Hacking ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

vankergr

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't really used my wii in the past year and am looking to update it so I can play some newer games on it. It's an original release Wii with a wiikey mod chip (1.9s). Firmware is 3.2U.

I'm trying to follow this guide, and got HBC and bootmii installed, but I'm geting an awful lot of "Exception (DSI) occurred!" errors when running Trucha Bug Restorer. Is that normal?

Considering I have a modchip, would I still need to do all these steps? Can I just run Waninkoko's updater? I've been lurking for HOURS now for info on updating WITH a modchip, but all I can seem to find is info on updates involving soft-modded wii's.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nintendude92 said:
Am I allowed to ask questions here? I got to the preloader, installed successfully. I reset to get to it as said,

But when I click "Systemmenu Hacks", it says there isn't a hack.ini

How can I resolve that? I recall seeing hack.ini in the sd folder contents. Other than that, this was beyond helpful!

You probably don't have the hacks.ini for your proper firmware and region. Make sure you get a hacks.ini that is from your region and is meant for the system menu version that you are on.

QUOTE(vankergr @ Aug 4 2009, 08:29 PM) I haven't really used my wii in the past year and am looking to update it so I can play some newer games on it. It's an original release Wii with a wiikey mod chip (1.9s). Firmware is 3.2U.

I'm trying to follow this guide, and got HBC and bootmii installed, but I'm geting an awful lot of "Exception (DSI) occurred!" errors when running Trucha Bug Restorer. Is that normal?

Considering I have a modchip, would I still need to do all these steps? Can I just run Waninkoko's updater? I've been lurking for HOURS now for info on updating WITH a modchip, but all I can seem to find is info on updates involving soft-modded wii's.

Since you are on 3.2 you already have the trucha bug and do not need to use the Trucha Bug Restorer. It should tell you in the app that you do not need it if you are below FW 3.3. Just skip to installing your cIOS.

vankergr

Trophies
XP
Country
I got past all the (DSI) errors I was getting earlier, but now when using Waninkoko's updater, it spends half an hour downloading the channels, then immediately when it starts installing, it says:

"[+] Installing "System Menu 4.1U", please wait...
>> Installing title... ERROR! (ret = -1036)

Press any button to restart..."

I've followed all the other steps but this has happened twice now and each time it takes a half hour for all the downloading before it starts installing and produces the error. Is there a list of error codes somewhere?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
vankergr said:
I got past all the (DSI) errors I was getting earlier, but now when using Waninkoko's updater, it spends half an hour downloading the channels, then immediately when it starts installing, it says:

"[+] Installing "System Menu 4.1U", please wait...
>> Installing title... ERROR! (ret = -1036)

Press any button to restart..."

I've followed all the other steps but this has happened twice now and each time it takes a half hour for all the downloading before it starts installing and produces the error. Is there a list of error codes somewhere?

Do the next step with dop-IOS to install IOS60 first then run the updater again.

scousethief

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all , need a little help.

Virgin wii , upgraded to 4.1e this morning
Installed hackmii via bannerbomb.. ok
Cios rev10 installer gives ret-2011
So ran trucha bug restore , all went ok
rev 10 installer still gives ret-2011
ios downgrade just reboots the wii
cios downgrade reboots the wii.

Trucha bug restorer now fails saying ios 15 needs downgrading despite running the downgrader

tried the offline version which givers error 1035 i think.

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before , ive done a fair few wiis now and this is the first to give me a problem like this.

locke06037

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for this. As always, nice tutorial. I've got a system 4.1E now. I can't do it in online mode. It's really good to have an offline installation.

chaos123456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have some questions regarding 1st post:
-1/Is it possible not to backup NAND during softmod? I have finished installing bootmii as IOS but then i noticed i didnt have GC controller, so controlling in bootmii is impossible at the moment
unsure.gif

-2/If 1 is yes, then is there any risks if i still skip backup NAND after i finish installing softmod, backup loaders and CIOSCORP - i plan on using this wii for gaming only so i think after finish these guys, i wont touch my wii' s system or whatever it is

sry if my english is bad
and thanks for answer
smile.gif

badz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 3.3U Wii. I ran Bannerbomb and installed Bootmii and HBC. Installed Wanin's latest CIOS, WAD Manager 1.5, then Backup NAND using Bootmii.

What part i need to skip to update it to 4.1U? Or do I need to do it from the 1st part?

BTW, i'll be using Offline Upgrade.

When I run the Offline Upgrade the first window showed this:

Could Not Find C:\wii00000010000000f00000010000000f.wad
Could Not Find C:\wii000000100000024000000100000024.wad
The system cannot find the file specified.

I look on MooSFV all are in green check...
Tried to run the Offline Upgrade by using clean.bat, same situation.

Is there something wrong?

badz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
chaos123456 said:
I have some questions regarding 1st post:
-1/Is it possible not to backup NAND during softmod? I have finished installing bootmii as IOS but then i noticed i didnt have GC controller, so controlling in bootmii is impossible at the moment
unsure.gif

-2/If 1 is yes, then is there any risks if i still skip backup NAND after i finish installing softmod, backup loaders and CIOSCORP - i plan on using this wii for gaming only so i think after finish these guys, i wont touch my wii' s system or whatever it is

You can Backup your NAND by installing Bootmii as boot2. Try pressing the Buttons on you Wii Console (POWER to navigate and Eject to choose).

Also it's better to backup before installing CIOSCorp.

Better to be safe than never, right?

JMX322

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, just a quick question.

I recently got to System Menu 4.0 using this guide, before the new 4.1 firmware came out. Now, of course, I want to upgrade to 4.1.

I installed the cIOS files before as I followed the System Menu 4.0 guide, but now I've noticed there are a lot of different steps.

My question is: Do I have to still follow each step? Or can I just skip to the 4.1 updater?

chaos123456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
You can Backup your NAND by installing Bootmii as boot2. Try pressing the Buttons on you Wii Console (POWER and Eject) to choose. I don't have my Wii right now.

Also it's better to backup before installing CIOSCorp.

Better to be safe than never, right?

when i installed bootmii, it only let me choose installing as IOS
and when i tried using power and eject button, it didnt work
another question pops up: installing CIOSCorp is optional or must have?

EDIT: nvm that question, i just notice "This section has some risks and is OPTIONAL" in red bold -,- lol how careless of me

badz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@chaos123456
Power Button and The Eject Button only work for boot2 Bootmii. Use a GC Controller to navigate the menu in Bootmii IOS mode.

as for CIOSCorp... in my opinion... use GAMMA LOADER v6 or v7beta... it works for me.

chaos123456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the point is that i dont have GC controller =.=, and the stores near my place have already sold out (the date when they would restock is unconfirmed)
as result, you know, im unable to use bootmii

so at the moment, im looking for more info whether if i can skip backup NAND or not

edit:

QUOTE said:
Never restore a NAND with if bootmii is installed as IOS and you have a working preloader with hbc, wadmanager or something else.

If it's possible to start preloader on another type of brick it's the best solution to reinstall the broken files/remove broken files.

That's so because it's very dangerous to restore a NAND if bootmii is installed as IOS. But if you use the right way to fix some
files with preloader, the risc to get a full brick is very low.
got this from another topic, so it is possible to skip?
and should i install the preloader before doing anything else ?( which means i change step 5 from the 1st post into installing preloader)

594rk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using the offline version to get the ios

and I noticed that it creates IOS38-64-v3609.wad, but only v3610 is available on NUS.

Is it just named wrong or is it actually v3609?

deshwasi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i followed the guide step-by-step. had to do the DOP-IOS step and then do the 4.1 update. was successful but now HBC hangs as well as the GAMMA loader i had earlier since 3.2. any tips on how to get HBC going?

edit: nevermind. had to re-install the HBC from the SD card for some reason. now its working good. great guide OP. just wanted to point out that i also had to do the DOP-IOS step first and then do the firmware-updater to successfully update to 4.1

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chaos123456 said:
the point is that i dont have GC controller =.=, and the stores near my place have already sold out (the date when they would restock is unconfirmed)
as result, you know, im unable to use bootmii

so at the moment, im looking for more info whether if i can skip backup NAND or not

edit:

QUOTE said:
Never restore a NAND with if bootmii is installed as IOS and you have a working preloader with hbc, wadmanager or something else.

If it's possible to start preloader on another type of brick it's the best solution to reinstall the broken files/remove broken files.

That's so because it's very dangerous to restore a NAND if bootmii is installed as IOS. But if you use the right way to fix some
files with preloader, the risc to get a full brick is very low.
got this from another topic, so it is possible to skip?
and should i install the preloader before doing anything else ?( which means i change step 5 from the 1st post into installing preloader)

You can skip backing up your NAND if you can only do an IOS install of bootmii. It's not like it will help you at all before you even have preloader anyways. You can make a NAND backup at any time you want that your Wii is still in a working condition. It's like a system restore point. But generally if you are ever in a case where you bricked your wii and preloader still works and can launch the HBC to load bootmii. You can most likely fix the brick with other means which would be much safer than trying to do a NAND restore from that point anyways, because you still have access to the HBC and from there should be able to run whatever you need to install/uninstall whatever you need to to fix the brick. Don't install preloader until it tells you to install preloader, it is there for a reason, and installing it right before updating is absolutely useless as updating will just delete it anyways.

Also since you can't do a boot2 install of bootmii, you either have a boot2v3 Wii or a boot2v4 Wii. If you have a boot2v4 Wii, DO NOT do the IOS and cIOS downgrader steps. They will likely brick you. They aren't REALLY necessary steps anymore anyways so you can just skip them either way.

zx80

Trophies
XP
Country
I just wanted to say I have gone from 3.4U with only HBC done via the twilight hack to a fully hacked 4.1U using this guide.

Thankyou to everyone who has submitted answers to each problem. I had the 4.1 updater return error -1036 and fixed that by doing the IOS60 update first, then tried 4.1 updater again and it worked.

Next I had the HBC go black screen, but fixed that by uninstalling and re-installing HBC using the first few steps in the guide.

Those were the only problems, it was all really easy but took a bit longer than I expected (worth it though).

Cheers

Deniii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why doesn't The Offline Downgrade/Upgrade guide work on Japanese/Korean Wiis? The tool inside the zip file that's used to download the system firmware offers the Japanese ones (3.2, 4.0 and 4.1).
If I follow the Offline Downgrade/Upgrade up to step 12, isn't it possible to apply it to Jap/Kor Wiis?

Also The Offline Downgrade/Upgrade guide says to install cIOS36_rev10. Is it possible to install cIOS38_rev14 instead? If it's possible, what IOS should I choose?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The bird is the word! +1