[uk]Need a new PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by HaniKazmi, Nov 13, 2009.

1. HaniKazmi
    OP

HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    Manchester
    My PC broke (fried motherboard), so I need a new one, below £700.Its mostly for gaming, and I'd rather get a prebuilt one. Any suggestions?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As long as you do not need a new monitor and the other usual junk or a SLI/crossfire system £700 is more than enough to net you a decent games machine.

If you are around here then I assume software is not a problem so it might be worth looking at a barebones system- careful if you do though as barebones has become somewhat of a catch all term in the last few years and some still use the original (proper?) meaning of case, motherboard, PSU, CPU and ram- you sort disc drives, hard drives and everything else while others mean you get a box that will plug in and go- you sort operating system, monitor(s), mouse and keyboard.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ have a fairly decent example of the latter sort of thing.

I will ask though are you planning to salvage anything; we have all seen motherboards take out everything but there is still a chance some stuff works?

3. HaniKazmi
    OP

HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    Manchester
    While I can salvage most of my old stuff, it was all very low end and years old, so I'd rather start new, only carrying over my harddrive. I only need a base unit, as I still have a monitor, keyboard etc. I'm considering the packard-bell ixetreme i8819nfor £670, is that good value?