Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed the same thing, actually. My nands are definitely unlinked, and I didn't touch sysnand when I formatted it. I also keep wifi off on sysnand. So one time I shut down my system so I can remove the sd card, and when I get into sysnand, I saw that wifi was on. I thought that was strange. I thought nothing of it at first, I thought maybe I accidentally turned it on. But later, I actually went into the settings, and the same wifi hotspot I have from emunand is in sysnand. And I know for certain I did not add it back in sysnand. It's really peculiar.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed the same thing, actually. My nands are definitely unlinked, and I didn't touch sysnand when I formatted it. I also keep wifi off on sysnand. So one time I shut down my system so I can remove the sd card, and when I get into sysnand, I saw that wifi was on. I thought that was strange. I thought nothing of it at first, I thought maybe I accidentally turned it on. But later, I actually went into the settings, and the same wifi hotspot I have from emunand is in sysnand. And I know for certain I did not add it back in sysnand. It's really peculiar.

Oh that... Yeah, that's just a thing.

Reactions: calebsw

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:) - "I told you so"

Those are two completely different things. . .

He either asked before reading the guide, or missed a step. *Or has an older version of the tut; before it was fixed*
Devmenu will be on Emunand once the process is done if every was followed / went correctly.

You're talking about adding FBI / BBM to Emunand afterwords, which can be done with the title manager that's already installed in Emunand (Devmenu). <_>

Edit: Added to OP Q&A just for you.
Q: How do I install other Title managers such as BigBlueMenu & FBI to my Emunand?
A: With the Title manager Devmenu in your Emunand.

Hellz92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible to boot ReiNAND through cubic ninja instead of the 4.X settings menu?

EDIT: Noticed too late that I was the last poster here before this post. Sorry mods for the double post.

Hoang Tran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi and thank you for making this guide.

I have a question and I cant solve it or find the answer to solve it.

I have installed Reinand on my 9.0 n3ds xl. The files are on the standard 4GB micro sd card that came with the system. I can load Reinand through the mset profile exploit thing just fine and I know that I am on Reinand Emunand because it says .:Rei 9.0 etc.

So what I want to do is increase the 4gb micro sd card into a 64gb micro sd card that I have formatted into FAT32. I have dragged over the files that were in the 4gb into the 64gb then popped it into the n3ds xl.

When I try to do the mset profile exploit, I hit "start" when it Reinand ask me to however it will boot me back into system nand every single time. If I put the 4gb card back in, it will go into Reinand Emunand. I dont get it? :\ Can someone please help and explain to me why the 64gb card isnt working even though the n3ds xl recognizes it because it is in fat32?

Thanks for reading.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi and thank you for making this guide.

I have a question and I cant solve it or find the answer to solve it.

I have installed Reinand on my 9.0 n3ds xl. The files are on the standard 4GB micro sd card that came with the system. I can load Reinand through the mset profile exploit thing just fine and I know that I am on Reinand Emunand because it says .:Rei 9.0 etc.

So what I want to do is increase the 4gb micro sd card into a 64gb micro sd card that I have formatted into FAT32. I have dragged over the files that were in the 4gb into the 64gb then popped it into the n3ds xl.

When I try to do the mset profile exploit, I hit "start" when it Reinand ask me to however it will boot me back into system nand every single time. If I put the 4gb card back in, it will go into Reinand Emunand. I dont get it? :\ Can someone please help and explain to me why the 64gb card isnt working even though the n3ds xl recognizes it because it is in fat32?

Thanks for reading.

Format Emunand on the new mSD (Backup your files first)
Extract your Emunand from the 4gb with EmunandTool
Inject the Emunand into the new mSD
Copy everything back over to the new mSD

You should be all set after that.

Hoang Tran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Format Emunand on the new mSD (Backup your files first)
Extract your Emunand from the 4gb with EmunandTool
Inject the Emunand into the new mSD
Copy everything back over to the new mSD

You should be all set after that.
Sorry but this is going to sound like a stupid question. I do not know what you mean when you said "format emunand" on the new mSD. How do I go about ?

I have extracted the Emunand from the 4gb with EmunandTool like you said. ty for providing the link to that tool.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry but this is going to sound like a stupid question. I do not know what you mean when you said "format emunand" on the new mSD. How do I go about ?

I have extracted the Emunand from the 4gb with EmunandTool like you said. ty for providing the link to that tool.

Launch Gateway Menu > Format Emunand (with new mSD)

Hoang Tran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do I go about launching the Gateway Menu when it now launches Reinand through the ds profile mset now?

I tried holding "L" when I hit DS Profile but the Reinand screen pops up instead asking me to hit start to boot up.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I go about launching the Gateway Menu when it now launches Reinand through the ds profile mset now?

I tried holding "L" when I hit DS Profile but the Reinand screen pops up instead asking me to hit start to boot up.

Assuming you used CN

With Cubic Ninja - To wipe the save (QR code) L + R + X + Y
Rescan the Gateway QR
Do your Gateway Menu Stuff
Rewipe CN save & rescann Ninjhax if you want.

Or you could just install the Gateway ROP if you want to boot via Profile Exploit.

Hoang Tran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used the Ocarina of Time exploit. Now Im trying to remember/figure out how to set all that up again because I dont have it in the save slot anymore.

Hoang Tran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used a o3ds xl for the Zelda exploit.

I would like to say thank you very much for helping me today. I have done what you have mentioned and now my 64gb mSD card works just fine with Reinand Emunand!

Now I can finally go to sleep and tomorrow I'll read up on how to install CIA games in Reinand. Hopefully its not too difficult!

Thank you again.

lolcat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone!,

This is my very first post in this forum... first of all i would like to thank @usernametaken for his tutorial, this is the simplest I've ever found to do this whole process. I'm a n00b with everything related to the 3DS and it's been a hell of a ride for me... about a month ago I tried following this tutorial, but after 3 or 4 hours trying, i managed to brick the damn thing because I installed the update .cias (for 9.5...) directly into my sysNAND. Yes... i .... did .... it... and i don't even remember how got to that point, really, i was that confused back then.

Luckily i had the nand.bin file and i was able to do the hardmod thing and fix the N3DS. OMG!, that was one of the worst nightmares I've ever had, along with that PS2 modchip i installed 7 or 8 years ago when i was in high school. My soldering skills are not getting any better... sh*t!!!.

Now back to topic, I'd really appreciate if you guys can help me here. This time I managed to install Reinand and updated that emuNAND to 9.5... but i think i've done some bad things in the process. Can you please check the steps i followed and tell me if i did something bad?:

1. after unlinking my sysNAND from my emuNAND, i placed the BigBlueMenu.cia and the USA folder into my SDcard so i could update the emuNAND to 9.5.
  2. Booted into Reinand (emuNAND) and executed DevMenu.
  3. Instead o selecting BigBlueMenu.cia for install, I selected DevMenu.cia by error and tried to install it. I got an error (something "fail already exists" but i don't remember anymore).
  4. I immediately selected BigBlueMenu.cia and installed it with no issues.
  5. back to Reinand, i realized the devmenu shortcut was GONE!, but BigBlueMenu was there... so i updated my emuNAND using that as instructed.
  6. Back to Reinand, i could see the update process went fine... but the devmenu shortcut was still missing. So i used BigBlueMenu to install DevMenu.cia once again and it all went fine!. DevMenu was back to my home screen and working perfectly fine.

So, what the hell just happened?. Did i screwed up by doing all of this?. Why do i need BigBlueMenu and DevMenu when they're so similar?. There's also many people suggesting me to install the FBI thing so i can install .cia files... aren't these 3 programs the same thing?.

And then there's the 3ds to cia conversion process... which is incredibly confusing for me. Using 3DS Simple CIA Converter it seems like i need some xorpads files which i can only get using rxTools (what!? another CFW/emuNAND!?, how do i do that!?), or with some other program called Decrypt9 (how do i run that? i can only find .3dsx .dat .bin files inside the app .zip folder)

I'm totally lost here!. I would really appreciate if you guys can point me to the right direction.

Edit: I have a N3DS XL (USA) with firmware 9.0... and cubic ninja. :)

Last edited by lolcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1