DarthYoshi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just two questions about the G6DS Real...

1. The G6DS is not illegal right? It's just the ROMs that are. Can you confirm this?

2. I was looking at the G6DS Real Review and reading about cheat files. Can I make them by just using notepad? Like write out

Code:
;Game Name
;Game ID: ????-########

[Unlock whatever]
######## ########
and then change the file ending to *.dht? Would that work?

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. the device is in a kinda legal grey area, at least in the USA. there are two conflicting laws; one stating that you're legally allowed to make a backup of your stuff (music, movies, etc), and another one that says you can't circumvent copy protection (the DMCA) which you obviously have to do to make a backup copy. so far, no legal precedents exist that explicitly state whether flash carts are legal. it gets a bit deeper than that, but that's the gist of it. honestly, if it ever goes before the courts, it will be found illegal under the DMCA on the grounds that it's primarily used for piracy, much as modchips have been.

2. search around the forums. i think h8uthemost has his cheatlist posted somewhere.

ejamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please note that laws in Canada and the US are slightly different regarding this matter -- at least, that is how I understand it.

Also, if you are asking about the legality of such cards/devices, it would be wise to investigate any possible impact of importing flash cards (such as the G6) from other countries. I am not a lawyer, but seem to remember a story about gamers getting in trouble for importing flash cards and mod chips from Canada.

DarthYoshi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks for your help guys. I was wondering about the legality issue because as you know, brand name stores (Target, Best Buy, etc.) don't sell them. I just wanted to make sure if I got it, the police wouldn't be calling me the next day =P

And thanks, h8uthemost, for the cheat files. Can I just put the whole thing on my G6DS Real? Or do I need to make a new file for each game I want?

I saw dealextreme.com has the G6DS Real 8Gb for $57 US and free shipping. Anyone buy from them before?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since