TX Announces revolutionary update to SX OS v2.0 with 'EmuNAND' and more

Team-Xecuter has been quiet since v6.0.0 officially rolled out for the Nintendo Switch last week, but they are back with this time an amazing revolutionary update to their SX OS
SXOS20.jpg

And you may ask why is it 'revolutionary', well because for first time a CFW for the Switch contains 'EmuNAND', just like back in the days of the 3DS scene, so check out their official PR announcement below:
Hello friends! Team Xecuter is happy to bring you the official 2.0 release of your beloved SX OS.

A lot has happened since the initial release of SX OS a few months ago. This is far from a simple proof of concept custom firmware anymore. With this major update we bring some exciting new functionality to the table. We suggest you grab a beverage of your choice and read on to learn more!
  • EmuNAND
Lets start with the major new feature in 2.0: EmuNAND.

Those who have a background in the Nintendo 3DS hacking scene know what this is, but let's quickly elaborate for those of you who are new to the game:

The Switch uses a NAND Flash storage chip to store all of the system software, as well as your save games and other assets. With EmuNAND we create a shadow copy of this storage from which you can run SX OS. The benefits from doing this are that you keep your SX OS "world" separated from your original firmware. This also means you can keep your switch on an older firmware, while running the latest and greatest firmware inside of your EmuNAND. As we all know, older is better.. when it comes to defeating system security at least. And newer is better when it comes to enjoying the latest content! :)

Another upside of consolidating your SX OS usage from your original firmware usage is vastly reducing the risk of a network ban. You can run SX OS in EmuNAND, of course with our Stealth Mode enabled, and anything that is littered on the EmuNAND's filesystem is not visible to the switch in Original Firmware mode.

One thing to note is that SX OS EmuNAND works a bit differently compared to what some of you might think of as "traditional" EmuNAND where the entire NAND is copied to a separate partition on the MicroSD card. With SX OS EmuNAND your EmuNAND partition lives inside of your regular NAND. The primary reason for this is that occupying 32GB of a MicroSD card is a bit wasteful. The secondary reason is by utilizing the existing flash storage we can guarantee performance and reliability.

You can set up EmuNAND by booting into the SX OS boot menu (hold Volume + during boot) and going into the revamped "Options" menu. There you will find a section called EmuNAND which will guide you through the setup. By default SX OS will allocate 15GB for your EmuNAND partition. If you want to use a different size hit the "advanced" button before creating your EmuNAND.

SX OS will boot into EmuNAND by default if it finds a valid EmuNAND partition. If you don't want to boot into EmuNAND, there's a button in the SX OS Boot menu which will allow you to continue booting with EmuNAND disabled.
  • NAND Dumping, Restoring, GPT Repair
As mentioned in the previous section we have revamped our SX OS boot menu's option screen quite a bit. For the tinkerers and advanced users we introduced an easy method of dumping/restoring your NAND flash storage. Another neat addition for people who had an unhappy accident while playing with their NAND is the "GPT Repair" option. This will repair your NAND's partition table if you ever need to. Again, this functionality is for advanced users who know what they're doing only. Please be cautious when using this functionality.
  • LayeredFS working on 6.0
With our (early) support for 6.0 we introduced a regression where "LayeredFS" would no longer work. This has been corrected and you can now enjoy your game modifications/hacks again on the latest official firmware.
  • Homebrew NSP Compatibility
We got word that the community has started distributing homebrew titles as NSP files recently. These NSP files cut some corners in the way they are crafted, but we decided to introduce support to make them usable with SX OS anyway. So you can now enjoy your favorite homebrew titles that comes as installable NSP files and launch them directly from the home screen!
  • Closing Words
Whew, we're sorry for the wall of text. We tried to keep things as concise and easy to understand as possible. SX OS 2.0 is a big and important update, but certainly won't be the last. We know you're all waiting for even more functionality that is in high demand. Rest assured, we work as fast as we can to scrap these items off of the bucket list and bring them to you, the loyal end user, as fast as we can!

Enough chit-chat, you can update to SX OS 2.0 right *now* by using the built-in updater if you are running SX OS 1.9 or higher. Otherwise head to our website and grab a copy! Enjoy!

--< Team-Xecuter - Rocking the Switch in 2018 and beyond! >--​

:arrow: Source: MaxConsole

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I can make a 1Gb USB Stick showed as 1 TB.
Of corse if I write more than 1 GB It would write in the wrong sectors, bit anyway Windows would sede and manage It ad 1 TB USB stick

Then reduce your OFW nand aswell, fake size don't give you the space, just spoof the size of the nand but still only 16GB usable, a lot of software including the proper Horizon OS can brick your Switch very easy with this system if they try to write to the end of the nand for example.

Last edited by Chocola,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Excuse my ignorance but wouldn’t an EmuNAND inside the RealNAND defeat key purposes of an EmuNAND? Free NAND sizes, less I/O on the RealNAND and more flexibility?
exactly!

And for all users still thinking emuNAND is always the future, remember how emuNAND went on WiiU?
everyone thought EmuNAND was the safety heaven, while it only created issues, eventually everyone stopped using it and went back to install their games on realNAND.

Before wanting to use dual boot, ask yourself what do you need it for.
do you really need it? don't go with the trend only because it's an available feature.

cattivik66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I edit my message, this system it's very dangerous, if the OS or some software try to write to end sectors your Switch get briked.

If you make, for example, a virtual machine on a computer that has 1 tb drive with a virtual drive of 10 tb, it works without any troubles as long as you don't try to write more than the space of the real drive. Of course who uses that VM should know that and take care of that.

Here it could be just the same thing: before telling for 100% sure that it's useless without even take a look on that, let's try that and check it!
I'm the first one that says that probably it reports 16 Gb (and be sad of that becouse, for myself, would be useless), but let's try and be sure of a thing that, for far I have seen untill now, this still needs to be confirmed. I would like to see this confirm soon, just that :D

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exactly!

And for all users still thinking emuNAND is always the future, remember how emuNAND went on WiiU?
everyone thought EmuNAND was the safety heaven, while it only created issues, eventually everyone stopped using it and went back to install their games on realNAND.

do you really need it? don't go with the trend only because it's an available feature.

That's not even the biggest flaw in this implementation. The clean sysNAND will always see 16GB. They patched out creport (supposedly) in their cloned sysNAND but... clean NAND is still completely fucked, defeating the entire purpose of an emuNAND and, in effect, just cutting off 16GB of your NAND for no reason other than to then get yourself banned.

With how much SX OS oversells or mis-sells their product functionality, I think we're approaching maliciousness.

Reactions: Friendsxix and Cyan

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
exactly!

Contrary to emunand on the 3ds and wii u on Switch it makes more sense since Horizon haves a strong telemetry system and anything that you do can lead to a ban, The almost realistic perfect setup in a none banned console is to have an Emunand partition ALWAYS offline without internet connections set up for Cfw/Homebrew/Piracy and a 100% Clean Sysnand for legit purchased games and online play.

Reactions: Friendsxix and Cyan

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like I said, users should wonder if they need it.
in that case, I'm thinking "if it's useful" : you need your realNAND unhacked with never launched CFW to keep it online and safe. then you can start using offline emuNAND (on SD, not on an edited flash chipset)
if you CFWed your sysNAND, then emuNAND is already useless

for now, SXOS emuNAND (dualboot) feature is new and fun to try. everyone wants it.
with time, we will know if it has a real purpose.

edit: TX probably wanted to win the race and be the first to announce a "boot on nand copy" feature. they did it, and it works the way they chose.
let them do it the way they want, if you don't like it, don't use it. If is it useful is up to you.

Last edited by Cyan,

Tilde88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Resizing your NAND partitions is a very delicate process, if it stops halfway through, shit just kinda... corrupts?
actually, if they used DD (im certain they did, since its a low-level linux tool), the only risk is to the 2nd partition.
here is the process as i see it in my head, instead of just non-techie people talking crap

step 1, shrink partition while not changing filesystem or formatting via "dd blahblah bs=123 count=32123" (obviously not the full command), just change the end of partition, im assuming they just assume you dont care about anything passed the 15GB marker on your original NAND idk what happens to any data that exists (existed?) after the 15gb original partition). this is nearly instant, no risk of damage her

step 2, dd if=/originalPARTITION/originalNAND of=/newPATITION/newNAND (here, the if (input file), and of (output file) are using examples, not real values. the first shows a 2nd partition, with a a cloned block device). this takes a while, but the original NAND is not being written, only read, at a sector level, so there is no risk of corruption to it even during a power event. the 2nd partition can be corrupted though, but who cares.

this is way oversimplified, but at least it gives people an idea of what they might actually be doing. i dont actually know, but this seems the most logical solution they chose. they can very easily pipe this to go to the SD card instead of the same NAND, but then you have to modify the original NAND to listen to the SD card. doing this can cause damage.

so please, enough with the shit talk, unless you know what you are talking about.

this is only about damage to the NAND, not about bans and detection btw.

edit : none of this is pointed directly at the person i quoted, i just used his question as a point of reference.

Last edited by Tilde88,

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Like I said, users should wonder if they need it.
in that case, I'm thinking "if it's useful" : you need your realNAND unhacked with never launched CFW to keep it online and safe. then you can start using offline emuNAND (on SD, not on an edited flash chipset)
if you already CFWed your sysNAND, then emuNAND is already useless
Exactly! Hope they bring the option to install it to the sd card in a future update. The way it is now is not safe for online. Horizon's telemetry can easily detect it.

kingaz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't even Emunand! They haven't redirected it to the sd card, meaning Nintendo can still see that the Nand has been partitioned, meaning they can ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, wut wut