch that does vertical split widescreen and/or online play somehow?

I wonder why Nintendo dropped the co-op feature. Maybe they planned it to be a selling point of a sequel.

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bro. It's a SM64 Beta Remake based off the named from early confined beta documents from Nintendo of japan.
Pretty much. Love that it gives the ability to choose between single player or 2 player co-op, when other Mario 64 2 player rom hacks, only allow for 2 player, and don't let you choose single player mode.

Of course, the Mario 64 decomp changes all of that, but in terms of what can play on actual N64 hardware and emulators, I do believe that a version of Mario 64 that offers both single player mode and 2 player mode in the same rom would be the definitive version.

asj

Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan

Definitive version has to be the 3DS. Game looks and plays the best it ever has and the 3D effect is perfect.
download?
Post automatically merged:

robotsplaat: download?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo