TX Announces revolutionary update to SX OS v2.0 with 'EmuNAND' and more

Team-Xecuter has been quiet since v6.0.0 officially rolled out for the Nintendo Switch last week, but they are back with this time an amazing revolutionary update to their SX OS
SXOS20.jpg

And you may ask why is it 'revolutionary', well because for first time a CFW for the Switch contains 'EmuNAND', just like back in the days of the 3DS scene, so check out their official PR announcement below:
Hello friends! Team Xecuter is happy to bring you the official 2.0 release of your beloved SX OS.

A lot has happened since the initial release of SX OS a few months ago. This is far from a simple proof of concept custom firmware anymore. With this major update we bring some exciting new functionality to the table. We suggest you grab a beverage of your choice and read on to learn more!
  • EmuNAND
Lets start with the major new feature in 2.0: EmuNAND.

Those who have a background in the Nintendo 3DS hacking scene know what this is, but let's quickly elaborate for those of you who are new to the game:

The Switch uses a NAND Flash storage chip to store all of the system software, as well as your save games and other assets. With EmuNAND we create a shadow copy of this storage from which you can run SX OS. The benefits from doing this are that you keep your SX OS "world" separated from your original firmware. This also means you can keep your switch on an older firmware, while running the latest and greatest firmware inside of your EmuNAND. As we all know, older is better.. when it comes to defeating system security at least. And newer is better when it comes to enjoying the latest content! :)

Another upside of consolidating your SX OS usage from your original firmware usage is vastly reducing the risk of a network ban. You can run SX OS in EmuNAND, of course with our Stealth Mode enabled, and anything that is littered on the EmuNAND's filesystem is not visible to the switch in Original Firmware mode.

One thing to note is that SX OS EmuNAND works a bit differently compared to what some of you might think of as "traditional" EmuNAND where the entire NAND is copied to a separate partition on the MicroSD card. With SX OS EmuNAND your EmuNAND partition lives inside of your regular NAND. The primary reason for this is that occupying 32GB of a MicroSD card is a bit wasteful. The secondary reason is by utilizing the existing flash storage we can guarantee performance and reliability.

You can set up EmuNAND by booting into the SX OS boot menu (hold Volume + during boot) and going into the revamped "Options" menu. There you will find a section called EmuNAND which will guide you through the setup. By default SX OS will allocate 15GB for your EmuNAND partition. If you want to use a different size hit the "advanced" button before creating your EmuNAND.

SX OS will boot into EmuNAND by default if it finds a valid EmuNAND partition. If you don't want to boot into EmuNAND, there's a button in the SX OS Boot menu which will allow you to continue booting with EmuNAND disabled.
  • NAND Dumping, Restoring, GPT Repair
As mentioned in the previous section we have revamped our SX OS boot menu's option screen quite a bit. For the tinkerers and advanced users we introduced an easy method of dumping/restoring your NAND flash storage. Another neat addition for people who had an unhappy accident while playing with their NAND is the "GPT Repair" option. This will repair your NAND's partition table if you ever need to. Again, this functionality is for advanced users who know what they're doing only. Please be cautious when using this functionality.
  • LayeredFS working on 6.0
With our (early) support for 6.0 we introduced a regression where "LayeredFS" would no longer work. This has been corrected and you can now enjoy your game modifications/hacks again on the latest official firmware.
  • Homebrew NSP Compatibility
We got word that the community has started distributing homebrew titles as NSP files recently. These NSP files cut some corners in the way they are crafted, but we decided to introduce support to make them usable with SX OS anyway. So you can now enjoy your favorite homebrew titles that comes as installable NSP files and launch them directly from the home screen!
  • Closing Words
Whew, we're sorry for the wall of text. We tried to keep things as concise and easy to understand as possible. SX OS 2.0 is a big and important update, but certainly won't be the last. We know you're all waiting for even more functionality that is in high demand. Rest assured, we work as fast as we can to scrap these items off of the bucket list and bring them to you, the loyal end user, as fast as we can!

Enough chit-chat, you can update to SX OS 2.0 right *now* by using the built-in updater if you are running SX OS 1.9 or higher. Otherwise head to our website and grab a copy! Enjoy!

--< Team-Xecuter - Rocking the Switch in 2018 and beyond! >--​

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Si
Nope, it won't do much for you in that situation. Going by early reports - even updating your Switch with the Emunand installed has caused semi-bricks for some, so that could be out of the question as well.

It won't make it easier to make cheats for games however.
So would it benefit to people that are ban as me or never going to play online ? I mean can we play more games or modified games , what does this improve , to gamers not interested in online ?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
People need to understand, it still uses YOUR cert, the SAME one from ofw, not that reswitched emunand wouldn't do the same thing, just saying.

Yeah but the problem is, this fake emunand reduces the size of your SYSNAND. SYSNAND size is one of the things that is sent via telemetry to Nintendo(As in crash reports, etc etc). And if they spot a SYSNAND that is smaller than it should be, well...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Si

So would it benefit to people that are ban as me or never going to play online ? I mean can we play more games or modified games , what does this improve , to gamers not interested in online ?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. If you're not interested in online features you might as well sue ReiNX or RajNX, you know, the free stuff

Reactions: Ericthegreat

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Si

Emunand is meant to make it safer to go online with a modded system (your emunand is where your CFW lives and is kept offline, leaving the system nand clean so you can go online with that) but if you're already banned - well, there's no need to keep your Sys nand clean as you're already banned or going to stay offline. It doesn't give any other benefits apart from that.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,
Reactions: matias3ds

cattivik66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stop telling that It reduces the side, nobody has seen the sx os code. Try it and take a look at sises reported in the system menu.

Then we can talk more on that. Currently we miss confirms for this point.

Last edited by cattivik66,
Reactions: oji and Chocola

cattivik66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You don't have to look at the OS's code, it's been proven here already that it DOES reduce the size of your SYSNAND
By who? I still didn't seen any screenshot in Horizon with 16gb showed. Or did I missed that post?

The size are reduced for sure but perhaps they patch the size reported to Horizon

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
By who? I still didn't seen any screenshot in Horizon with 16gb showed. Or did I missed that post?

The size are reduced for sure but perhaps they patch the size reported to Horizon

The thing it's simple, you can't write 48GB or 64GB on a 32GB nand chip, if you fake the size and try to write to it when the 32GB exceded the data get corrupted like a fake SD card.

So... yes, if they don't use SD card for it, they make a repartition and reduce the size of your OFW nand for it.

Last edited by Chocola,

matias3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Emunand is meant to make it safer to go online with a modded system (your emunand is where your CFW lives and is kept offline, leaving the system nand clean so you can go online with that) but if you're already banned - well, there's no need to keep your Sys nand clean as you're already banned or going to stay offline. It doesn't give any other benefits apart from that.
So in my case is better to play normally as I did , without making or entering in emunand , and besides I'm going to saving all the memory that would be occupied for the emunand copy , right ?

cattivik66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The thing it's simple, you can't write 48GB or 64GB on a 32GB nand chip, so... yes, if they don't use SD card for it they make a repartition and reduce the size of your OFW nand for it.
I can make a 1Gb USB Stick showed as 1 TB.
Of corse if I write more than 1 GB It would write in the wrong sectors, bit anyway Windows would sede and manage It ad 1 TB USB stick.

Also they could patch the size reported to Horizon. Or couse writing more than the size or the disk would gove troubles, but we would just avoid that.

If SX OS does not make that then this emuNand gas really few applications

Reactions: peteruk

rrocha

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I can confirm that emuNAND is in fact working. Failed on my first attempt to update with ChoiDujourNX but worked on the second try. I can confirm that going from 4.1.0 to 6.0.0 does not burn fuses and the card slot (if updated in 6.0.0) is still functional when booting the original 4.1.0

AutoRCM does seem broken but I don't use it so I'm a happy camper

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: wth