Hacking Ubricking options: NAND backup from different wii?

poppa0808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi folks --

My friend's wii appears semi-bricked. We first used the Twilight Hack to install HBC 1.0 about a year ago. Over Christmas we updated to 1.0.6 with the online update function in HBC and then downloaded some new homebrew. Specifically, the uLoader. I patched the cIOS 14 (iirc) to get it up and running. Chrystal bearers played like a charm. Then we ran New Super Mario Bros. It played fine until we restarted the wii. Now we have the "System Files are Corrupted" errors whenever we try and do anything. Wii System Menu will start up, and I can go to the Disc Channel, but launching a game or going to Wii settings and the system locks up and/or gives the error message. Did I screw up an IOS? If so I wouldnt begin to know how to figure out which one.

BootMii is installed as an IOS and Boot2, but we don't have a good back up (Doh).

Unbrick options seem to be as follows:
1) UUD - I looked into this and I felt over my head -- I downloaded the UUDv4 package from Demonoid and I was overwhelmed -- Do i start with teh Startpatch 2.3 wads? LCUD? Or boot the UUD iso right away ... I read a guide online but was still left a little confused.
2) Infectus/Savemii -- I don't have either of these.
3) Pay VGCrepairs.com $25 to unbrick the wii.

So here's my question. We both have launch day Wii's that are at 3.2 with HBC 1.0.6. I haven't installed anything new on mine in a long time. Can I create a back up on my wii with Bootmii and restore his wii to my NAND back up? What would be the implications? He'd lose the VC games he's purchased, but what else? Or is this a massively stupid idea?

Thanks for your help. This is my first post, but I've used the stickies countless times. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I might have royally screwed up my friend's wii so I'd like to make it right.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
poppa0808 said:
Hi folks --

My friend's wii appears semi-bricked. We first used the Twilight Hack to install HBC 1.0 about a year ago. Over Christmas we updated to 1.0.6 with the online update function in HBC and then downloaded some new homebrew. Specifically, the uLoader. I patched the cIOS 14 (iirc) to get it up and running. Chrystal bearers played like a charm. Then we ran New Super Mario Bros. It played fine until we restarted the wii. Now we have the "System Files are Corrupted" errors whenever we try and do anything. Wii System Menu will start up, and I can go to the Disc Channel, but launching a game or going to Wii settings and the system locks up and/or gives the error message. Did I screw up an IOS? If so I wouldnt begin to know how to figure out which one.

BootMii is installed as an IOS and Boot2, but we don't have a good back up (Doh).

Unbrick options seem to be as follows:
1) UUD - I looked into this and I felt over my head -- I downloaded the UUDv4 package from Demonoid and I was overwhelmed -- Do i start with teh Startpatch 2.3 wads? LCUD? Or boot the UUD iso right away ... I read a guide online but was still left a little confused.
2) Infectus/Savemii -- I don't have either of these.
3) Pay VGCrepairs.com $25 to unbrick the wii.

So here's my question. We both have launch day Wii's that are at 3.2 with HBC 1.0.6. I haven't installed anything new on mine in a long time. Can I create a back up on my wii with Bootmii and restore his wii to my NAND back up? What would be the implications? He'd lose the VC games he's purchased, but what else? Or is this a massively stupid idea?

Thanks for your help. This is my first post, but I've used the stickies countless times. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I might have royally screwed up my friend's wii so I'd like to make it right.

You can start HBC from bootmii and fix it. What SM is his\your wii at? 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2?

poppa0808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We both have 3.2U. Launch day wii's purchased from Gamestop (different towns but im pretty confident that they are the same machine) Bootmii starts up just fine and I can get to the HBC, but I'm not sure what to do to unbrick. I'm not sure how to know what IOS/cIOSs are problematic. Any suggestions? Is there a tool in HBC to use? Download Waninkoko's 4.2 updater?

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
poppa0808 said:
He's got 3.2U. Bootmii starts up just fine and I can get to the HBC, but I'm not sure what to do to unbrick. I'm not sure how to know what IOS/cIOSs are problematic. Any suggestions? Is there a tool in HBC to use? Download Waninkoko's 4.2 updater?

Start DOPIOS-MODv10.1 from HBC and select SM and then install SM3.2U. MAKE SURE you install SM 3.2U and not 3.2E\3.2J\3.2K Do not do anything stupid as having bootmii as boot2 will save his wii. You can upgrade after but first get his SM back. BTW use xzxero's_Guide posted here if you want to update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi