Hacking ULTIMATE System Menu 4.0 Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wii Warrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The firmware updater 4.0 keeps failing on me.

3 times it has stopped in the same place

Downloading "system menu 4.0E", please wait....
>> Downloading content #12... ERROR! (ret = -1)

Can someone please help?
Thanks

D

Deleted-119707

brilliant guide. just some questions about preloader...
is it safe to connect to the internet with it installed?
does the update skipper only apply to burned games or official discs?

xarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Hello everybody,

Many months ago I have softmoded my PAL Wii with a SoftMii 2.1.1 package. So my system menu is 3.2E and i can load games via disc channel (that means that I have CIOSCOPRP installed ?). I also have preloader 0.28. I have wifi connection set.

I would now want to upgrade to System menu 4.0 and use the new SD features and get rid of SoftMii.
I would also want to play backed up games through backup loaders and have preloader installed.

My questions are:
1. Is it safe to do System update 4.0 through Nintendo?
2. Will that action completely remove all the stuff that was installed with SoftMii 2.1.1 (preloader, all the IOS-es, CIOS-es) or shoud I do System format after update to system menu 4.0.
3. I would like to use your guide assasda, so is it safe to just update system menu to 4.0 through Nintendo and after that just start your guide (online)?

I watch movies a lot on MPlayerCE through Homebrew channel. Every time i launch HBC it asks me for update HBC to 1.0.3 if i do update, then software downloads and starts Hackmii installer. But installation fails because "there is no known vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii"

4. So if i would do the step 3 in guide:
3) Install the Homebrew Channel and install BootMii as boot2 if possible or as an IOS if boot2 is not available.
...would installation of BootMii fail or not because Nintendo system update ?

thank you all for answers,
xarts

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Venom_Tag said:
Thanks assassda
biggrin.gif

Edit: 2) Insert the SD card in the Wii and go to Data Management>Channels>SD Card press YES on the dialog box that asks to load boot.dol
When I do this step no dialog box comes up asking to load boot.dol.

Did you put the files on your sd card properly? There should be a private folder on the root of the sd card and a boot.dol on the root as well.

Wii Warrior said:

Can someone please help?
Thanks

Are all GC controllers/memory cards and anything in the usb ports all unplugged? If not do that and try again otherwise...I'm not quite sure...make sure your internet is stable?

nicky041192 said:
brilliant guide. just some questions about preloader...
is it safe to connect to the internet with it installed?
does the update skipper only apply to burned games or official discs?

By connecting to the internet to you mean just connecting to anything at all or WiiConnect24? People suggest turning WiiConnect24 off in general due to heat issues and what not so you're better safe than sorry just keeping that off. As for connecting to the internet in like wifi games and stuff that's fine.

The update check should skip any prompts in the disc channel for updates and unless you have CIOSCORP only original games would play from the disc channel to begin with.

QUOTE(xarts @ Jul 4 2009, 03:49 AM)
Hello everybody,

Many months ago I have softmoded my PAL Wii with a SoftMii 2.1.1 package. So my system menu is 3.2E and i can load games via disc channel (that means that I have CIOSCOPRP installed ?). I also have preloader 0.28. I have wifi connection set.

I would now want to upgrade to System menu 4.0 and use the new SD features and get rid of SoftMii.
I would also want to play backed up games through backup loaders and have preloader installed.

My questions are:
2. Will that action completely remove all the stuff that was installed with SoftMii 2.1.1 (preloader, all the IOS-es, CIOS-es) or shoud I do System format after update to system menu 4.0.
3. I would like to use your guide assasda, so is it safe to just update system menu to 4.0 through Nintendo and after that just start your guide (online)?

I watch movies a lot on MPlayerCE through Homebrew channel. Every time i launch HBC it asks me for update HBC to 1.0.3 if i do update, then software downloads and starts Hackmii installer. But installation fails because "there is no known vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii"

3) Install the Homebrew Channel and install BootMii as boot2 if possible or as an IOS if boot2 is not available.

xarts

Don't do that. Just follow the guide as is from where you are. Officially updating while having those things on your system may cause problems and formatting your Wii has an even higher chance of screwing things up.

As for your last question, the actual bootmii installation has nothing to do with anything else except how old your Wii is. Bootmii as an IOS can be installed on ANY Wii regardless, and bootmii can be installed to boot2 on any Wii thats older than about mid 2008ish.

The hackmii installer however will have some problems actually starting up with CIOSCORP being on your Wii so in your case you should do step 7 FIRST (running IOS downgrader) to get rid of CIOSCORP and then start the guide from the beginning and the hackmii installer for bootmii and the updated HBC should work fine.

So basically download the online guide pack, put the files on your sd card properly as said in step 1. Run IOS downgrader through the HBC, then just follow the guide from step 2 on.

xarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
nabster92 said:
xarts said:
Hello everybody,

My questions are:

xarts

Don't do that. Just follow the guide as is from where you are. Officially updating while having those things on your system may cause problems and formatting your Wii has an even higher chance of screwing things up.

As for your last question, the actual bootmii installation has nothing to do with anything else except how old your Wii is. Bootmii as an IOS can be installed on ANY Wii regardless, and bootmii can be installed to boot2 on any Wii thats older than about mid 2008ish.

The hackmii installer however will have some problems actually starting up with CIOSCORP being on your Wii so in your case you should do step 7 FIRST (running IOS downgrader) to get rid of CIOSCORP and then start the guide from the beginning and the hackmii installer for bootmii and the updated HBC should work fine.

So basically download the online guide pack, put the files on your sd card properly as said in step 1. Run IOS downgrader through the HBC, then just follow the guide from step 2 on.

nabster92: thank you for the info. I will do that today in the evening.

yabel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My specs 3.2U w/ tp hack, Preloader .28, Bootmii with a backup of Nand, No cios that I remember but some Ios (madworld) installed. From reading 1000 posts I think I feel brave enough to take it on. I will clean a sd card I have so that it will only have this pack on it so not to interfere with any other stuff (preloader). Should I DISABLE preloader or just have it set to System menu? I will follow your guide including downgrading since I see your point of it to make sure there is no conflicts with cios installed. Any suggestions before I jump in it tomorrow and Im looking at this correct?
Thx for all the posts.

I start at step 6 since I have Wad, hbc and bootmii installed?

Wii Warrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
Wii Warrior said:

Can someone please help?
Thanks

Are all GC controllers/memory cards and anything in the usb ports all unplugged? If not do that and try again otherwise...I'm not quite sure...make sure your internet is stable?

Yes all controllers and memory cards are removed and I have just tried again but still get the same problem.

I was going to do a offline update but after getting the wads from NUSD MooSFV pops up with a box saying
Rename bad files? yes/no

So I have not dared risking the wads.

I am stuck at the minute
hate2.gif

EDIT- What other option have I got to get a "safe" system menu 4.0? - Would an a official nintendo update be ok? I still want to have hombrew and bootmii

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Excellent guide just updated from 3.4E to 4.0E without any probs using offline install and now i can use preloader for my anti brick/brick protection

thanks assassada

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
assassda said:
Retrievil said:
Being that I've already got BootMii and cIOS30rev10 installed, all I would need to do is run a NAND backup then use Wad Manager 1.4 to install CIOS60BF.wad, System Menu v417.wad, and IOS61 v4890.wad all at once, and I would be good to go? Thanks in advance for any help.
yeah just run prepare.bat and install IOS60 IOS61 and SystemMenu417
without bootmii boot2 theres a very small chance of bricking when you install these WADs so just install preloader before and then again after you install WADs

You, sir, are pure awesome on a stick. I'm on SM 4.0 with everything working perfectly. I'm installing wads and transferring them over to my 16GB card right now.

THANK YOU!

Venom_Tag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nabster92 said:
Venom_Tag said:
Thanks assassda
biggrin.gif

Edit: 2) Insert the SD card in the Wii and go to Data Management>Channels>SD Card press YES on the dialog box that asks to load boot.dol

Did you put the files on your sd card properly? There should be a private folder on the root of the sd card and a boot.dol on the root as well.

I forgot the private folder, the only boot.dol is is one of the 7 folders from the apps folder, shoould there be one anywhere else ?
Can i skip the 2nd step if I already have the hombrew channel ?

xarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
xarts said:
nabster92 said:
xarts said:
Hello everybody,

My questions are:

xarts

I tried to do this procedure today. I ran IOS Downgrader (it downloaded IOS 16 or something like that). Then I went from step 2 of online guide, to load boot.dol, but it didtn ask me anything. Should I now just upgrade my HBC through HBC update which comes with BootMii? or did I do something wrong? I formated my SD card and put all the stuff on.

Now I checked IOS downgrader did remove CIOSCORP, I put copied game to wii and the banner for game has loaded in disc channel. Does this mean that IOS downgrader didnt remove CIOSCORP?

thank you

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xarts said:
xarts said:
nabster92 said:
xarts said:
Hello everybody,

My questions are:

xarts

I tried to do this procedure today. I ran IOS Downgrader (it downloaded IOS 16 or something like that). Then I went from step 2 of online guide, to load boot.dol, but it didtn ask me anything. Should I now just upgrade my HBC through HBC update which comes with BootMii? or did I do something wrong? I formated my SD card and put all the stuff on.

Now I checked IOS downgrader did remove CIOSCORP, I put copied game to wii and the banner for game has loaded in disc channel. Does this mean that IOS downgrader didnt remove CIOSCORP?

thank you

Hmm...did the game still actually load? And yes upgrading HBC through the update will load the same thing that step 2 would load without the HBC using bannerbomb so do that update and install bootmii with it as the guide says.

So first things first, run that HBC update to load that same boot.dol of step 2 and then do steps 3-5 if you can install bootmii to boot2 and make a nand backup then anything you do from that point will be totally safe. If something does happen to go wrong then you can do a nand restore with bootmii and just reset whatever you did that messed it up.

So if you ARE able to get that up and running then you should be able to just continue doing everything in the guide as is. If IOS and cIOS downgrader don't get rid of CIOSCORP then the 4.0 updater should update all of the existing IOS's which should take care of it.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Venom_Tag said:
nabster92 said:
Venom_Tag said:
Thanks assassda
biggrin.gif

I forgot the private folder, the only boot.dol is is one of the 7 folders from the apps folder, shoould there be one anywhere else ?
Can i skip the 2nd step if I already have the hombrew channel ?

The private folder has bannerbomb in it and that folder should be in the root of the sd card. Then in the root of the sd card also there should be a boot.dol (or boot.elf) if there is any sort of .dol or .elf file there that isn't named boot.dol/.elf then rename that .dol/.elf to boot.dol (or .elf). Then in every one of those folders within the apps folder there should be a boot.dol. Rename any .dol's that aren't named boot.dol in each folder to boot.dol/

If you already have the HBC you can run the auto update when you launch the HBC to run the same thing step 2 would run. The important thing in those steps is bootmii.

xarts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
nabster92 said:
xarts said:
xarts said:
nabster92 said:
xarts said:
Hello everybody,

My questions are:

xarts

thank you

Hmm...did the game still actually load? And yes upgrading HBC through the update will load the same thing that step 2 would load without the HBC using bannerbomb so do that update and install bootmii with it as the guide says.

So first things first, run that HBC update to load that same boot.dol of step 2 and then do steps 3-5 if you can install bootmii to boot2 and make a nand backup then anything you do from that point will be totally safe. If something does happen to go wrong then you can do a nand restore with bootmii and just reset whatever you did that messed it up.

So if you ARE able to get that up and running then you should be able to just continue doing everything in the guide as is. If IOS and cIOS downgrader don't get rid of CIOSCORP then the 4.0 updater should update all of the existing IOS's which should take care of it.

Yes. the game loaded an played just fine.
Now the HackMii allows me to install new version of HBC and DVDX (automatic HBC update), but I can only install BootMii as an IOS. Will i risk my Upgrade if I install it like that ?

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii Warrior said:
I was going to do a offline update but after getting the wads from NUSD MooSFV pops up with a box saying
Rename bad files? yes/no

I am stuck at the minute
hate2.gif

EDIT- What other option have I got to get a "safe" system menu 4.0? - Would an a official nintendo update be ok? I still want to have hombrew and bootmii
Just run clean.bat and try to download the files again
official nintendo update would work just make sure you have cIOS installed beforehand

EDIT: apparently Nintendo has changed the system menu files on their servers... should still be safe to install but sfvs will report wrong

InTheDeep

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
assassda said:
Wii Warrior said:
Rename bad files? yes/no

I am stuck at the minute
hate2.gif

Just run clean.bat and try to download the files again
official nintendo update would work just make sure you have cIOS installed beforehand

EDIT: It seems that Nintendo has changed the system menu files on their servers... should still be safe to install but sfvs will report wrong
I had alot of trouble with this too got a good system menu 4.0E download in the end but had to try 10/20 times or so at least.

Right my prob though is this assassda if u can help ?

MY Wii was v3.4E
and now Wii is v4.0E
Pal Wii
I started online guide at step 6
as i already installed HBC DVDx & BootMii from bannerbomb hackmii install before

Trying the online guide what happened
cIOS38_rev13-Installer added to folder to see if i could install instead of cIOS36_rev10-Installer
I tried Installing cIOS38_rev13-Installer to IOS249 using Network install mode but had no IOS249
so continued as per guide ish .
6) Install cIOS36 rev10 to IOS249 using Network install mode
Error installing Custom IOS ticket...Error! (ret = -2011)

Stupidly i did step 8 before step 7 doh but it didn't seem to do anything so did 7 the 8
7) Downgrade system IOS files using IOS Downgrader
8) Downgrade to 3.2 using cIOS Downgrader even if you are already on 3.2 run this

9) Run the 4.0 Updater YEP
DOWNLOADING IOS SUCCESSFULLY 37 ,38 , 50 ,51 ,53 , 55, 60 ,61 ,SHOPPING CHANNEL , PHOTO CHANNEL 1.1 , SYSTEM MENU 4.0E
INSTALLING IOS SUCCESSFULLY 37 ,38 , 50 ,51 ,53 , 55, 60 ,61 ,SHOPPING CHANNEL , PHOTO CHANNEL 1.1 , SYSTEM MENU 4.0E
couldn't say NO to install at this point but this is at step 9
not 10 so assume all is as should be
Pressed the A buttonto Restart Wii
went to homebrew channel to start step 10
10) Run the IOS60 updater
say NO to install IOS61
say YES to install IOS60
say YES to patch IOS60
say NO to install the shop channel

But clicking to start HomeBrew Channel and just got black screen waited a couple of minutes nothing happened
couldn't restart Wii so had to
take plug out .
Wii wouldn't start at all no red light so assumed i had mullard the Wii .
But after a bit with plug out the
Wii started
and i reinstalled HBC .

Wii is now v4.0E
So whats the smart move to make next please
try to continue from step 10 of online again ?
Do the Offline or follow this link http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112385 i was given by kobykaan ?

Also would you or anybody else have some idea where my Wii is at ?
What is or isn't installed
what it's position is as to the actions iv taken ?

Many Thanks

InTheDeep

assassda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
InTheDeep said:
Wii is now v4.0E
I dont understand what youre trying to do... if youre on 4.0 already whats the problem? just enjoy your wii now
If you want to downgrade use cIOS installer

@xarts: it says right in the guide that IOS install is fine. please read thoroughly

InTheDeep

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
assassda said:
InTheDeep said:
Wii is now v4.0E
I dont understand what youre trying to do... if youre on 4.0 already whats the problem? just enjoy your wii now
If you want to downgrade use cIOS installer

@xarts: it says right in the guide that IOS install is fine. please read thoroughly
I only got up to step 9 in online guide

Restarted the Wii went to homebrew channel to start step 10
and just got black screen waited a couple of minutes nothing happened
couldn't restart Wii turn on /off
so i had to take plug out .
Wii wouldn't start at all no red light so assumed i had mullard the Wii .
But after a couple of minuets with the plug out the Wii started
and i reinstalled HBC. not sure why but did

Thats as far as i have got , im not sure as to what ive done what i haven't done and were my Wii stands in the scheme of things .
im now on system 4.0E so i spose i have done that .
Ultimatly id like to load games from a USB HDD soon as i get this done and can then order HDD ,
plus homebrew which i believe i can install as i have HBC BootMii and dvdx installed from bannerbomb

but do i carry on from step 10 of online or what ?
or have i messed up ??
sorry to hassle you dude just am not sure what to do next
i havent tried doing anything else yet just incase i do the wrong thing .

many thanks
assassda for a well put together package
& sorry to be a dumbass

InTheDeep

kwantan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright. So, I just purchased a 2nd hand wii and its a 2008 version and i can't install bootmii as boot2. Before I start I was wondering what precautions do I make to prevent bricking. Install bootmii as IOS? then install preloader? and then follow the ultimate guide?

yabel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yabel said:
My specs 3.2U w/ tp hack, Preloader .28, Bootmii with a backup of Nand, No cios that I remember but some Ios (madworld) installed. From reading 1000 posts I think I feel brave enough to take it on. I will clean a sd card I have so that it will only have this pack on it so not to interfere with any other stuff (preloader). Should I DISABLE preloader or just have it set to System menu? I will follow your guide including downgrading since I see your point of it to make sure there is no conflicts with cios installed. Any suggestions before I jump in it tomorrow and Im looking at this correct?
Thx for all the posts.

I start at step 6 since I have Wad, hbc and bootmii installed?
Bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto