Homebrew [Tutorial] How to make BGM.bcstm files for 3DS Themes

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I'll take a look at whatever the right file is. And if it's too big like that other one then lowering the quality is the only way to make it smaller, aside from cutting it up.

I should also mention that the song you did give me was already slow sounding. I thought it sounded odd but figured it was either like that to start with or it happened when you were converting to .wav somehow.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm. I can't seem to get it to convert without the crackling. brawlcustommusic.com's domain seems to have expired and EFE creates bcstm files that are waaaay too big*. Doing it the other way (wav->brstm->bcstm) results in the popping noises for this song. I don't have this issue with my themes though.

I'll keep poking around and see if I can fix that but no promises.

*They're actually just the same size as the .wav. Which is really not ideal.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

rockthetemp123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks so much for doing this finally got it working but now I have a problem, after restarting the theme goes back to the default white one you got any ideas about this?

Fulcaire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Got it working fine for me just one minor issue; It keeps looping on the 3DS when it ends when I don't want it to loop. I made sure NOT to check the box next to Loop and I've even tried alternative ways such as unchecking the other Loop box and also undoing the "Loop from beginning to end."
Still plays it in a loop.. any suggestions?

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't looked into bcstm creation since the beginning of February but I used to have the opposite issue where the song never looped. Once I got it working, I never bothered looking at it again. (Sysnand still has my badly looped music playing lol) I can take a look and see if I can get it to not loop though.

Alright. I can get it to not loop on my end.
I used BRSTM Converter C#.exe with BRSTM (Wii) as output and Looping (defaults) set to Don't loop.
Then ran it through BRSTM2BCSTM.exe
The original file was a .wav

If you can't get it to work, send me the file in a PM or something and I'll take a look.

Reactions: Fulcaire

Fulcaire

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't looked into bcstm creation since the beginning of February but I used to have the opposite issue where the song never looped. Once I got it working, I never bothered looking at it again. (Sysnand still has my badly looped music playing lol) I can take a look and see if I can get it to not loop though.

Alright. I can get it to not loop on my end.
I used BRSTM Converter C#.exe with BRSTM (Wii) as output and Looping (defaults) set to Don't loop.
Then ran it through BRSTM2BCSTM.exe
The original file was a .wav

If you can't get it to work, send me the file in a PM or something and I'll take a look.

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, it is still looping and I can't get it to not loop.. :( I'll be pming you a link to the .wav and let you see if you can get it to not loop.

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the maximum length of the .wav we can use?
there's is not a size limit on the wav but the bcstm cannot be more than 3.3mb

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How do i give ouput file more volume
increase the quality of the wav but be careful not to go over the 3.3mb bcstm limit

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does the quality have to do with how loud it is? Just turn up the volume (increase the gain by a bit) in whatever program you used to create the .wav.
its been a while since i've used this to make any themes and if memory serves me correct increasing the khz made the sounds crisper and louder but this also depends on the source.

Hashtastrophe

Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
its been a while since i've used this to make any themes and if memory serves me correct increasing the khz made the sounds crisper and louder but this also depends on the source.
Increasing it won't do much except add to the file size. (see here for why). Only way to get higher quality is to rerecord or recreate it.
If you just want it louder, increase the track's gain by a little bit. Be careful not to introduce (more) sound clipping though.

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Increasing it won't do much except add to the file size. (see here for why). Only way to get higher quality is to rerecord or recreate it.
If you just want it louder, increase the track's gain by a little bit. Be careful not to introduce (more) sound clipping though.
its been months since i've made any themes I usually use flac rips as my source hence the reason for dbpoweramp

Reactions: Hashtastrophe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: