1. Spong92

Spong92 Member
    Newcomer

My systems not unlinked for some reason. I followed the whole tutorial and once mset was set up I removed the SD and formatted the system memory. Then plugged the SD back in once everything in the initial setup was finished, and for some reason the Emunand is still sharing the same folder as Sysnand. I've even tried this again and still their linked. I will try restoring my original nand via Gateway, and see if I can unlink them this way.

The only other thing I could think of is I'm using a 64gb SDXC card, but it's formatted to FAT32 so I fail to see why this would be the reason :/

2. usernametaken

OP usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You can check your friend code between Sys and Emu to see if they're linked - Changing theme on Sysnand - creating folders on Sysnand.

Formatting the Sysnand with the mSD removed will unlink the the two. Each time you format the System, it generates a new id code.
    Emunand can be formatted as well, but without gateway you don't want to do this, or you'll lose the Title manager (Devmenu)

3. Cinnamon

Cinnamon GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    After you remove the card, format. Put in card and set up.

4. Spong92

Spong92 Member
    Newcomer

Was definitely linked as the themes, folders etc were consistent across both nands. I have restored the backup from the start and now it's back to how it was. I'll try again.

Do you think unlinking the console after the mset downgrade is what caused it :/. It's just weird. I definitely formated the 3ds with no SD card in (even did it twice when it didn't work first time) so I have no idea how they stayed linked.

5. usernametaken

United States
    No, un-linking after installing Mset isn't the problem. You can make a backup of your Emunand using the emunand tool, unless you haven't installed anything to emunand yet, then you can just use the last Sysnand backup you made (With Devmenu installed) > Format 3DS with mSD inserted > Emunandtool to inject that backed up NAND.BIN & see if that does the trick for you.

6. Spong92

Spong92 Member
    Newcomer

Thanks for all your help, I'll give it a try!

7. kekz23

kekz23 Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    thanks for the guide, but I also have trouble unlinking.
    When I formated without the SD card in, I redid the setup, put the SD card back in and when I booted into Reinand my CIA were gone and sysnand and emunand were still linked(tested by switching themes)

8. usernametaken

United States
    Try doing what I suggested in my last post then.
    I'm not sure why some people are having a hard time unlinking their Nands. Removing the internal SD & formatting is the exact thing I did & what's been suggested many times before. Hell I recently formatted my Sysnand while making this guide (without an SD & With) both times got a new ID.

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

sounds like people are just not setting up emunand, happen with most guides, people skip steps, improvise and think they can do steps in whatever order they like, or simply add steps into the guide and then wonder why it didn't work :rolleyes:

if emunand is set up and you format system nand it wouldnt be linked afterwards unless
    A) you didnt have emunand setup to begin with
    B) you then dump sysnand and overwrite emunand with the newly formatted sysnand
    C) the wheels of fate hit that 1 in 1 million million chance of generating the exact same movable.sed value after formatting

Last edited by gamesquest1, Aug 14, 2015
  10. kekz23

kekz23 Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    Is it possible to boot into Reinand without Emunand?

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

not certain, but i guess so if there is no emunand setup on the SD card, similar to how GW works, if emunand is there, it uses emunan, if not it just boots sysnand with sig checks patched

12. kekz23

kekz23 Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    It does say Rei90.xxxxxx which should mean it's emunand though. Gonna try it again later.

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

yeah i will have a look later too, i only had a quick test of rei-nand, not sure of all of its different behaviors i.e if it into sysnand if emunand is not setup, and if it does, if it still shows up Rei9.x

but 90% of the time when people say their emunand is still linked to sysnand after formatting it usually turns out they actually never formatted emunand and its linked because what they think is emunand is still sysnand

14. usernametaken

United States
    Yes, the latest version of Reinand (which is in the pack) can boot to Sysnand with signatures patched if there is no Emunand installed.

Yeah, that's more than likely it. It'd be pretty odd for formatting sysnand to suddenly stop changing the ID for some people like that. xD

15. kekz23

kekz23 Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    okay I think I got it to work, what I did though I skipped the emunandtool step.
    I formated Emunand, boot Pasta, boot FBI, installed devmenu and FBI, booted reinand to check if everything was there, formated memory without SD, did setup, put SD back in and booted into Reinand.
    Reinand still had Devmenu and FBI installed and has a different theme now.
    I also skipped the entire MSet thingy, but I did that the first time also.
    So not sure why It didn't work the first time, the only thing I did different this time was that I skipped the
    copying your DevMenu ready sysnand to Emunand

anyway, thanks again for the guide and the package.

edit: So If I want to go to 9.5 and my Emunand, do I just popin puzzle and dragon in my sky3ds while I'm in emunand and let it update?

Last edited by kekz23, Aug 14, 2015
  16. usernametaken

United States
    Glad to hear you got it working.
    Yes, you cant can (Typo) update through roms, or you can use devmenu + 9.5.0-23(region) firmware to update your emunand.

Edit: @kekz23 Ok went through the process on my N3DS (Hopefully for the last time x_x), you are correct. Injecting the Backed up Sysnand to emunand re-links the two profiles & wipes devmenu.
    I'll alter the guide to exclude the use of Emutool for now. The intention of using the injection of the Sysnand was to avoid carrying the 4.x downgrade over to the emunand. But it's not a big deal & with a firmware upgrade it'll get wiped.

Last edited by usernametaken, Aug 14, 2015
  17. kekz23

kekz23 Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    ah, I'm glad I could help a little, guess I'll just update directly through devmenu then, thanks.

18. usernametaken

United States
    Link on pastebin has been updated.

Tut has been revised:
    Removed section regarding second sysnand backup with Pasta & Emunandtool.
    Added optional section for unlinking Nands & reasoning / consequences *New friend code on the Sysnand & NNID wipe on Sysnand*

Emunandtool has been removed.

Spong92 likes this.
  19. Makilili

Makilili Member
    Newcomer

France
    is the mega link of the pastebin post dead ? i don't manage to download the .zip anymore there

Last edited by Makilili, Aug 16, 2015
  20. usernametaken

United States
    Sorry about that. I accidentally deleted it (sent to rubbish bin) when clearing up my mega.
    Same link is back up and running.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - [Tutorial], Setting, Reinand