Gaming Ubuntu / XBMC and windows help

leondmsmith

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I recentley installed ubuntu onto my Win 7 machine as a dual boot, is their a way to make it access any of my files that are under win 7?

I ask as i want to also run XBMC from same comp but im not sure best way to be able to access my media that is stored on my windows partition.

I have a spare external HD would i need to have it set to a specific file system to enable both OS to access it? What about permissions etc.

Im a noob to the linux so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Leon

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
In Linux, file systems are mounted on a specific location. So information on a hard drive or DVD is linked to a specific location, like /home or /usr. If you want to, you can just mount your Windows partition to any location, like /windows. The Ubuntu wiki has quite some information about this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions

You could also configure Ubuntu to use the partition when installing Ubuntu. You can do this by choosing to manually configure partitions. You could also check if the current installation of Ubuntu has the partition under the Locations submenu (in the top taskbar).

Good luck.

About the external HD: you could either format it as NTFS and mount it under Ubuntu or format it as Ext2/3/4 and mount it in Windows. I recommend the last. You can format the drive with a tool like gparted (install via Synaptic in Ubuntu) and mount it in Windows with Ext2IFS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night