Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. The NAnd backup from Paste is 1.21GB. Also checked folders and files, still black screen after see Reinand splash screen.
It boot into a black lower screen, with a black upper with the logo Reinand - 'Press start'. After press start, screen go to black.
Any suggestion?

I'd just drag and drop all of the files inside the for mSD folder back onto your mSD. Just to make sure you have everything there.
If that doesn't do it, you could try reformating the Emunand. (Make a backup of your mSD beforehand if you do this, so you can just drop everything back onto it)

sky007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I'd just drag and drop all of the files inside the for mSD folder back onto your mSD. Just to make sure you have everything there.
If that doesn't do it, you could try reformating the Emunand. (Make a backup of your mSD beforehand if you do this, so you can just drop everything back onto it)

I followed PROCESS WITHOUT GATEWAY.
In the manual step 2, the backup sysnand happened after install Devmenu.cia and before import mset_(region).cia. Is it correct?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed PROCESS WITHOUT GATEWAY.
In the manual step 2, the backup sysnand happened after install Devmenu.cia and before import mset_(region).cia. Is it correct?

It sounds like you're using a slightly older version of the guide. It's been revised to exclude backing up the Sysnand (For the second time) after installing Devmenu & no longer uses EmunanTool.

Still, if you're getting the splash screen, there's really no reason for it not to work; unless you don't have all of the files for Reinand on your mSD.

sky007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It sounds like you're using a slightly older version of the guide. It's been revised to exclude backing up the Sysnand (For the second time) after installing Devmenu & no longer uses EmunanTool.

Still, if you're getting the splash screen, there's really no reason for it not to work; unless you don't have all of the files for Reinand on your mSD.

It is working now. I just use emunandtool injecting the Gateway NAND backup, which is 1.84GB. The Reinand boot up, but the dev menu gone in emunand.

Onw more question, how I can install FBI to emunand now?
Thanks for help, usernametaken.

Last edited by sky007,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is working now. I just use emunandtool injecting the Gateway NAND backup, which is 1.84GB. The Reinand boot up, but the dev menu gone in emunand.

Onw more question, how I can install FBI to emunand now?
Thanks for help, usernametaken.

If you made a backup of the contents of your mSD (and still have it) you can copy it back over and you should have DevMenu in emunand again.
Otherwise, you'll need to relink your Emunand and Sysnand - You can do this by reformatting the Emunand in Gateway menu (Or Pasta menu should work)
Once your nands are linked > Reinstall Devmenu to Sysnand > Turn off 3DS > Remove mSD > Format Sysnand > Do setup once more > Reinsert mSD - When you boot into Reinand, you should have Devmenu.

Zer151

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Unlink systemnand from emunand to fix unwrap gift issue will lost the ds profile exploit? Or any installed .cia?
Thank you

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlink systemnand from emunand to fix unwrap gift issue will lost the ds profile exploit? Or any installed .cia?
Thank you

The intstall ROP (What you install with FBI / NDS flashcart) will be wiped and need to be reinstalled.
It won't wipe any installed cias from the emunand, but they will no longer be on the Sysnand (If you format the sysnand for the unlink)

sky007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
If you made a backup of the contents of your mSD (and still have it) you can copy it back over and you should have DevMenu in emunand again.
Otherwise, you'll need to relink your Emunand and Sysnand - You can do this by reformatting the Emunand in Gateway menu (Or Pasta menu should work)
Once your nands are linked > Reinstall Devmenu to Sysnand > Turn off 3DS > Remove mSD > Format Sysnand > Do setup once more > Reinsert mSD - When you boot into Reinand, you should have Devmenu.

Relink nand > Reinstall Devmenu & FBI to SD > Reformatting the Emunand in Gateway menu > Turn off 3DS > Remove mSD > Copy files to SD > Format Sysnand > Do setup once more > Reinsert mSD > Reinstall "Reinand N3DS 4.x MSET" > Turn off 3DS.
Now it fixed. Thanks.

sky007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Now I have Sysnand and emunand unlinked, am I safe just use Devmenu install 9.5.0-23U?
Nice to have a sample guide how to safely update emunand.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I have Sysnand and emunand unlinked, am I safe just use Devmenu install 9.5.0-23U?
Nice to have a sample guide how to safely update emunand.

Devmenu should be perfectly fine for installing the firmware update to your Emunand. I used BigBlueMenu when I first got my N3DS to update, Sysupdater.cia has been popular around here recently (Instead of overwriting old revisions of the titleIDs, it'll first uninstall the old then install the new firmware cias in their place)

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
Every time I install using Reinand > Big Blue menu > Update, it bricks!
I'm on my 4th brick right now x_x

@usernametaken
What version of Gateway was in your tutorial?
It doesn't say anywhere and if it doesn't support 9.5
maybe this is what's causing the bricks?

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said it, but mad props for creating this guide and gathering the files. For a new guy like me, this guide helped me understand CFW and made emuNAND easily obtainable. Plus MSET is pretty sweet on my N3DS.

Edit: while my opinion is worth as much as a jar of dirt, I think such an effective guide that took me from zero to complete command of my N3DS should be stickied. The only thing I'd add to the guide is multipatcher for eShop access on emuNAND. It wasn't hard to do after this guide (nothing was, which makes this a great diving board) but it seems important since we can only upgrade to 9.5 (still trying to figure a safe and effective way to update my emuNAND to 9.5 on the N3DS).

Last edited by kontrolaltdelete,
Reactions: usernametaken

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every time I install using Reinand > Big Blue menu > Update, it bricks!
I'm on my 4th brick right now x_x

@usernametaken
What version of Gateway was in your tutorial?
It doesn't say anywhere and if it doesn't support 9.5
maybe this is what's causing the bricks?

Sorry to say, but you're doing something wrong & i'm not entirely sure what it is atm. :|
I just took a boxed N3DS > Installed BBM to Reinand > Installed 9.5.0-23(U) *North American console* > reboot & everything is A-OK.

Are you certain that your N3DS is North American region >U< ?
And you're installing 9.5.0-23(U)?

Gateway is either 3.2.1 (Pretty sure it's this one) or 3.4. Either way, it's not the gateway revision. :P

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to say, but you're doing something wrong & i'm not entirely sure what it is atm. :|
I just took a boxed N3DS > Installed BBM to Reinand > Installed 9.5.0-23(U) *North American console* > reboot & everything is A-OK.

Are you certain that your N3DS is North American region >U< ?
And you're installing 9.5.0-23(U)?

Gateway is either 3.2.1 (Pretty sure it's this one) or 3.4. Either way, it's not the gateway revision. :P

lol I think I figured it out the problem, I think my nand and sysnand are linked, when I installed BBM
and ran it, it ran on Sysnand for some reason. When I run Reinand now BBM appears as a gift so is not
the same from before.

I will unlink and try for my 5 brick lol, I'll let you know

btw I trust you and appreciate everything you do :P

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doh! I'm an idiot. I followed what some of you other guys were doing, updated to 9.5, then installed CN as a cia. I ran it twice, it stopped at 70%. Then it dawned on me - I can't effing use homebrew anymore with my unlinked emuNAND being at 9.5. I guess it's good I can install cias all day. Just a bummer. If I update the 3dsx file to Ninjhax 2.1, how will that mess with my sysNAND on 1.1b? Would that even work for my emuNAND?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doh! I'm an idiot. I followed what some of you other guys were doing, updated to 9.5, then installed CN as a cia. I ran it twice, it stopped at 70%. Then it dawned on me - I can't effing use homebrew anymore with my unlinked emuNAND being at 9.5. I guess it's good I can install cias all day. Just a bummer. If I update the 3dsx file to Ninjhax 2.1, how will that mess with my sysNAND on 1.1b? Would that even work for my emuNAND?

Never tried to launch Ninjhax from emunand myself. If I want to homebrew menu, I just System settings > Close, which kicks you to Sysnand > Launch Ninjhax. :P

If you install CN to the Emunand, its save file will be stored on the N3DS' internal SD (In the emunands folder) - If you're using a physical cart for CN on Sysnand, then there's no reason for them to interfere with each other. :)

Zer151

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I
Never tried to launch Ninjhax from emunand myself. If I want to homebrew menu, I just System settings > Close, which kicks you to Sysnand > Launch Ninjhax. :P

If you install CN to the Emunand, its save file will be stored on the N3DS' internal SD (In the emunands folder) - If you're using a physical cart for CN on Sysnand, then there's no reason for them to interfere with each other. :)
it can install by gateway?

kontrolaltdelete

Task Manager
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Where does emuNAND seek its boot.3dsx file? My microSD or somewhere else that I can install the 2.1 version to?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9pwfLTaW8J8?si=FaKUzB-OBP92LnUD