Hacking [Tutorial] Setting up Reinand CFW from scratch

Makilili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your quick reupload :) I went through your tuto, and i reached the end without major problem. It is really well done for newbies like me. I have just 2 questions to know if i did everything good (maybe it's stupid, i dunno) :

-When i boot in emunand through NDS profil exploit, are the signatures checks already disabled or do I have to do "cubic->qrcode->pasta->give me some pasta" for the patch ?

-when i do "cubic->qrcode" and go to the homewbrew launcher, there are 3 app "Reinand, Pasta, FBI". Is it normal that if I click on Reinand, the consol does nothin for 2 sec (mini freeze) and then go back on the homebrew launcher like if i did nohting ? Or should it boot in a new menu like it does when i press L and click on pasta ?
(Maybe it's because i do it before doing "give me some pasta" and so the sig checks are enabled so it doesn't work (the answer to my first question) or maybe I need to make a key combi to launch Reinand, like pasta ? (L+A) )

Last edited by Makilili,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Signatures are patched in cfw, so you don't have to use Cubic Ninja at all from the emunand. You only need to Ninjhax > Pasta > Ninjhax during the setup process to first patch the signatures with Pasta then use FBI to install files to the Sysnand.
2. If you go from Sysnand > Ninjhax > Reinand it should boot you directly to the cfw. If you're trying to launch Cubic Ninja > Ninjhax > Reinand while already in Reinand cfw, that may be the cause of it not booting.

Makilili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh ok, so if I go in settings and I see Rei 9.0.0-20E it means I am in Reinand Cfw ? (and so, on the emunand ?). Even faster, if I see the different color theme i set up when i was on Rei 9.0.0-20E it means I'm in Reinand cfw ?

I have a last question (damn i annoying). Now i am in Reinand, I need to do "CN -> Qrcode -> homebrew menu ->Fbi" to install .cia each time, or maybe do this one time, install a .cia installer (in format .cia) and then i will be able to launch this .cia installer from the Reinand home ?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok, so if I go in settings and I see Rei 9.0.0-20E it means I am in Reinand Cfw ? (and so, on the emunand ?). Even faster, if I see the different color theme i set up when i was on Rei 9.0.0-20E it means I'm in Reinand cfw ?

I have a last question (damn i annoying). Now i am in Reinand, I need to do "CN -> Qrcode -> homebrew menu ->Fbi" to install .cia each time, or maybe do this one time, install a .cia installer (in format .cia) and then i will be able to launch this .cia installer from the Reinand home ?

If you setup an Emunand, then yes, BUT... If you go into settings, when you exit out, you'll no longer be in emunand. Every cfw / emunand has this 'bug'. :|
If your nands are unlinked, yes. This is the best way to differentiate imo.

Devmenu which you installed to Sysnand during the setup process should be transfered over to Reinand (emunand). All you need to do is boot into Emunand and once there you can use Devmenu to install other cias.

Makilili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I confirm the emunand back to sysnand after system bug. But Strangely, when in emunand, i don't see the Devmenu icon on the home menu, as there is no trace of devmenu installation in emunand. First I supposed it was because the Nand were unlinked, but after reading your tuto again, i see i unlinked nand after the devmenu installation soo no idea why... I will try to re install it via cn-> homebrew menu" when in emunand

EDIT: hmmm it seems i can't use ninjhax on my emunand, at least as it was configured for my sysnand. When i go in create->qrcode, it gives me a popup talking about navigator app, and it freezes on it. Maybe i need to use another Qrcode than the 9.0.0-20E ?
Or is it normal to not be able to launch ninjhax while in a cfw ? i just wanted to access the homebrew home where i could launch fbi

Last edited by Makilili,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I confirm the emunand back to sysnand after system bug. But Strangely, when in emunand, i don't see the Devmenu icon on the home menu, as there is no trace of devmenu installation in emunand. First I supposed it was because the Nand were unlinked, but after reading your tuto again, i see i unlinked nand after the devmenu installation soo no idea why... I will try to re install it via cn-> homebrew menu" when in emunand

EDIT: hmmm it seems i can't use ninjhax on my emunand, at least as it was configured for my sysnand. When i go in create->qrcode, it gives me a popup talking about navigator app, and it freezes on it. Maybe i need to use another Qrcode than the 9.0.0-20E ?
Or is it normal to not be able to launch ninjhax while in a cfw ? i just wanted to access the homebrew home where i could launch fbi

I believe Reinand uses a firmlaunch of 9.5, so you wouldn't be able to use Ninjhax to install anything, even if it were as simple as that.
I'd suggest re-installing Devmenu to Sysnand (if it's not there anymore > gateway menu with cubic ninja > format emunand again (they'll be re-linked) > Confirm it's transfered to the emunand by booting reinand > If you then have devmenu, unlink them again by removing the mSD & formatting sysnand.

Spong92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would it make more sense to unlink the nands after installing devmenu but before downgrading mset? That way the Emunand should maintain it's 9.* settings whilst the Sysnand is downgraded as usual.

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it make more sense to unlink the nands after installing devmenu but before downgrading mset? That way the Emunand should maintain it's 9.* settings whilst the Sysnand is downgraded as usual.

Yes, that's an option you could take before installing the mSet, though once installed, it'll persist even after a sysformat.
The goal was to have this as condensed as possible, if I alter the guide again, i'll likely just provide the steps needed to upgrade the emunand to 9.5.0-23(region) since most people are likely to update, which would wipe the mset anyways.

Reactions: Spong92

Makilili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
after re installing DevMenu on SysNand, can i launch pastaCFW and use its format emuNand option ? or it is safier to take the launcher.dat of gateway and use the format emunand of the gateway

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after re installing DevMenu on SysNand, can i launch pastaCFW and use its format emuNand option ? or it is safier to take the launcher.dat of gateway and use the format emunand of the gateway

I'm not positive if Pastas format emunand is the same as gateways. You're welcome to give it a shot though. If it doesn't work with Reinand, you can just boot up Gateway Menu and reformat again.

Makilili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Arf I don't understand why but everything went bad :/

I tried what you said :
Install DevMenu on sysNand thourgh FBI - OK (I saw it on the home of the sysnand)
Boot in Gateway Launcher and format emuNand - OK
Copy the contents of the Root of mSD again - OK

But then no trace of Devmenu on emunand AND sysnand (with and without pasta patch launched).

I have a question : after gateway formats emunand, when i put the mSD in computer, there is still one LAUNCHER.dat in the card. Until now when i copy the contents of "Root of mSD" i replaced this one by the 'Root of mSD"s one.
Could it be this ?

Otherwise i really don't know why it failed like that on mine..

EDIT : i am doing the manip again, but i was thinking :

When in FBI, should i rather install DevMenu.cia in NAND instead of SD if I want to transfer in emunand ? it is told to install on SD in the tuto , and SD is the default set in FBI
And before I fromat emunand, should i save my SD folder "Nintendo 3DS" on computer, and then putting it back with the "Root of mSD" after formatting ? I didn't do that before.

Last edited by Makilili,

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arf I don't understand why but everything went bad :/

I tried what you said :
Install DevMenu on sysNand thourgh FBI - OK (I saw it on the home of the sysnand)
Boot in Gateway Launcher and format emuNand - OK
Copy the contents of the Root of mSD again - OK

But then no trace of Devmenu on emunand AND sysnand (with and without pasta patch launched).

I have a question : after gateway formats emunand, when i put the mSD in computer, there is still one LAUNCHER.dat in the card. Until now when i copy the contents of "Root of mSD" i replaced this one by the 'Root of mSD"s one.
Could it be this ?

Otherwise i really don't know why it failed like that on mine..

EDIT : i am doing the manip again, but i was thinking :

When in FBI, should i rather install DevMenu.cia in NAND instead of SD if I want to transfer in emunand ? it is told to install on SD in the tuto , and SD is the default set in FBI
And before I fromat emunand, should i save my SD folder "Nintendo 3DS" on computer, and then putting it back with the "Root of mSD" after formatting ? I didn't do that before.

Looks like I left a part out one one of the recent replys. Before you format your emunand again, make a backup of the mSD to your computer. After you format copy everything back over & you should be good to go.
As long as you backup the msd before the reformat, you don't need to revisit the 'root of msd' folder from the pack again.

Makilili

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You were right, I saved my mSD before formatting and then put back the content after formatting, and I have DevMenu on Emunand. Thank you very much for your long help

Reactions: usernametaken

sky007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I need help here. My N3ds sysnand is 9.0.0-20U.
Followed instruction all the way to the end. From NDS profile, I see the Rei splash screen, then "Press Start to boot", the both screen go black, nothing happen.
I noticed the NAND size which back up from Paste is much smaller than the one backup from gateway, it is 1.2GB. Another is 1.9 GB.
Does my emunand create wrong?

usernametaken

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help here. My N3ds sysnand is 9.0.0-20U.
Followed instruction all the way to the end. From NDS profile, I see the Rei splash screen, then "Press Start to boot", the both screen go black, nothing happen.
I noticed the NAND size which back up from Paste is much smaller than the one backup from gateway, it is 1.2GB. Another is 1.9 GB.
Does my emunand create wrong?

Nand backups should always be 1.21GB.
Try booting into Reinand again, booting emunand doesn't work 100% of the time.
If that doesn't work make sure you have all of the files from Reinand onto your mSD. Files should look like the images here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-setting-up-reinand-cfw-from-scratch.394806/page-2#post-5613811

sky007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Nand backups should always be 1.21GB.
Try booting into Reinand again, booting emunand doesn't work 100% of the time.
If that doesn't work make sure you have all of the files from Reinand onto your mSD. Files should look like the images here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-setting-up-reinand-cfw-from-scratch.394806/page-2#post-5613811

Yes. The NAnd backup from Paste is 1.21GB. Also checked folders and files, still black screen after see Reinand splash screen.
It boot into a black lower screen, with a black upper with the logo Reinand - 'Press start'. After press start, screen go to black.
Any suggestion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo