Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm stuck on this step, and not sure what I'm doing wrong. It's Step 2, where I have to install devmenu.cia from FBI. Every time I try, I get the Install failed/access denied error... I tried what you said a lot of times, and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

So I launch CN, launch ninjax and get into homebrew. Hold L and then press A on pasta, open options, set FirmLaunch to No, then click Give me pasta. Get back to home screen Launch CN, launch ninjhax, launch fbi, and then click devmenu.cia?

Install failed...

Should I be installing it to NAND or SD? I don't know what else I can do besides follow the steps over and over, but I keep getting the same result.

You missed a step. You need to navigate to 3DS Homemenu or some shit, then click through a few folders till you see one with extdata. Create a folder next to it (not in it) and make to two text files. Rename them to import.db and title.db. Then run FBI and install DEVmenu.

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You missed a step. You need to navigate to 3DS Homemenu or some shit, then click through a few folders till you see one with extdata. Create a folder next to it (not in it) and make to two text files. Rename them to import.db and title.db. Then run FBI and install DEVmenu.

Yeah, I did that, but it didn't make any difference. The error I'm looking at is the same as this guy's here from a couple pages back, although he gets his error when installing bigblue, I'm only trying to install devmenu. Everything I've read in this thread or other threads say it's because sysnand won't install unsigned code, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to successfully install this? Am I supposed to launch rei before launching CN>ninjhax>fbi?

Spong92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I did that, but it didn't make any difference. The error I'm looking at is the same as this guy's here from a couple pages back, although he gets his error when installing bigblue, I'm only trying to install devmenu. Everything I've read in this thread or other threads say it's because sysnand won't install unsigned code, but I don't understand how I'm supposed to successfully install this? Am I supposed to launch rei before launching CN>ninjhax>fbi?
I'll bet you're using the newest version of FBI. Use a previous version and it should be fine. I had this issue myself.

Reactions: calebsw

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
just an update, redid your steps using oot and got it working. i probably messed up in the reinand rop, but now it is working. thanks a lot for the files and tutorial

Reactions: usernametaken

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try to install BigBlueMenu first and use that to install the devmenu?

I have not, I'm just trying to follow the guide exactly step by step. Does it matter that I'm trying the "without gateway" method if I want to try to use bigbluemenu?

I'll bet you're using the newest version of FBI. Use a previous version and it should be fine. I had this issue myself.

I was using the 1.4.6b that came with OP's instructions, but I did upgrade to 1.4.9 in case that was the problem. So now you're saying I should downgrade it? Do you remember the version you used by any chance?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not, I'm just trying to follow the guide exactly step by step. Does it matter that I'm trying the "without gateway" method if I want to try to use bigbluemenu?

I was using the 1.4.6b that came with OP's instructions, but I did upgrade to 1.4.9 in case that was the problem. So now you're saying I should downgrade it? Do you remember the version you used by any chance?

You want to use Devmenu to install the Mset.cia
You can install BigBlueMenu with FBI if you like still.

FBI provided is an unofficial FBI that has ROP installers injected into it. You'll need to use that if you don't have a NDS flashcart when it comes time to install Reinands ROP. Other than that, you can use whatever version you like / works.

Edit: Make sure you're Launching Homebrew Menu > Pasta > Homebrew Menu > FBI to install cias.

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to use Devmenu to install the Mset.cia
You can install BigBlueMenu with FBI if you like still.

FBI provided is an unofficial FBI that has ROP installers injected into it. You'll need to use that if you don't have a NDS flashcart when it comes time to install Reinands ROP. Other than that, you can use whatever version you like / works.
Hmm well trying to install bigbluemenu gave me the same error as when trying to install devmenu before. But I went back to the FBI github page, and I saw that 1.4.7 had this feature: "Add Reinand N3DS 4.x MSET ROP" which sounded like what usernametaken just told me... And sure enough, it works! I tried big blue first, but after seeing that succeed, I thought I would just try devmenu, and that worked as well! So I guess I didn't need to mess with bigbluemenu anyways. But thanks for the tips, gentlement.

Spong92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

I used 1.4.8 and it worked perfect:)

Edit: Just saw you got it working haha

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried following the firmware upgrade guide so I can play Xenoblade on emunand, but I get this error in BigBlueMenu when trying to install the files:
This cia is invalid (0xD8E08027)

Does it matter that I have already unlinked my nands?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried following the firmware upgrade guide so I can play Xenoblade on emunand, but I get this error in BigBlueMenu when trying to install the files:
This cia is invalid (0xD8E08027)

Does it matter that I have already unlinked my nands?

You can try installing with Devmenu if BBM isn't working for you. Did the install stop at this error, or did it go through all of the cias?
If it went through the entire list, you're likely on 9.5.0-23 (check your system settings, then boot back into emunand when you're done) **When you go into settings and back out, it'll kick you back to Sysnand. DO NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE AFTER GOING INTO SETTINGS, THEN EXITING!

Unlinking the Nands doesn't matter.

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just tried on devmenu and it's working now. In BBM, it was stopping after the very first file every time, so it never had a chance to check the other ones. Thanks again

Edit: Weird, after about halfway, I got an error with DevMenu. My only options were to retry or cancel. Retrying did not help, so I just cancelled it. After rebooting, my system and getting back to EmuNAND, I decided to try BBM again, and this time it worked! It was skipping about half of the files which had already been installed with DevMenu, and it finally completed. That is so weird. I can't explain it, but I'm definitely on emu9.5 now with no issues.

Last edited by calebsw,
Reactions: usernametaken

Huxley

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I need some help, I just received a brand new n3ds with 9.0.23. I didn't set up my NNID before I downgraded mset to 4.0, now I dont have any option to login or create a NNID for my N3DS.
Is it posible to update the mset in order to set a new NNID?
Or should I update my emunand to 9.5 and set a NNID (sysnand and emunand are linked)?

Thanks

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some help, I just received a brand new n3ds with 9.0.23. I didn't set up my NNID before I downgraded mset to 4.0, now I dont have any option to login or create a NNID for my N3DS.
Is it posible to update the mset in order to set a new NNID?
Or should I update my emunand to 9.5 and set a NNID (sysnand and emunand are linked)?

Thanks

You can still setup a NNID on Sysnand if you want to.
You'll launch Ninjhax > Pasta > Ninjhax > FBI > FreeMultiPatcher > Pasta > Boot FreeMultiPatcher > You can now access the E-shop & setup a NNID on Sysnand.

What I did was just setup my NNID on the Emunand. No reason to be on the Sysnand unless you're playing a gba.cia or you want to get Youtube app from the e-shop so you can boot Ninjhax with that (You need an internet connection every time you use this method)

Reactions: Huxley

joex11

Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
You can still setup a NNID on Sysnand if you want to.
You'll launch Ninjhax > Pasta > Ninjhax > FBI > FreeMultiPatcher > Pasta > Boot FreeMultiPatcher > You can now access the E-shop & setup a NNID on Sysnand.

What I did was just setup my NNID on the Emunand. No reason to be on the Sysnand unless you're playing a gba.cia or you want to get Youtube app from the e-shop so you can boot Ninjhax with that (You need an internet connection every time you use this method)
wouldn't freemultipatcher work directly with reinand?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having an issue. The system locks up every time I get to the "Run Pasta" portion in Step 2: Prepping Sysnand. (Hold L, run Pasta, set Options, etc...). The system just locks up with a black screen when I launch "Give me some Pasta".

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having an issue. The system locks up every time I get to the "Run Pasta" portion in Step 2: Prepping Sysnand. (Hold L, run Pasta, set Options, etc...). The system just locks up with a black screen when I launch "Give me some Pasta".

That's pretty weird.
First i'd try launching pasta a couple more times.
Then i'd copy paste everything from the download back to your internal mSD if that didn't work.
If neither of those solved your problem, i'd try a different mSD.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty weird.
First i'd try launching pasta a couple more times.
Then i'd copy paste everything from the download back to your internal mSD if that didn't work.
If neither of those solved your problem, i'd try a different mSD.
I factory reset the console and used a different mSD, still the same issue...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto