nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fastrooster said:
Excellent tutorial. Got mine updated to 4.1 without issues. Most games (including Sports Resort) works great through USB Loader GX, except some games that were working before are now giving me black screens. Games such as Ghostbuster and My Sims Racing are two examples. They both still loads through Neogamma, but I am just curious why the 4.1 upgrade steps would affect USB Loader GX? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks again for all the great tips on this thread.

Did you do the step to install cIOS rev10 while having something higher like cIOS rev13a or 14 before? If so that might be why Ghostbusters and such stopped working. You can just run the cIOS installer for rev 13a or 14 and use IOS249 to update it back to that if you did do that.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Ok I hate to sound like a newb but I am still having difficulty wrapping my mind around all of this. Anyway, I have successfully followed the offline method without any issues. My question is: Can someone please write a easy to follow step-by-step instruction on updating to the new CIOS38 rev 14 (found here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios38-rev-14 ). The file in the download is a .dol and I am not sure of the proper way of installing it, and since I am using the offline method the readme for offline installation states: "Copy "IOS38-64-v3610.wad" file to the root of a SD card." And I have no clue as to how to aquire this file.

Thanks in advance.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Ok I hate to sound like a newb but I am still having difficulty wrapping my mind around all of this. Anyway, I have successfully followed the offline method without any issues. My question is: Can someone please write a easy to follow step-by-step instruction on updating to the new CIOS38 rev 14 (found here: http://www.teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko...om-ios38-rev-14 ). The file in the download is a .dol and I am not sure of the proper way of installing it, and since I am using the offline method the readme for offline installation states: "Copy "IOS38-64-v3610.wad" file to the root of a SD card." And I have no clue as to how to aquire this file.

Thanks in advance.

That's just a normal official IOS file that you can get through the NUS downloader. You should also be able to google it too, but the NUS downloader is safer. Providing wad files isn't allowed here so you have to get it yourself, but the NUS downloader should be pretty straight forward. Just be sure to check the box for "pack to wad".

Edit: Taken from the simplistic mod guide http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901&st=0 :

Check "pack -> wad" on the bottom first and on the top where it says "database" click &
navigate to IOS, IOS 38, choose v3610 and click start NUS Download.

Theres's a link to download the NUS Downloader in that guide. /edit

Once you get that IOS wad, you put it on the root of the SD card. Then you run that .dol file of the installer as you would run any application through the homebrew channel. (This goes for pretty much any .dol file you have that needs to be run through the HBC).

Rename the .dol to boot.dol, put it in a folder with whatever name you want to call it like "cIOS installer" or something, then put that folder in a folder called "apps" which should be on the root of your sd card. So it should look like SD:\apps\cIOS Installer\boot.dol

That is how any .dol file should be set up to run through the HBC, just put them in different folders in the apps folder according to their name and they will show up as boxes in the HBC. If the .dol file also comes with a meta.xml and an icon.png, put them in the same folder as the boot.dol for that app and it will make the box look neater and more readable in the HBC.

So anyways put that IOS wad on the root of the card, put the boot.dol file in the directory said above, and then put it in your wii and launch the HBC and you should see a box that says that file path. Launch that and you should come up with the cIOS installer app. I'm actually not positive if this guide works properly on virgin Wii's in the way it installs cIOS rev10 because following the guide, you would only have the Trucha Bug on IOS36 and I don't know how rev10 uses that. So technically after using the Trucha Bug Restorer to install the Trucha Bugged IOS36, you should use the rev14 installer and tell it to use IOS36 on the first prompt, if your cIOS rev10 did install properly you should also be able to use IOS249 here, but IOS36 should work either way as long as you used the TBR properly. Then if you're doing it offline, select wad installation while having that wad on the root of the sd card. (Otherwise just select network installation)

So basically step by step:

1. Use NUS Downloader to get IOS38-64-v3610.wad
2. Put said wad on the root of your sd card.
3. Rename cIOS rev14 installer .dol to "boot.dol"
4. Place that boot.dol in SD:\apps\cIOS installer\
5. Run cIOS installer through HBC
6. At the first prompt, tell it to use IOS36 if you used the Trucha Bug Restorer as stated in the guide.
7. Follow the next few prompts until it asks to do a wad installation or a network installation and select wad installation.
8. ...
9. profit!

ktorpil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ktorpil said:
I have a hardmodded Wii (d2e PRO), all but recent backups (like sports resort, madworld, the conduit) work fine. I'm using 3.2 and want to update to 4.1 to run these recent backups (i think they're not running because of the version). I don't have any preloaders or softmod backup runners. Only HBC, and a couple of VC channels I installed using Wad Manager. I also have regionfree cack and disc autoupdate disabled via Starfall (which I'm considering deleting)

If I don't follow this guide and update using Nintendo's server, will everything be ok? Will I lose anything? And will I miss anything because I didn't follow the guide?

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick and thorough reply, got everything working with youre instructions.
biggrin.gif

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
djkav said:
Okies, 2 questions;

1) I have a virgin 3.2e never touched. Should I follow the online guide and just miss out Step 6?

2) I have a wii that was upgraded to 4.0 using the previous guide on this thread. It has the HBC and Preloader .29. What steps do I need to follow to upgrade to 4.1e, and I presume that I'll need to reinstall preloader .29 after I have finished.

Thanks.
1. If you have cios installed already skip to step 8. If not dont skip anything.
2. same answer as #1

QUOTE(ktorpil @ Aug 10 2009, 07:37 AM) I have a hardmodded Wii (d2e PRO), all but recent backups (like sports resort, madworld, the conduit) work fine. I'm using 3.2 and want to update to 4.1 to run these recent backups (i think they're not running because of the version). I don't have any preloaders or softmod backup runners. Only HBC, and a couple of VC channels I installed using Wad Manager. I also have regionfree cack and disc autoupdate disabled via Starfall (which I'm considering deleting)

If I don't follow this guide and update using Nintendo's server, will everything be ok? Will I lose anything? And will I miss anything because I didn't follow the guide?
Make sure you have cios before you update. You will need to run IOS-Downgrader to restore the trucha bug. You will need to follow the steps after 4.1 upgrade.

fastrooster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
fastrooster said:
Excellent tutorial. Got mine updated to 4.1 without issues. Most games (including Sports Resort) works great through USB Loader GX, except some games that were working before are now giving me black screens. Games such as Ghostbuster and My Sims Racing are two examples. They both still loads through Neogamma, but I am just curious why the 4.1 upgrade steps would affect USB Loader GX? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Did you do the step to install cIOS rev10 while having something higher like cIOS rev13a or 14 before? If so that might be why Ghostbusters and such stopped working. You can just run the cIOS installer for rev 13a or 14 and use IOS249 to update it back to that if you did do that.

I hate to sound like a Newb (I am a Newb), but I am totally lost on what you just said. Yes I did follow every single step in the tutorial so I must have done the cIOS rev10 thing. I have since ran the cIOS38r13b installer and updated it to r13b, but problem remains. What else do I need to do?

Damn I feel so stupid...

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fastrooster said:
nabster92 said:
fastrooster said:

I hate to sound like a Newb (I am a Newb), but I am totally lost on what you just said. Yes I did follow every single step in the tutorial so I must have done the cIOS rev10 thing. I have since ran the cIOS38r13b installer and updated it to r13b, but problem remains. What else do I need to do?

Damn I feel so stupid...

I haven't really heard anything really good about rev13b, which is why I suggested 13a or 14. So try running the installer for rev14 or something. Also I believe ghostbusters is one of the more problematic games to get working through softmodding so don't feel too bad about it.

ktorpil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
assassda said:
Make sure you have cios before you update. You will need to run IOS-Downgrader to restore the trucha bug. You will need to follow the steps after 4.1 upgrade.

Thanks for the reply!

Ok I'll sound like a total idiot but I don't really know that much about the whole thing. Let me do a recap:

1- Update through Nintendo
2- Do steps 12) 13) and 14) on your guide

Right? And also what do you mean by "Make sure you have cios before you update" ? What is a cios and where will I find it? I've been googling the whole thing and I'm unable to find a straight answer...
frown.gif

y69j

Trophies
XP
Country
for some reason i cannot download the online or offline upgrade downgrage zip from mediafire. could some one please direct me to another way to access or download these files.

(or post a direct link
happy.gif
)

ok people, just tried it again and now working yay!
grog.gif
been trying for last two days and always said there was a broken link

Luke7595

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I tried installing 4.0. Everything went okay until I started installing the WAD files.. #11 was broken. It works okay except for my Wii Settings, now I can't access them. What do I do to fix this? Do I reinstall everything, or just that one WAD file?

themperror

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i got a problem here though....
i did all this stuff ( the online downgrade/upgrade) and my wii is just fine but i cant launch games anymore from any backup loader... i burn games on dvd-r with x4 speed and they have always worked until recently i cant even play legit games anymore (the ones i bought) i keep getting read errors like read error 349 backup launcher gamma (the channel) and read error 1101 from neogamma adviced here
also when i start neogamma it says i got rev7... does this have anything to do with it?

edit:(btw the link from mediafire isnt dead it just takes a while to load.. be patient
smile.gif
) (and some typo's)

edit2: i just installed rev14 ( the latest) and still gives me the 1101 error from neogamma.. and the discs i used arent damaged and they worked perfectly 1 day before the update to 4.1E

allenea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok noob questions, followed the guide, messed up the first time around then got it back from the corupted screen. Neo was loaded when i got back to my menu. The only thing i couln't get done was open the config menu and choose back up NAND.
I can play all my backed up games except My sims racing and Ghostbusters. What am i doing wrong now. I can play GI Joe (newest game i have) but not these 2. I always get the green screen. Am i missing a step somehow? Thanks in advance EA

djkav

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
assassda said:
djkav said:
Okies, 2 questions;

1) I have a virgin 3.2e never touched. Should I follow the online guide and just miss out Step 6?

2) I have a wii that was upgraded to 4.0 using the previous guide on this thread. It has the HBC and Preloader .29. What steps do I need to follow to upgrade to 4.1e, and I presume that I'll need to reinstall preloader .29 after I have finished.

Thanks.
1. If you have cios installed already skip to step 8. If not dont skip anything.
2. same answer as #1

Hmm, still a little confused. I know for my question 1) I can follow the guide directly.

But for 2) I already followed this guide when it was updating to 4.0. Do I really have to follow the whole of the guide to go from 4.0 to 4.1 or is there a simplier way?

Is there any benefit to cIOS r14 over r9 or r10?

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

powerplyer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello I could sure use some help. I have a Wii at 3.2U and would like to upgrade to 4.1. I have tried both methods to the tee.

When I do the Online steps I got an error ret = - 1036 when I was on step 11 of installing the 4.1 updater (i check the forums on this error and people say my NAND my be full, but I have no way of checking).

I then tried to install the Offline way and everything went smooth, however the system menu stays at 3.2U. I did not get any errors and everything is still working but could not upgrade to 4.1. Am I missing a step. I was also able to install the preloader without any issues. BTW I used the cios60.wad from the offline files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if I want to run thru the steps aging do I need to uninstall the wad first of can I just install over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto