Homebrew [Tutorial] How to make BGM.bcstm files for 3DS Themes

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to jump in here, but Im having some problems. Ive finished making my first theme but when it's
copying from extdat to SD it keeps saying BGM data transfer failure.

I used the free Sonic Boom theme as a base, and when I go back to the HOME menu, it looks like how I want it,
but the music is the same as the default Sonic Boom theme, which is both annoying and mismatched with my theme.

The BCSTM file is 2.30MB.

Any ideas? Gonna try messing around with it a bit more.

EDIT: Just tried using a BCSTM from a theme I found online, and it's giving me the exact same error.

EDIT 2: I tried using a different theme as a base, and it seemed to work. Guess my Sonic theme is broken or something?

Last edited by Tex_McBladeSword,

Derverd

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry to jump in here, but Im having some problems. Ive finished making my first theme but when it's

I used the free Sonic Boom theme as a base, and when I go back to the HOME menu, it looks like how I want it,
but the music is the same as the default Sonic Boom theme, which is both annoying and mismatched with my theme.

EDIT: Just tried using a BCSTM from a theme I found online, and it's giving me the exact same error.

EDIT 2: I tried using a different theme as a base, and it seemed to work. Guess my Sonic theme is broken or something?
What did you use as a base? I've tried all the default ones and all the free ones and nothing works, it either only does the image or doesnt even work at all requiring me to take out my sd card so I can boot to the menu

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using Sonic Boom, then I switched to the Default Black skin. I noticed that whenever I copied the BGM data, it would only work the first time.

IE: After I got it working, I tried to recopy the music after I trimmed it a bit, and it failed until I then switched to the default Red theme

Lital

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Somehow I got away with using a wav at 19000 Hz and not having any garbling. Happy days.

Anyone else get driven crazy when their 22050 Hz wav ends up compressing to brstm like 3 kbs too large?

Reactions: Ricken

CocoTheFilly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got an audio track that's ~1:40 and I can't get it under the limit no matter what bitrate I use it always comes out at 8.30mb, what can I do?

EDIT: woops I know what I did wrong, didn't know I had to check the other option in the volume options menu, got it now

Last edited by CocoTheFilly,

zetterburn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having troubling being able to loop music, as well as searching how to make simple sound effects. I'm working on the following theme:
CbO2ZJn.png

I would like a shine blip sound for each time the cursor is moved (1 second exactly, approx 125KB) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1xlt5vvf0nuco7/sfx.wav?dl=0

I would also like this song looped exactly from start to end (22 sec exactly, approx 2.86MB) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk84reuvzljr71l/menutheme.wav?dl=0

I can make the bcstm file for menu just fine, but looping them just hasn't been working out for me.

_DsD_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I just got my song playing and for some reason it doesn't loop even though I enabled it. can you tell me what's wrong?

RikuKawai

Femboy Enjoyer
Trophies
Website
thisis.moe
XP
Country
Canada
MP3 in general sounds like garbage. Try to compare a 64 kbps MP3 to a 64 kbps Ogg Vorbis.

Anyway, I'm making my theme and the music is at 32000 Hz which is harder to distinguish from a 44100 Hz file and it works fine.
It's actually impossible to distinguish from 44.1khz on a 3DS.
The maximum sampling rate of the DSP in the 3DS is 32768Hz.

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey, i having a problem with the song...
In my 3DS, The song is corrupted!!!
Spend a few seconds ... and start to freeze the theme with another!, and spend other seconds, and back normally my song... (and looped)
My Song (BCSTM -> BIN) 2.37MB
So, any fix?

Last edited by Alex4U,

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm having troubling being able to loop music, as well as searching how to make simple sound effects. I'm working on the following theme:
CbO2ZJn.png

I would like a shine blip sound for each time the cursor is moved (1 second exactly, approx 125KB) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1xlt5vvf0nuco7/sfx.wav?dl=0

I would also like this song looped exactly from start to end (22 sec exactly, approx 2.86MB) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk84reuvzljr71l/menutheme.wav?dl=0

I can make the bcstm file for menu just fine, but looping them just hasn't been working out for me.

Try to use BrawlBox to loop the song, and use BRSTM2BCSTM and test it. (remember to change bcstm to bin!!!!)
idk, but the SFX cant change...

Last edited by Alex4U,

Alex4U

i like pancakes
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico

Try to download last extdatatool...
When you trying change the music...
Do you changed BCSTM to BIN?
Do you enabled cache theme in extdatatool?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.