Homebrew [Tutorial] How to make BGM.bcstm files for 3DS Themes

Slateportguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've had some problems with the WAV files when I tried to loop some songs. I actually used a 16 bit 44.1K WAV file and it failed; when the window for BTRSM import popped up, I was stuck with a 9 second track.

It was not until I converted the original MP3 to a WAV file with specific requirements such as 141 kb/s and most importantly I changed from 44.1K to 48K. Ran flawlessly from then on.

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone tell me what's wrong with my bgm it'll play to the end but once it's at the end it'll keep making the same sound over and over until it loops back to the beginning. if u need the file pm me and i'll upload it to mega. Thanks

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Now if someone could just write a script to turn an Mp3 into just that file to save lazy people like me the time and energy.
The BSTRM Converter is now called Looping Audio converter, and can turn any wav, mp3, flac, etc into a BCSTM directly! :D No need for that secondary conversion tool anymore. :)

gryz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I use a song (in wav format) and go through BB and BRSTM2BCSTM, it works perfect. The problem is that songs under at least 30 seconds double to twice their size as a brstm and loop, even though I unselected loop. I don't want them to loop, as they are just fanfare. But they keep looping until the new timespan is over. Any way to fix this and not have these short files loop? For example, I start with a 3 second wav file. I DON'T loop it in BrawlBox, then I use BRSTM2BCSTM. However, the new bcstm file is now 12 seconds long and it loops! I just want the 3 seconds without looping it.

gryz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help me on how to make a non-looping BCSTM file? Like the short ones on brawl custom music. Those ones don't loop... How do they do that? I've been using this program for a while, and I still can't figure out why my file always comes out as a looping BCSTM. Can I just hex-edit it manually to achieve the non-looping effect? If so, please tell me how to do that!

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every day we see people who ask questions in the Tutorial section...
But I've never seen someone who posts a Tutorial in the questions section. [It might as well be such seeing the content here nowadays, no offense devs]

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanna know how to make a loop, I can't figure it out since this tutorial is so outdated.
I personally do all my converting with YATA+ (other than MP3 to WAV)
Within YATA+ there's a converter which lets you go right from WAV to bcstm and add a loop during the process, which is quite simple once you see the UI

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally do all my converting with YATA+ (other than MP3 to WAV)
Within YATA+ there's a converter which lets you go right from WAV to bcstm and add a loop during the process, which is quite simple once you see the UI
Thanks, this helps tremendously.

Reactions: Ricken

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Do you know of any .bcstm music players for computer? I'm ROM hacking FE13 and trying to figure out what song is which is a NIGHTMARE, so I'm wondering if there's a program you know of that can play these files. I can't find one, but I figured I might as well ask.

Ricken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know of any .bcstm music players for computer? I'm ROM hacking FE13 and trying to figure out what song is which is a NIGHTMARE, so I'm wondering if there's a program you know of that can play these files. I can't find one, but I figured I might as well ask.
You would probably be best making a jenky body_LZ for Usagi, and renaming each music file to bgm.bcstm then running the body_LZ in Usagi

Or you could do this on a missive scale by seeing how many .bcstms there all, making a folder, then making numbered subfolders to match the amount of bcstms there are, in each one put any body_LZ, then put a different bcstm in each of the folders, renaming (to bgm.bcstm) as you open them, then naming each subfolder after testing so you can easily find them later

Will likely take a while, but so does A9LH :P

Dylan the Tactician

Trophies
Website
plus.google.com
XP
Country
United States
You would probably be best making a jenky body_LZ for Usagi, and renaming each music file to bgm.bcstm then running the body_LZ in Usagi

Or you could do this on a missive scale by seeing how many .bcstms there all, making a folder, then making numbered subfolders to match the amount of bcstms there are, in each one put any body_LZ, then put a different bcstm in each of the folders, renaming (to bgm.bcstm) as you open them, then naming each subfolder after testing so you can easily find them later

Will likely take a while, but so does A9LH :P
Is this "Usagi" a program that I haven't heard of?
Or are you referring to the character in FE14?
And, there's a LOT OF THEM. AT LEAST 50.

Ricken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this "Usagi" a program that I haven't heard of?
Or are you referring to the character in FE14?
And, there's a LOT OF THEM. AT LEAST 50.
Usagi is a 3DS custom theme maker... but it can play "bgm.bcstm" files along with themes (body_LZ.bin)
Unless there is a program that simply plays bcstm files I haven't heard of :P

Patty60205

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
Hello gbatemp this is a simple tut for those who are stuck or don't know where to begin.

Question- Im not hearing anything what did I do wrong?
Answer - Make sure you have Background Music checked for your theme in the Theme Editor.

Hi First I would like to thank the op for making a tutorial!! I want to report what seems to be a be a bug for Yata+ Version 1.8
I couldnt find the flag "enable BGM" at first, even though I scrolled to the very bottom of theme settings. However, when I enlarged the window, "enable BGM" appears at the very bottom.

Hope this helps with ppl struggling to find where "enable BGM" is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night