Hacking Twilight Hack and GCOS

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious about un-modded Wii's and import games. I'm buying Dream Mix TV World Fighters and I was wondering if I could run the Twilight hack, boot GCOS through it and run imports and/or backups on an un-modded Wii. I haven't heard of anyone trying that. It seems like that would work, but I just want to make sure. And, since in theory it seems like it could work, couldn't someone mod GCOS to run in Wii mod, therefore enabling Wii imports/backups? Just curious.

GeekShadow

Trophies
Website
blog.geekshadow.com
XP
Country
France
I already try GCOS, it don't work ...
But if the author update it maybe NGC isos will work
smile.gif

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As in it didn't boot, or the GCN ISO wouldn't run? And if it's the latter, did you try a legit copy? I'll be happy if I can get just legit imports working.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Even if you could run GCOS it wouldn't be able to boot anything from the drive of an unmodded Wii. Remember, the check for proper disc is in the drive itself and not the Wii firmware.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the whole point of GCOS was that it bypassed the drive check. And I'm still using a legit copy, I'm just trying to get an import GCN game working.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not totally sure about that, but I thought that was how it enabled any backup and import. I don't know about that. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can enlighten me, but if it does anything close to that, if it can run through the Twilight Hack then we should be able to play backups on unmodded Wiis sometime soon, maybe.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
underpressure116 said:
I thought the whole point of GCOS was that it bypassed the drive check. And I'm still using a legit copy, I'm just trying to get an import GCN game working.
GCOS is a great bootloader that allows you to :

- Have a disc with multiple games
- use games from any region like a Freeloader
- Boot homebrews

I don't think GCOS can bypass the drive check

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I believe it could on Gamecube. The one way to boot backup games on a gamecube was to run Action Replay with some specific codes that actually let you load from a SD gecko. From there you could run GCOS then run a game from there. I tried this and it did work but the problem I had was that I had a mass of DRES. I tried replacing the laser but that didn't help, it'd read originals fine but not backups. Even changing the POT didn't help at all.

That said the Wii seems to be less sensitive to which discs you use to backup your games. Most of the time it's just easier to get a modchip and not fiddle around with a bootloader or anything like that.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
i contacted emu_kidid (the maker of GCOS) a while ago inquiring about a wii mode GCOS and this is what he had to say:

Emu_Kidid said:
GCOS can't work in wii mode, simple as that.

Beware

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I agree, Critical_Impact, but my friend is not a fan of modding. He has no desire for homebrew or piracy, so the twilight hack is more than enough since he can play NES, SNES, etc. I just really want to play the game with him without having to carry my Wii around. I could always get a Freeloader, but if Nintendo patches that, it'd be a complete waste of money. I hope someone comes up with some way to get imports working without a chip.

lukeusher123

Trophies
XP
Country
although GCOS itsself cant run in wii mode, wouldnt it be possible for somebody to code a program that runs on the twlight exploit that uses the drives debug commands to bypass the drive checks?
This is how modchips work, and also how GCOS bypassed the drive checks on the gamecube.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
lukeusher123 said:
wouldnt it be possible for somebody to code a program that runs on the twlight exploit that uses the drives debug commands to bypass the drive checks?

No.

QUOTE(lukeusher123 @ Apr 20 2008, 12:08 PM) This is how modchips work, and also how GCOS bypassed the drive checks on the gamecube.

It's not quite how modchips work, they use the serial port to communicate with the drive. And the drive security has been improved slightly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1