ultimate Noob tutorial for Gateway 3DS 2.0b by noob

Intro
Okay here is a Noob proof tutorial by me base on what I have read on various threads.
Note: That I do not have gateway yet, but want to make sure that everybody include myself get this right.
Note: This is a collaboration work by members not my professional guide.

Warning!!!!! : This is only base on what I read, it still need to be modify by other member.
Edit: people are reported that they are successfully updated their system through these steps.
Warning!!: Update do not add any features to the system until GW team update it. Always check the Firmware version before you attempt to upgrade!
Note!!!!: This is a beta release of Gateway 2.0b, Something may goes wrong even if you fellow these steps !!! If you do not wish to risk your system just stop at step 12 and wait for Gateway to release a stable version of FW.
Note!!!!: There is really no need to update the firmware to 7.1 right now other than being able to play cartridges that require 5+ firmware.

Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk
System info.
The system is brand new 3DS XL with FW: 4.4.0-10u
Note: Any FW between 4.1-4.5 would work. You do not need to update to latest FW: 4.5 to use Gateway 2.0b

Steps
NOTE: For the old Gateway user just skip to step 7th
Edit:If you do not wish to upgrade your emuNAND just stop at step 12th
1st: boot up the system setup username, turn off wifi, skip WIFI setup, then go to setting check the FW ver.
2nd: Connect your mircoSDcard, then Copy files from Blue Card (R4i) folder to the Root of a fat 32 formatted
Micro SD Card (small SD card not the one in your 3ds)--> put the Micro Sd Card in your blue gateway card--> put it in your 3DS.
3rd: Run Gateway installer
4th: Press A to install then Press A to power down or Home to return to main menu
5th: Copy Launcher.dat from GW Release to the root of the SD card from the 3DS
6th: Boot the Gateway mode by going through Setting-> other setting -> profile-> Hold L-> Nintendo DS profile.
Note: press L is to launch GUI (gateway user interface)with out L your 3ds will boot directly boot in to Gateway mode (regular 3ds menu where you can play rom.
7th: In GUI select the "BACKUP SYSTEM NAND" option (need at least 1 GB free space of 3ds SD card)
8th: Turn off the system- > takeout your 3DS SD card backup your newly created .NAND on your PC.
9th: After copy the file put your 3DS Sd card back into your 3DS.
10th: Boot up GUI-> run the Format emuNAND. Not sure what will happen to the system it may be power off or it may just boot into gateway mode.
11th: close your 3DS and takeout your Sd card-> on your computer drive you will see that half of your memory space is gone.
12th: put your 3DS SD card back in to your 3ds---> Boot up GUI again this time run Gateway mode.
Edit: you should also move either the icons around, or create a folder, to make the emuNAND visibly different from the realNAND. by MadButch
13th: Go to setting check "GW3D" label in the system version number in the System Settings application.
14th: Enter into WiFi settings and set up a connection. Accept the TOS (term of services) Note: some people report that they accidentally update their readNAND instead of their emuNAND after setting the wifi connection.
15th: reboot your system go to setting internet setting Deleted your wifi setting. (may not need to do this step) . gix222 noted that the system does not remember your WiFi setting from emuNAND in realNAND. So just skip this step.
16th:Turn off your 3DS--> reboot 3ds in to gateway mode again.-> go to setting check again that GW3D" label in the system version number. Warning!!!!!!!: DO NOT exit system setting when you see the GW3D in ront of the firmware version, before updating the firmware by aiat_gamer
17th: Go to other setting--> system updates. (cross your fingers) your system will shut down after the update is done.
18th: boot up system go to setting check that you still in fw 4.x . then you done :D

Please help me edit this post, I'm not expert myself, but want to make sure that this clean the confusion.

Thank you for reading.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much for reply. It would be really helpful if you can provide the guide with pictures that would verify my writing. I do not have any mean to take any pictures, got a big ass tablet that hard to adjust.

Ok i was a bit harsh, my gateway still hasn't arrived so i was a bit miffed at the idiot UK reseller (who's getting it posted straight back as i've ordered another from nds-card) Shouldn't have taken it out on you.

...Anyway when it arrives i'm sure the post will be fine tuned and complete and i'll take some photos for the guide if you like unless someone beats me to it. ta

Reactions: benzs129

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i was a bit harsh, my gateway still hasn't arrived so i was a bit miffed at the idiot UK reseller (who's getting it posted straight back as i've ordered another from nds-card) Shouldn't have taken it out on you.

...Anyway when it arrives i'm sure the post will be fine tuned and complete and i'll take some photos for the guide if you like unless someone beats me to it. ta

Okay thank you man :D

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't see anything wrong with someone without a gw putting up the list.
It looks to me that he has already put much more effort into preparing for it then the average joe with a gw ;)

Reactions: benzs129

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Visual Update and Format update!: Make it easier to read. :D Tell me what you think about this change would help me a lot.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
ok mine came today and believe it or not benzs129 i used your thread to do everything! And it worked fine. I was nervous as hell so i forgot to take any photos but i have another 4.5 3dsxl coming (i hope) so will do it that run-through.

well done

Also step 15 i think is unnecessary at least it was for me. Incidentally i did lose the nintendo video app and the 3d plant kingdom video and the letterbox app when i installed the update not sure why?

Edit: i just went to the eshop and redownloaded the two apps.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
15th: reboot your system go to setting internet setting Deleted your wifi setting. (may not need to do this step) . gix222 noted that the system does not remember your WiFi setting from emuNAND in realNAND. So just skip this step.

Not true for me.
I started out by deleting my WiFi setting in Sysnand before backing up Sysnand and formatting Emunand.
However, when I delete it on SysNand, it didn't disappear from Emunand.

I tried twice to reconfirm. (and I was in Emunand, as it showed the "GW 4.5.0...." the screen before I entered WiFi settings.

So this may vary for users.

kyomagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
having issues with understanding steps 2. Do you copy it to the sd card in the 3ds or on the pc then put it in the 3ds sd card slot? can you be a little more clear on that?

Reactions: tyons

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
having issues with understanding steps 2. Do you copy it to the sd card in the 3ds or on the pc then put it in the 3ds sd card slot? can you be a little more clear on that?

No step 2 refers to putting the blue card data (R4i) from the Gateway firmware download onto a microsd card in order to install the Gateway installer.

2nd: Connect your mircoSDcard y Copy files from Blue Card (R4i) folder to the Root of a fat 32 formatted Micro SD Card

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bigusheadus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a little trouble understanding the tip by MadButch as I didn't know that emuNAND and the readNAND have identical menus.

Great guide!

MadButch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The emunand is a copy of the sysnand (including icon placement and internet settings). At least it was in my case, but I'm pretty sure it is for everyone.

Since I use my 3ds just to play games, I did this:
I set sysnand to 2nd largest icons (2 rows of 3 icons), with the middle bottom one being settings.
I set emunand to largest icons (1 row of 3 icons), with the middle one being the game cartridge.

That way I always only have to click the middle icon in the bottom row (first to hit settings for GW mode and the next time to start my game).

innercy

Trophies
XP
Country
for quick guide:-
1. copy gateway installer into micro SD and slot in into blue card + put launcher.dat into 3DS SD card
2. run gateway installer, system will reboot
3. go to setting, other setting, profile. hold L button and select DS profile. 3DS will boot into gateway GUI
4. select backup NAND, remove SD card and save NAND created into PC. put the SD card back
5. select format emuNAND
6. go to setting, other setting, profile. hold L button and select DS profile. 3DS will boot into gateway GUI
7. select gateway mode

8. go to setting, if all went well, u should see the fw has changed into GW3D 4.x.x, it mean u successfully boot using emuNAND
9. in setting, set wifi on and update the fw, just make sure do not exit setting after enabling wifi. most of the ppl screw in this step cus if u exit setting, 3DS will boot into realNAND
10. after completing update, 3DS will be restarted into real NAND and nothing changed. go to setting and u still in fw 4.x.x

11. repeat step 6+7. u will now successfully booted into emuNAND with fw GW3D 6.x.x

temp1312

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
17th: Go to other setting--> system updates. (cross your fingers) your system will shut down after the update is done.

When you enter system update, it will give you another TOS right? is that TOS safe?

benzs129

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Cateater1
When you update your 3DS do you have to connect to wifi 1st or do you connected to wifi when you were in Gateway mode?
Some people say that you have to set up wifi in 3DS mode in your realNAND and wait for notification that indicate you to update.\
according to the post "If you are one of those people that does not enable WiFi on their 3DS to avoid system updates and prompts, you are going to need to enable it long enough somewhere your 3DS has an internet connection for the update to be downloaded.
DO NOT UPDATE FROM THE PROMPT, USE IT ONLY AS AN INDICATION THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED THE UPDATE. If you have not been nagged at some point about a new system update your not ready to go, or at the minimum you will have to leave WiFi on in step 9, which may be dangerous but I'm not sure why."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fellow EST resident here, it's noon for me too