1. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    EverSD-top.png

EverSD users may have noticed that in recent updates their 1.3.1 Evercade is no longer reading their homebrew development carts. In order to have the best of both worlds (homebrew and the latest features for Evercade), you need to flash a slightly modified file to allow your cart to be seen again and retain the ability to develop for this stunning little device. 1.2.0 was the last version you could use to run your dev carts, however, you may want the benefits of the latest updates to increase stability for your game carts and general QOL updated for the handheld.

Files needed:

Evercade 1.3.1 firmware update:
    https://blaze-evercade.com/Firmware/Evercade_Updater_1.3.1.zip

EverSD set up files:
    https://eversd.com/onewebmedia/EverSD.zip

Firmware patch xDelta:
    https://anonfiles.com/55K9r252q6/EverSD_1.3.1_BETA_zip

FIrmware patch xDelta with exFat support:
    https://anonfiles.com/b4ocGd8fqd/EverSD_1.3.1_BETA2_zip

Firmware flash tool:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rockchip-linux/tools/master/windows/RKDevTool_Release_v2.79.zip

Instructions:

IMPORTANT: If you installed drivers newer than the ones supplied in the 1.2.0 update you must uninstall them (re-run the driver installer and select uninstall option) and install the older generic rock chip drivers (v4.4 or lower) from here: https://androidmtk.com/download-rockchip-driver-assistant

1, Open the 1.3.1 BETA or 1.3.1 BETA 2 zip and use the xdelta GUI to patch the original 1.3.1 firmware IMG.
    xdeltpatch.png

2, Put the Evercade into flash mode by connecting to your PC via the supplied USB cable and holding the menu button when powering on.

3, Open the flash tool, select your device, select the patched 1.3.1 IMG file, and hit upgrade.

4, On your EverSD Micro SD card: copy the PNG file, from the beta zip, into your games folder overwriting the old one.

You're all done: Power up your Evercade and insert your EverSD to enjoy homebrew developing again.

(If you have problems with screen resolutions and button layouts, be sure that you replaced that png file!)

Last edited by KiiWii, Mar 5, 2021
  2. lemoncurdstevey

Newcomer

Many thanks for this - So apologies but I am struggling.

I have the correct patched file ok and verified. I have followed instructions but when going through the upgrade process it says that it has failed. I have Win10 64bit.

I tried it on a clean Win7 laptop and it failed the same way.

Basically I think its either: -
    1. The data cable I am using between Evercade and PC. Its brand new so not sure...
    2. Do I need to use a specific version of the client (aka the program for upgrading the firmware) - Currently I am using 1.8.

Just at a loss - Once again apologies because I bet its something really simple and obvious that I am clearly missing.

Also thanks again for this.

All the best

3. illumunatic1981

Newcomer

Germany
    Hi,i managed to flash it without problems,but now every emulators controll Settings are complete wrong.for example up is start ,l shoulder button moving right and so on.....in the menu the controlls are normal.But i cant find a way to change the button layout.

Scott_pilgrim and KiiWii like this.
  4. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    Just to let people know: this issue was fixed.

Glad you got it sorted :)

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  5. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    Try another cable, I used the one supplied by Evercade.

Any version of the flasher client should work, as long as it’s not the official one supplied by Evercade. Make sure it’s the rock chip one in the link in the OP. Maybe try the next version down.

6. evercadefan

evercadefan Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hi, sorry to be a pain, is there any way to downgrade the firmware to 1.2? I've been looking for a mirror of it, but I can't seem to find one.

7. dolsthoo

dolsthoo Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    If the Rockchip Batch Tool shows you the error "Check Chip Fail", then please download the latest RKDevTool v2.79 from Rockchip's gihub repository --> /rockchip-linux/tools/tree/master/windows/ --> RKDevTool_Release_v2.79.zip
    (sorry, as new member I'm not allowed to paste the URL here)

After unzipping - and assuming you can't read Chinese - you should open the config.ini and make sure the Selected Language is set to '2':
    upload_2021-3-2_21-12-30.png

Now start the RKDevTool, select tab 'Upgrade Firmware' and click the 'Firmware' button to select the patched FW .img file.
    • Click 'Upgrade' to start the upgrade process.
    • Note that you have to use the v4.4 Rockchip drivers.

Last edited by dolsthoo, Mar 2, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim and KiiWii like this.
  8. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    Updated OP.

Edit: I will upload an English version ready to go when I get a chance.

9. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    Updated the first post with a new version, BETA 2, adding ExFAT support for micro SD cards.

10. MrZarniwoop

MrZarniwoop Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for posting these beta firmware patch releases! I just wanted to note I successfully flashed my Evercade with EverSD with them, but it impacted Atari 7800 games. The display is corrupted and you can't see those games properly, although they do seem to run with a corrupted display.

Re-flashing back to 1.2.0 firmware fixes the issue.

UPDATE: I missed the step of copying the png file the first time. I did that and now Atari 7800 games work fine.

Last edited by MrZarniwoop, Mar 8, 2021
  11. Harlock

Harlock Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Hello, I have tried both versions, the one compatible with xfat and the normal one and in both I have the same problem. The keys are not well configured in the emulators but if in the main menu, you put that you have fixed it but you have to do something to make it work well, I have tried to change the emulators but I still have the same problem. Also, many of the games give me an image error with the colors.

12. Valenhir

Valenhir Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    I can’t get past step one. I always get this:

"Xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_Invalid_Input"

when trying to patch the original firmware.

Is there a way to get the firmware already patched?

Thanks.

EDIT: Don't know exactly what was wrong but I finally managed to patch it. I changed the output file name to one with no spaces but I'm not sure that was it.

Anyway, waiting to have my eversd shipped to check everything works fine.

Last edited by Valenhir, Apr 5, 2021
    KiiWii likes this.
  13. Sanmi23

Sanmi23 Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Same error for me:

"Xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_Invalid_Input"

I tried without spaces, different names for output file, with a newer version of delta, I tried dowloading the firmware this tutorial and from the official page again and can't patch the firmware.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

14. Only_39_999_95

Newcomer

United States
    Hi, I have the same issue, "Xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_Invalid_Input"..
    I'm trying to patch "Evercade_Firmware.img" from the Evercade 1.3.1 updater download.
    From a search on this xdelta error, it suggests that the patch doesn't fit the firmware image.
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks..

15. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    @Sanmi23 @Only_39_999_95 try rename the patch to “patch.xdelta” .. or something with no spaces and not multiple words.

The original patch has been removed from anon, but the second one is still up with exfat support. Either one you have: rename the xdelta this way and try again.

16. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    @Harlock swap in the PNG file. It’s crucial.

17. Only_39_999_95

Newcomer

United States
    Thanks - I have tried renaming to patch.xdelta but still got the same error.
    I am running with the firmware img, xdelta exes, patch etc in C:\EverSD\
    Could Evercade have maybe modified the 1.3.1 image in their zip download, so the patch no longer matches?

18. Valenhir

Valenhir Newbie
    Newcomer

Spain
    Is there a problem if I upload somewhere my already patched firmware?

I haven't been able to check if it works because I don't have my eversd yet.

By the way, how long does the seller take to ship these out? I ordered mine a week ago and it hasn't been shipped yet.

19. KiiWii

OP KiiWii Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    We cannot share that here.

Patches = ok.
    Link to official firmware = ok.
    Modified firmware = not ok to share here.

20. Excalibur007

Excalibur007 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I have tried this many times.
    • I patched the firmware without issue.
    • I uninstalled the newer rockchip drivers and installed version 4.4.
    • I'm using version 2.79 of the RKDevTool.
    • I connect my Evercade to my PC with the included usb cable (I've tried other known good ones as well, btw).
    • I power up my Evercade into flash mode.
    • RKDevTool says it found the loader device.
    • I load the patched firmware in RKDevTool.
    • I click "Upgrade" and it says "Test Device Start" but doesn't make any progress. After a few seconds it says "Test Device Fail".
    • I've even tried from each of my pc's usb ports for good measure. I know the physical connections are good anyway, since I previously upgraded with the official 1.3 firmware tool.
    What could be wrong?

P.S.
    Does anyone have the 1.2 firmware to upload?

Last edited by Excalibur007, Apr 6, 2021 at 8:31 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [TUTORIAL], Evercade, Firmware