1. ScottNBNP

OP ScottNBNP GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Ok I am not if this is the right forum or one of the others .Mods please move if wrong .

Ok so my issue is, I use Auto RCM, when I shut down the switch, say to add things to my SD card. I press the power button and plug in the USB. Windows detects it but RCM isn't activated . So I hold the power button till windows detects it's been powered down (off and disconnects) .I press the power button again and boom RCM is activated .

I'm not sure if this happens with auto RCM off and using the jig. But I thought it was quite weird and wanted to know if this is common or an issue I should be aware of and so forth.

Thanks in advance guys .

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Turn it on into RCM first, then connect it to the computer with usb. Sounds like you're powering it on with the usb and its doing it, but not taking the payload, which tells me wrong order of actions.

3. ScottNBNP

Australia
    That's what I am doing .As I said. I power it back on THEN plug in my USB (or atmosphere dongle but let's focus on the PC as I can at least have auditable feedback)

So from completely off, I press the power on the switch, then plug the USB into the bottom of the switch with tegrasmash up, windows makes the sound that USB is connected but tegrasmash doesn't detect RCM. Screen is still black and you can hear it has power if ya stick ya ear up on it lol .

So I power it down and when I do it a second time boom RCM is detected .

Hope that made a little more sense .

4. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Holding down the power after you've booted autoRCM does not fully shut it down. It auto turns back on. Use the shutdown option in your CFW menu if you have autorcm enabled

5. ScottNBNP

Australia
    I don't just press the power button but hold it down for the 10\15 seconds till it disconnects and powers off as you would do if the console froze.
    Then when I power it the second time I am able to detect RCM and push the payload .

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Sounds like an issue with Windows. I assume you're using TegraRCMGUI to detect if its in RCM or not? I find this fairly unreliable. I check to see if an APX device is listed under Devices & Printers instead.

7. ScottNBNP

Australia
    I thought that too, but my atmosphere payload injecror also doesn't push the payload till second attempt either .

I might try disabling auto RCM and use the jig and see if I still in counter this issue .Seeing it's obviously not common .

8. Naked_Snake

Naked_Snake Constant Miscreant

Australia
    It’s not that much of a pain to insert the rim jig lol, disable auto RCM

9. ScottNBNP

Australia
    Thanks for the advice -_- lol

Naked_Snake likes this.
  10. macia10

macia10 GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    I dont use autorcm and have the same issue. When I turn the console off using power menu and that try to enter rcm holdi g vol+ and power it goes to weird state that screen is off and windows detects it as nintendo switch and not rcm. Than I neet to hold power for 15s and try rcm again and it works fine then.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

11. ScottNBNP

Australia
    Sweet, so not just me, awesome, means it is an issue.

12. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Addict

United States
    To get my computer to recognize the device is in rcm if it hasn't just by plugging it in I press the Switch Power button once then it pops up

Last edited by Mythical, Oct 24, 2018
  13. ScottNBNP

Australia
    As both macia10 and i said, windows detects something has been plugged in, meaning the switch is on, but its not really in RCM, but its not booting either. Its a weird state. But turning it off and back on does then boot RCM fine. Its not really a HUGE hassle, just something i was wondering if it was normal.

14. macia10

macia10 GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    I believe there were other threads about simmilar issue. Cant find them now but Im sure there were at least two more.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

15. eliboa

eliboa GBAtemp Regular

France
    Why unreliable, if you don't mind me asking ?
    To detect RCM mode, the software simply look for an usb device matching a vendor ID (0x0955) and a product ID (0x7321). Then it checks the libusbk driver. Never heard this feature is unreliable before...

ScottNBNP likes this.
  16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Not sure why, but sometimes TegraRCMGUI stops detecting the Switch is in RCM. I'm not recounting from my own personal experience but from the never-ending number of people that end up telling me TegraRCMGUI doesn't list the Switch is in RCM. Now I'm not sure why that is and have never had any issues with using the Devices & Printers option (except for one time where I was constantly sending payloads and turning the console on & off), but its just a problem that I've seen many times.

17. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

United States
    I get that issue sometimes. From what I can tell the switch isn't fully powering off, requiring you to hold the power button to "shut it off again". Are you on 6.0.x? AFAIK that's a known issue, judging from all the posts i saw about it

18. ScottNBNP

Australia
    Yeah I'm on 6.0.1.
    Ok makes kinda sense. As I said it's not a huge issue, just one I was interested in seeing if it was wild spread or a fix.

19. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    i have that issue with 1 of my switches. i power off from the power menu. it doesn't fully turn off at that point. you can tell because if you take the joy con off they will still sync.

holding the power from there for 15 seconds so it is fully powered off, then booting to RCM works fine. i also experience getting the bootloader displayed (its a gray colored splash screen) then the switch powers off by itself, boot 2nd time and it works. not sure why that happens either.

20. ScottNBNP

Australia
    Hey
    Hey I've had a similar issue as that, pushed the payload and got small text to quick to read then it shuts down and second time it's fine. Weird.

I'll check my joycons when I get home and see if that's happen (staying synced)
    Does the homebrew app you can get that powers off the console work?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - attempts,