Homebrew [Tutorial] How to install 2.5 on themehax manually.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The new themehax installer 2.0 is out now! Click here to get it.

This tutorial will become inert once Yellows8 makes his themehax installer work with 2.5, but for now here is how you can get 2.5 working through themehax manually. Also this tutorial is changing overtime to help better reflect what has worked and what hasn't, so keep that in mind.

1. First you must go to Smea's 3DS site here and download the new starterkit and boot.3dsx (If you can't find it, here is the link) and your system ropbin payload which you can get by inputting your system update, region and 3DS type.

hDP0n9C.png

Make sure you select the "Download ropbin" and NOT "Download otherapp". If you don't know your version and region you can check in the system settings app on your console as shown here:

4UkCntJ.png

2. Next, you'll need to extract the contents of the starterkit.zip, placing it into the root of your SD card.(You can use WinZip/WinRar of similar for this) Don't worry about your 3ds folder; it won't overwrite the custom apps you have installed, but best to be on the safe side and backup just in case.

3. Now rename your 2.5 payload to "menuhax_ropbinpayload.bin". Once you've done that, delete the original menuhax payload in the root of your SD card and place replace it with this one. It seems that deleting the original first does better than overwriting it. Your setup should look like this:

wrJnMUA.png

4. Boot up themehax. (Press the power button then
IMMEDIATELY hold down L until the top screen shows static) To check if you're on 2.5, try shutting the lid and opening it again. If it didn't freeze (black screen) that's an indication you now have 2.5 installed! Congratulations!

If the above method doesn't work and it freezes on bootup, try accessing an app like Music Player on the home menu, press the power button and wait until the shutdown screen appears. Then press the home button and IMMEDIATELY hold down L afterwards. This works for some n3DS users.

If for whatever reason you don't have themehax installed or uninstalled it, you can still get it back at this time by using the offline installer. Keep in mind that you'll need a second hax to install this and you must use the DEFAULT WHITE THEME. Also keep in mind that this offline installer installs 2.1 only, will overwrite 2.5 if you placed it before you install themehax, and is intended as a way to re-install themehax to usable condition for upgrading with the instructions above.

Here is the offline installer.

Looking for an offline self-config installer? Here you go. Click here for instructions on how to install and use autoboot.

For those of you attempting to install themehax through browserhax, refer to this post. (o3DS under 9.9 compatible only)

Things this tutorial probably needs:
  • A video explaining the steps here.
Thanks to:
@enhasa For linking an offline installer to use.
@DeathChaos25 for helping users trying to install themehax via browserhax.
@code640 for screenshots to demonstrate.
@Jocaru for alternate boot method.
@Cornholio309 For linking to an offline self-config installer.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

MrCheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I correct in assuming that this only works if themehax is previously installed, and that it's impossible to install from scratch on 2.5 for now?

EDIT: Seems installing Themehax from Ninjhax 2.5 is impossible, but installing Themehax from Webkithax works fine.

Last edited by MrCheeze,

vhaines

Trophies
XP
Country
i have the old auto boot themehax on my old starter kit on my 10.1.0 27-j will that work?
and btw, is there a possible way for 2.5 hax to change the language of my 3ds jap to english or vice versa?

enhasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That never worked for me for whatever reason. This is what I had to do:

Scroll down and download the otherapp file for your firmware version: The Homebrew Launcher - 3DS
For 9.9.0.26U you would rename N3DS_U_20480_usa_9221.bin -> ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA20480_new3ds.bin
Place in the root of your SD card

Or just download this offline installer which has the otherapps folder: Themehax_Installer_offline_v1.2-1.zip which is much easier

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If themehax has been uninstalled, at this time the only way to re-install it is by grabbing the offline installer and using another hax entrypoint to install it.

Here is the offline installer: https://t.co/3oAwnrleZo

@vhaines You should be able to install it in this fashion. Also I am not sure about the language settings atm.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That never worked for me for whatever reason. This is what I had to do:

Scroll down and download the otherapp file for your firmware version: The Homebrew Launcher - 3DS
For 9.9.0.26U you would rename N3DS_U_20480_usa_9221.bin -> ropbinpayload_menuhax_USA20480_new3ds.bin
Place in the root of your SD card

Or just download this offline installer which has the otherapps folder: Themehax_Installer_offline_v1.2-1.zip which is much easier
OP, should quote @enhasa post into the OP. Basically, renaming the ninjhax 2.5 ropbin payload with whatever name of the bin that previous themehax generated.

Here is the unofficial offline 1.3 themehax https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-homemenuhax.398124/page-23#post-5717329 ( Has option to configure auto boot or trigger boot)

Last edited by tivu100,

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
why whenever i launch an app the screen goes black?

Are you sure it's on 2.5 and not 2.1? It should have a green screen when it loads. As for the apps going black, I am unsure as this method is working fine for my o3DS and I haven't run into any problems with the apps.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why whenever i launch an app the screen goes black?
Which app? Some homebrew apps break with new ninjhax 2.5 so you need to wait for the apps to be updated.

If you meant Homebrew Launcher, please provide more info like your model of 3DS, firmware, region, which kind of hax...?

Last edited by tivu100,

Brawl9977

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
brawl9977.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure it's on 2.5 and not 2.1? It should have a green screen when it loads. As for the apps going black, I am unsure as this method is working fine for my o3DS and I haven't run into any problems with the apps.
it was on 2.1 thanks :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Which app? Some homebrew apps break with new ninjhax 2.5 so you need to wait for the apps to be updated.

If you meany Homebrew Launcher, please provide more info like your model of 3DS, firmware, region, which kind of hax...?
it was on 2.1 thanks :)
it was eshop and hans but it's working now. i was on 2.1 apparently.

BhenBen_85

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi i am new to 3DS hack thing, I have N3DS XL Running on 10.2 FW and I dont have IronFall games, but what to try some homebrew on my 3DS , can i Install this theme hax from scratch or do I need a previously installed themehax? and if i have themehax , can i play direct .3ds or .cia files inside my memory card? and if i use for example a region free and i have a US game and wanted to play it on EU console can i install update of that game and the us cartridge will read the update or no? sorry i have a lot of question and sorry for my bad English.

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi i am new to 3DS hack thing, I have N3DS XL Running on 10.2 FW and I dont have IronFall games, but what to try some homebrew on my 3DS , can i Install this theme hax from scratch or do I need a previously installed themehax? and if i have themehax , can i play direct .3ds or .cia files inside my memory card? and if i use for example a region free and i have a US game and wanted to play it on EU console can i install update of that game and the us cartridge will read the update or no? sorry i have a lot of question and sorry for my bad English.

In your case you can only use Cubic Ninja and Ocarina of Time 3D. (Which requires a hax to install in the first place to run) Themehax as far as I'm aware isn't usable on 10.2, so unless you have one of the above-mentioned you're stuck for the time being.

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
when i use offlline instaler it installs themhax 2.1 and not 2.5 can you fix that

The offline installer is only intended to just install themehax if you haven't got it already as the online version errors trying to install it. That being said you *could* put your ropbin payload into the "otherapp" folder inside the installer folder. That may allow you to install the 2.5 version, otherwise just follow the instructions here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs