uLaunch - custom, open source Nintendo Switch HOME menu reimplementation

uLaunch

uLaunch is a custom, open-source Nintendo Switch HOME menu replacement/reimplementation!

screenshot.jpg

This isn't some kind of HOME menu extension, injection, patch, etc.: uLaunch is an entire reimplementation (of key components), 100% open-source!

Let uLaunch be the HOME menu Nintendo never bothered to make!

Last edited by XorTroll,

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
To learn some C I made a simple reboot_to_payload mod which allows easy switching between qlaunch and uLaunch. It takes into account whether you have a qlaunch theme installed.

One time fiddling with folders is needed: Place 'SdOut/titles/010100000000001000/exefs.nsp' into '/atmosphere/titles/0100000000001000ulaunch/' The three remaining folders from '/SdOut/titles' should go into '/atmosphere/titles' for this app to work.
It does not check if uLaunch is actually installed and running, so if you create xxx1000ulaunch, and run the app under uLaunch you would be switching between two uLaunches. I'll fix it later since it took me a good portion of the day to create (don't judge pls).

I don't feel like the code is worth sharing. Under GPLv2 I'm required to provide it to anyone who asks, hereby I promise to do so. I will make a repo for it later if I'll find motivation to improve it. I would like to make an option to update uLaunch to nigthly builds, but it would take me some time, probably.

Here's the link: qulauncher 0.0.1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2f0jcaoyhtup39/qulauncher.nro?dl=1

I recommend you use Github to host and share your code and your releases, isn't personal, the most people don't trust on homebrew apps without review the code first.

As adition, if you want to learn, develop a open source application are a good thing, you gona get issue reports and pull request to learn from that.

Don't worry about the code, a lot of big projects start from a tidy and poor code, one of the most gracefull things are see how the project evolve into better with time and contributions from others.

Last edited by Chocola,

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how to uninstall it? i like it but the original is better for me (no offense)
Delete /<CFW’s folder>/titles/0100000000001000

Edit: you also need to delete 010000000000100B, 0100000000001001, and 01008BB00013C000. Forgot that they also needed to be removed lol.

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: felix.200 and Nudu

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
uLaunch v0.2 is out, featuring a new quick menu, more settings, a full rewrite of the PC tool, controller and album support and more! ;)
Check it out: https://github.com/XorTroll/uLaunch/releases/tag/0.2 (the changelog is pretty big for what I expected to add in a second release)

On another topic, I reorganized all the documentation of the project (FAQ, themeing, forwarding...) in GitHub's uLaunch wiki: https://github.com/XorTroll/uLaunch/wiki

There are still bugs to fix and features to implement tho, which will be eventually worked on (https://github.com/XorTroll/uLaunch/wiki/Functionality#Unimplemented-stuff)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to hear album etc are now supported, sounds like it's ready for me to try it out, when I have the chance to get back to fucking with my Switch. Keep up the nice work!

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
@XorTroll Could you add an option to resize the menu icons?
If you mean the title icons in the main menu, then I guess I might add that soon, but would require some important UI logic changes.
Otherwise, all the other menu icons are customizable, and except a few ones whose size is adjusted on code, you can replace them with icons as big as you want :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

On another topic, the advantage of uLaunch's screen capture is that it captures literally EVERYTHING (excluding the overlay menu and power menu), proof:

unknown.png

squalow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is the delay when you go from menu to game and vice versa still present ? this is the thing that made me go back to Qlaunch ( and the missing controller option which is not missing anymore)

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
the delay is still there. has anyone use Ulaunchers nro forwarder feature? i get an image to show on the home menu but it crashes. just want to no how everyone else's experience is with it

Reactions: CatmanFan

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If this is the case then it's because ulanch takes over the eshop applet. From sxos 2.9.2 tx added a protection to redirect the eshop to the mentioned page (please disable stealth mode) thus preventing ulanch from taking it over. Since sxos starts always in stealth mode, ulanch is broken on latest sx version. And since the "open" scene is against sxos, for its good reasons, it's kinda unlikely that we will ever see a workaround for this problem, if not from tx themselves.

has anyone found a workaround for sxos since it accesses the eshop applet auto?

Reactions: starbury86

axiomjunglist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't enable flog can uLaunch be used online with little risk? As I understand it, this appears to be the only thing that would cause an anomaly in the telemetry reporting. Unless there's something else that would?

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
If you don't enable flog can uLaunch be used online with little risk? As I understand it, this appears to be the only thing that would cause an anomaly in the telemetry reporting. Unless there's something else that would?

If you don't like to take risk, you never should go online with CFW.

Flog it's a stubbed title that can't be launched anymore and they know, if you use flog to launch uLaunch and they see that you run flog on 9.0.1 it's a sure ban.

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely love this, but for some reason, any new games I install to my NAND, crash after loading. Everything on my SD card is fine though. I removed ulaunch, and my NAND games work fine. Any idea why this happens? Thank you to everyone who had a hand in making this!

EDIT: I believe I have narrowed the issue down to the game trying to look for a save file? Some games will attempt to load, while other crash after the Switch logo.

Last edited by JohnathanMonkey,

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
I absolutely love this, but for some reason, any new games I install to my NAND, crash after loading. Everything on my SD card is fine though. I removed ulaunch, and my NAND games work fine. Any idea why this happens? Thank you to everyone who had a hand in making this!

EDIT: I believe I have narrowed the issue down to the game trying to look for a save file? Some games will attempt to load, while other crash after the Switch logo.
why would it be because of a save file? surely the games installed then creates a save.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all