Twitch Prime announced

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    ss+(2016-10-01+at+05.01.22).jpg

Fans of watching Twitch.tv streams, and those who like to make purchases online will be happy to hear that Amazon is offering "Twitch Prime" to its Prime subscribers, according to a recent company meeting. Those who use Twitch Prime will get a free channel subscription every month, which allows users to support their favorite channel, as well as getting free exclusive emotes, removal of all ads, 20% discounts on all physical game pre orders (This has been a feature for American Amazon users for some time, but it now extends to those outside the USA), and "free game loot". If you're a current Prime subscriber and want to take advantage of the benefits, you can go to the link below and merge the two accounts.

:arrow: Official Site

2. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Amazon Prime is a success because it covers a huge variety of customers, Twitch Prime won't. Target audience of Twitch are people who watch others playing games and the likes so that comes down to kids and subscribers of those folks that love seeing them doing what they do.

"Let's Plays" are not my thing so I'd never pay for it nor be really interested.

Bubsy Bobcat and VinLark like this.
  3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I can't see it really "failing", though. All it is, is just more icing on the Prime cake that Amazon offers. Just a few little tidbit freebies that'll maybe push some people looking to get a Prime sub. The free monthly channel subs are nice, too, they make me feel less bad for my constant adblock on video streaming sites.

4. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    Amazon Prime is great for basically two audiences:
    A) Customers who constantly buy directly from Amazon to save on shipping.
    B) Any who prefer Amazon Video over Netflix.

And now:
    C) For kids and subscribers on Twitch.

I really hope Amazon doesn't plan on increasing the free delivery price for non-Prime members anytime soon.

5. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    20% discounts on all physical game pre orders finally comes to europe.
    I might finally consider subscribing.

D) People who pre-order physical games on Amazon.

Last edited by XrosBlader821, Oct 1, 2016
    Tomato Hentai and Pluupy like this.
  6. Haider Raza

Haider Raza Alhumdulillah

GBAtemp Patron
    Haider Raza is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 30, 2016
    Pakistan
    What's twitch never used before. I have heard about it.

7. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I'm already a Prime member, but I don't really do Twitch, so this doesn't really affect me. This bit of news, all it did was remind me that Amazon owns Twitch, I completely forgot about that. For me the best Prime benefit is the movie selection. It's better than Netflix because I can find more obscure movies here than on that platforms actually small pool of selections.

Tomato Hentai and JinTrigger like this.
  8. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    this is even worse in regions like germany.

9. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Regular

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    As a Prime subscriber and a gamer, this can only be a good thing. Admittedly I use Twitch rather infrequently, but I'm not one to turn down free benefits.

For those who haven't noticed, there are also some in-game freebies included with Twitch Prime. A hero and card back in Hearthstone, a skin in Smite, skin in Paladins, and a new game called Streamline. (Which is intended to appeal to streamers and people who are into watching streams.) All these promos are valid 2-4 weeks, and presumably there will be other freebies in the future.

Last edited by TehCupcakes, Oct 1, 2016
  10. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    Eh, I don't watch video game streams that mnuch and when I do it's a small channel or it's the recorded stream. I don't use twitch unless i'm streaming. Seems like a think that a concentrated number of people will get into.

11. RLXD

RLXD Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    It is not what you are hoping for. The pre-order campaign is out here in germany since yesterday. We get a 'huge' discount of 2€ per pre-order...

12. PF2M

PF2M Miiverse Hacker

Sep 8, 2015
    United States
    Ohio
    Normally I'd say something like this is not the best idea, but my mom has an Amazon Prime account, so I could totally get all this stuff. I can't complain about something that's free to me. I don't use Twitch much, though that could probably change after this, so who knows?

13. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    I was already a prime member and I watch Twitch a lot daily. I was pretty stoked about this because I get no more ads, ya its easy to block them on pc but not other devices. Also the free sub per month is really neat too because I can finally throw out some support to my fav streamers that have entertained me for countless hours. I don't care about the loot lol

14. XrosBlader821

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    49.99€ a year = 4,15€ per month
    even if you only use the twitch subscribe and preorder feature every month you're still getting more value back than what you put into it.

Chary likes this.
  15. Pluupy

Pluupy Woof!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Companies such as Cloud Imperium Games (Star Citizen) and Square-Enix use Twich as their live platform for shows like PAX, E3, etc. Twitch is the best platform for live shows overall.

Speaking of, I wonder if this Twitch Prime can be utilized to view the Final Fantasy XIV FanFest stream which would normally charge viewers $20 but free for Twitch subbers.

Last edited by Pluupy, Oct 1, 2016
    Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    I don't understand what "Game loot" is?

17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    It's about damn time Amazon does something with Twitch. lol

This is exciting. One free sub a month as well? Yes.

The prime membership was already worth getting for its other benefits. This is just icing on the cake.

What I really want to know is if this free sub thing benefits the streamer and not amazon. If not? It's kind of pointless, and just a free way of getting emotes and sub benefits. Hm.

Last edited by Memoir, Oct 1, 2016
    Tomato Hentai and Chary like this.
  18. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Amazon confirmed that it does indeed act as a real paid sub, so it does support the streamer! hooray!

T-to be honest...I don't really either. Sounds like some pieces of ingame digital content is given for free monthly?

Oh wow. It's what YouTube Gaming based itself off of. It's a site where people play games live, and usually commentate over it. Most of them are cringey, but there's quite a few good ones. It's also a great place to watch Overwatch/Rocket League/other competitive games.

Wha? Why is that?

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I knew Twitch was doomed as soon as Amazon bought it.

R.I.P Twitch.

20. Odnetnin46

Odnetnin46 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Some basement
    Free games and DLC, a free sub, no ads, and Turbo emotes thrown on top of my Prime membership for no extra cost. There's literally nothing I can complain about here, and I'm now saving $5/month due to my one and only Twitch subscription being free now. Klappa

Now ain't that a spicy meme.

Last edited by Odnetnin46, Oct 2, 2016