Ubisoft abandons always-on DRM for PC games

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drm843.1346853150.jpg
Seeing as their DRM was annoying, intrusive and very limiting to paying customers then maybe they'll actually start getting pc sales again.
Seeing as I always thought that pc gamers constant bitching about the DRM was useless and wasn't going to change anything, I'm actually glad to be proven wrong.

computerandvideogames.com source

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Good thing they've come to their senses. That type of DRM really limited people with little to no internet connection.

Reactions: 1 person

Rasas

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still worried about Uplay other then that they seem to be climbing up out of hole they dug.
Good thing they've come to their senses. That type of DRM really limited people with little to no internet connection.
Well they still have the one time activation screwing those without a connection but most of them are console gamers.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
No more always-on DRM for games
BUT
this may happen
to play the games, users MUST install uplay and have it running in the background (and will uplay will need to connect to the Internet at all times to work).

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've been playing through AC Revelations the last couple of days, and God, so annoying sometimes, the DRM is just overkill. Lags the whole game too, really a nuisance.

D

Deleted_171835

I've been playing through AC Revelations the last couple of days, and God, so annoying sometimes, the DRM is just overkill. Lags the whole game too, really a nuisance.
I haven't noticed any lag with the DRM in the Assassin's Creed games. Although it is annoying to have to keep uPlay running and ensure an internet connection to even play the game.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I haven't noticed any lag with the DRM in the Assassin's Creed games. Although it is annoying to have to keep uPlay running and ensure an internet connection to even play the game.
Well the lag occurs mainly when Uplay comes into play, like when you unlock an Uplay achievement or so. Then the game just hangs for 10 secs. Otherwise, it's as fluent and excellent than Brotherhood iMHO.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That game was shit and laggy anyways.

I played on the Xbox master race and it ran fine for me.

But seems they're ERROR 404 PUN NOT FOUND with DRM.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ubisoft? Giving up their prized DRM?

4287_2144_hell-freezes-over.jpeg

Too little too late, I'm afraid, every Ubisoft game I bought I, uh, installed "patches" that make the games work regardless of whether or not I have a stable internet connection.

Reactions: 1 person

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank god. I wondered when they would get their heads out of their asses. It accomplished nothing except annoying and punishing their paying customers. The first thing I do when I buy a PC game that has intrusive DRM is download a crack for it, and I'm the sort that finds having to have the DVD in the drive annoying so I pretty much download a crack for anything not on Steam. Guess how many times I logged in to their stupid server while completing Assassin's Creed 2? And if you'd like you can try to guess if that was one of the games I bought and had to download a separate crack for or if it came in the ISO I downloaded.

I really don't understand why anyone bothers or never learns that they are wasting their time and resources on any form of copy protection. Software has been pirated since there were computers around to run them. If anyone gives a crap about your title it will get cracked and it will end up on Usenet, torrent sites, etc. The only hope you have of your software not getting pirated is to release something no one wants to play... Actually, UbiSoft does a lot of that, is that some form of stealth DRM. Are they so desperate to not have their software stolen that they release Imagine games? :-D

Although I'm convinced they will try again, maybe they'll try old school shit again. I can't wait to find code wheels (many years later we don't have scanners or printers bad ass enough to make your own one of that bad boy in the link) and various other goofy crap in my my game boxes again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: What to have for lunch [12:57 pm] [tap, tap, tap.. 💡] brb