[Tutorial] ANOTHER Magnetic Reed Switch RCM Installation

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by gallymimu, May 27, 2018.

1. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    [TUTORIAL] [MOD] RCM mode with just a magnet (maghax). No visible changes to the Switch or Joycon!!! v1.7 2018-06-28

Please post any improvements or clarifications you'd like to see. If this passes muster, Mods can move it to the tutorials forum if appropriate.
    changelog
    -----------------------------------
    This should be a pretty solid method for installing a MAGNETIC REED RELAY into your Right Joycon. the purpose is to have a cosmetically PERFECT Switch, with the ability to launch RCM with almost no effort. You just need to have a strong magnet to hold near the bottom right corner of the right joycon while you press power and volume + when booting. There are no known side affects of this method. i.e. you can still charge, use the joycon or switch normally. It's essentially stock when there is no magnet nearby and should last forever with no risk (after installation). I'd not send it in for warranty repair with the reed switch installed though :). This is a MUCH better option than a jig if you don't mind some soldering

The tutorial requires MODEST disassembly and soldering skill.

I'm not saying my approach and tutorial is any better than what other's have done (and posted). They certainly deserve credit. However, this is what I did and I think it's the best approach. I had previously posted a PSA about "why jigs are a bad idea" as I don't agree with them generally. So here is an explanation (for the reasonably skilled solderer) to do a magnetic reed switch the way I did it.

Note that much of the tutorial text is IN the spoilers with the pictures. Don't miss it. It is always at the top above the picture. I elected to keep this pretty visual rather than text, but happy to add more if people want more detail.

It is advisable to disconnect the joycon battery before starting to solder. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did the mod. So there isn't a picture of it.

Tools to get started
    I didn't include info on how to open the case beyond showing the triwing screwdriver. There are better tutorials on opening the joycon VIDEO and TEXT
    Reed switch used
    Wire lengths
    Bent reed switch
    Added wires to reed switch
    Visual length of heat shrink
    Shrunk reed switch
    Remove the foam
    Solder Points
    Soldered in
    Reed switch put in place in the casing
    REPLACE THE FOAM
    If it isn't obvious, the way you know you did it right are with the below two tests, with and without magnet, and what you should see on the screen. Speaking of Magnets: I'd consider using a 1/4" or larger rare earth or "neodymium magnet" They come in different grades N35 N42 N50 etc. The higher the number the stronger. Any of them should work. The dark brown or black "ceramic" magnets work but they are not as strong so you might consider a larger size (maybe 1/2"??). Ebay has tons of them, Harbor Freight has rare earth magnets and magnetic grabber tools. Buymagnets.com is also an option but shipping might kill it.
    Demo no magnet
    Demo Magnet

Here is a nice discussion of specific wire lengths and soldering technique as well as a way to use the kickstand to store the magnet [Post 84]

Attached Files:

Last edited by gallymimu, Jun 29, 2018
    P4RI4H, 877, astrocapsule and 23 others like this.
  2. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Reserved

3. MrWhosHacking

MrWhosHacking GBAtemp Regular

May 3, 2018
    United States

I really like that. Well done and I have one with a tiny flip switch and I can still charge it

4. SodaSoba

SodaSoba GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    Decent, what size was the reed switch?
    any other places we can solder (pcb?)
    any risks of soldering where you did over doing the PCB?

I think this is the wat forward for sure it's neater and less risk to those pins

5. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Good point, I should make a note that the switch is fully functional, joycon can be charged (as long as magnet is not nearby)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's 1.8mm x 10mm (body of the reed switch). Other places, maybe, I didn't look and didn't want to further disassemble the joycon to examine the PCB. I suspect that there isn't a lot of other space beyond that pocket for the wires.

I don't quite follow what you mean by "overdoing" but if you mean hurting the flex, or thermally damaging it. It isn't TOO risky. The flex is made of polyimide (kapton). It can handle a lot of heat. It is more delicate than normal PCBs and the first failure will be delamination of the copper from the polyimide. If you keep the iron on the pins too long you could have some issues, or damage the mating components. I'd avoid heating it for more than about 10 seconds at 700F

SodaSoba likes this.
  6. baretbh

baretbh GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2018
    Mexico
    BC, Mexico
    I think this is really creative and awesome way to get into rcm. My only concern and question is that overtime, will there be any negative side effects to the hardware? Thanks for posting this! Great idea!

7. SodaSoba

SodaSoba GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    ah ok that was my only concern I've soldered loads of pcbs including smd soldering but I've never soldered that type of flex before, plent of flux will help i guess.
    Awesome mod tho

8. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I added a note about side effects. There is NO side effect or potential problems for the hardware. The only risks are.

1). Damage when opening the joycon (clumsy)
    2). Soldering (overheating or melting plastic could certainly happen).

Otherwise the mod should last forever. It is MUCH safer than a jig from the perspective of long term life after install.

9. baretbh

baretbh GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2018
    Mexico
    BC, Mexico
    Very awesome! I wonder if people will start selling these on ebay, I think their will be a market for them especially for later firmware Switch owners.

RealSpyKitty likes this.
  10. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    You really shouldn't need flux. It isn't THAT tight and there is generous solder on the pins already. No clean flux won't hurt anything though, but it's a spot that would be hard to clean the flux up afterwards. I didn't use any flux in the mod. As I said the flex isn't TOO delicate, but it is definitely MORE delicate than most PCBs.

certainly. You could easily sell a kit with shrink tube, reed switch, two pieces of wire and a triwing for for $5 or $10. Or you could just sell the reed switch, first class mail (in the US) for a couple bucks including shipping. I wouldn't want to do it though. I wouldn't make any money hahahaha.

11. SodaSoba

SodaSoba GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I'll be attempting this once my reed switch arrives thanks

12. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Awesome. Let me know if you need help, OR if you learn something that should go in the tutorial!

13. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Interesting how my joy-con works no matter if the pin 10 is grounded or not.

14. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Did you solder to same points? Is your joycon firmware the same? Those are the only 2 variables I can think of.

15. baretbh

baretbh GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2018
    Mexico
    BC, Mexico
    Yea just the parts by themselves wouldn't sell well but put together as a product would be cool. Not sure how Nintendo would react though

16. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    Yes, I have pin 9 and 10 soldered together.
    I have done a test to prove that it depends on joy-con fw, but it failed :D . I had mine joy-con on lowest fw possible (from 1.0.0 console) and it worked. Then I updated it on my 5.x switch and it is still detected (on both consoles).

17. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    use pin 1 and 10, not 9 and 10. 9 is not a ground and it doesn't always work for people. Let us know if that fixes it.

18. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Hmm, it's very weird how this disconnected issue only happens to some people and not others.

19. Kubas_inko

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    If that fixes what? My joy-con is fully working lol.

I know. That's why I've done the test. I thought it is FW related...

20. gallymimu
    OP

gallymimu EE Expert

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Sorry Kubas, I thought you were having problems, I misread.