Hacking [Tutorial] 4.5 SysNAND + 4.5 CFW + 9.4 EmuNAND without Gateway

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I followed the CFW tutorial but I'm having an issue where when I go to boot into the CFW, the bottom screen doesn't flash (first two tries it did, but never booted into the CFW) I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried the steps over and over again and still no luck. Any help would be highly appreciated.

im guessing you are holding L all the way through after you press ds profile. what i did was i release L as soon as i touch ds profile

Aardvark Barber

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just dropping by here to say thanks! Installed this without incident on an OG 3DS as well as a 3DSXL now. Great guide.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh this is getting so frustrating im almost there but i still keep getting the same error over and over
if it matters i do have an r4i gold deluxe so if there is a workaround for that any input would be appreciated.
also not sure if this matters but i am running a switch. 192.168.1.1 is my main router connected to the modem and 192.168.1.4 is connected tomy switch

azeUxBf.png

Jak27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
For those of you who keep on getting the failed to connect error, or simply can't get the CFW to work at all, I found that the best solution was to simply redo the whole process again (reformat emuNAND, extract it, create redNAND, and inject it back)on the same sd card. I did it with my original 3ds and got it to work, and then with a freind's 3ds XL which was stuck at the failed to connect problem and once again worked like a charm.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you who keep on getting the failed to connect error, or simply can't get the CFW to work at all, I found that the best solution was to simply redo the whole process again (reformat emuNAND, extract it, create redNAND, and inject it back)on the same sd card. I did it with my original 3ds and got it to work, and then with a freind's 3ds XL which was stuck at the failed to connect problem and once again worked like a charm.

i started all over again and it still doesnt work. i dont know if it matters but i dont hold L all the way through like the video did cuz it doesnt work if i do. instead i let go as soon as i hit ds profile and that works. what i also noticed is that in the browser i dont get a top blue screen and bottom grey screen like the video does. SIGH

EDIT: also i would like to know if opening ctrclient.exe is supposed to do anything. i say this because on another computer i try to open the run.bat or installcia.bat files but it wouldn't open until i installed visual C++. is there a prerequisite for ctrclient.exe to work? atm it just opens a batch window and closes right away

Reactions: IdahoNate153

Jak27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i started all over again and it still doesnt work. i dont know if it matters but i dont hold L all the way through like the video did cuz it doesnt work if i do. instead i let go as soon as i hit ds profile and that works. what i also noticed is that in the browser i dont get a top blue screen and bottom grey screen like the video does. SIGH

EDIT: also i would like to know if opening ctrclient.exe is supposed to do anything. i say this because on another computer i try to open the run.bat or installcia.bat files but it wouldn't open until i installed visual C++. is there a prerequisite for ctrclient.exe to work? atm it just opens a batch window and closes right away

Well whenever i open ctrclient.exe it just opens and closes like what happens to you, so I don't think that's the problem. It might have to do with how you press L, since if you don't press L coreectly, the CFW would just launch in regular mode instead of server mode, which of course means that ctrclient won't be able to connect to your 3ds. I pressed L all the way until I saw that the CFW launched, and that's how it worked for me. I suggest you try to get it to launch without letting go of L until you're returned to the home menu.

Edit: I recommend patience while trying this, since the CFW is still very buggy and difficult to launch properly, so even if you think it's not working when you press L all the way, you might just need to give it a few more tries.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well whenever i open ctrclient.exe it just opens and closes like what happens to you, so I don't think that's the problem. It might have to do with how you press L, since if you don't press L coreectly, the CFW would just launch in regular mode instead of server mode, which of course means that ctrclient won't be able to connect to your 3ds. I pressed L all the way until I saw that the CFW launched, and that's how it worked for me. I suggest you try to get it to launch without letting go of L until you're returned to the home menu.

Edit: I recommend patience while trying this, since the CFW is still very buggy and difficult to launch properly, so even if you think it's not working when you press L all the way, you might just need to give it a few more tries.

i tried it about 10 times holding L all the way through. no go :(

Jak27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm that's very strange.... Have you at least gotten a white screen on the bottom screen?

Edit: Also make sure you try pressing L at the same time as when you tap on the DS profile button, it was the most consistent method for launching the CFW successfully for me.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sigh this is getting so frustrating im almost there but i still keep getting the same error over and over
if it matters i do have an r4i gold deluxe so if there is a workaround for that any input would be appreciated.
also not sure if this matters but i am running a switch. 192.168.1.1 is my main router connected to the modem and 192.168.1.4 is connected tomy switch

azeUxBf.png

If that is windows 8, try windows 7. that was my solution. worked fine first try on win7. fails EVERY time on win 8.

Savior-X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problems connecting here on win8.1.
Try to open the web browser after you successfully run the ds profile exploit with L (hold L until it boots back home!) and goto any website while you're trying to install devmenu.
I'm using Launcher_GW.dat renamed as Launcher.dat

EDIT: I got better luck with a 4GB SD. 32GB was 10 times+ and nothing..

hainami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just for curiosity sake.
Would I be able to use this method to do a system transfer to a N3DS, without losing homebrew capabilities?
I don't want to buy a gateway because I don't support or want to pirate, but I think it would be neat to keep my old 3DS around for any possible emulators or cool homebrew apps.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but a lot of this is really overwhelming and I wanted to make sure my goal was possible or not before I try to wrap my head around it all.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried it about 10 times holding L all the way through. no go :(

Holding it all the way through will almost NEVER successfully boot it. You have to release it more or less immediately after the top screen changes color. Timing is difficult, and even if you get the timing right, it may not always work consistently - it's my understanding that it works better with some types of SD cards than others. For mine, i can get a successful boot around 4 out of every 5 times with a SanDisk 64gb microSD thrown into an SD adapter. Also I've found it works better if you sit in your system menu for a little bit before going to your settings menu.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
my system nand is on 4.3, Can I still use this tutorial or do i have toi be on 4.5?

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that is windows 8, try windows 7. that was my solution. worked fine first try on win7. fails EVERY time on win 8.

it's windows 7 btw

Holding it all the way through will almost NEVER successfully boot it. You have to release it more or less immediately after the top screen changes color. Timing is difficult, and even if you get the timing right, it may not always work consistently - it's my understanding that it works better with some types of SD cards than others. For mine, i can get a successful boot around 4 out of every 5 times with a SanDisk 64gb microSD thrown into an SD adapter. Also I've found it works better if you sit in your system menu for a little bit before going to your settings menu.

getting cfw to run is no problem for me, i just let go of L as soon as i hit ds profile. the real problem for me is getting the run.bat to not fail

jeppad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nice Tutorial, but how big can the "internal" sd card be?

32Gb or 64gb for emunand and a lot of cia?

He4TS3eKeR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay so I i have a couple of questions before I decide to invest money into this.
1. I currently have 1 SD card with 2GB of storage. I keep reading that I need at least 4GB, so my first question is do I need to buy 2 SD cards of at least 4GB each? Will a microSD card with an SD adapter work? Also you don't really have to answer this, but, between Sandisk, Verbatim and Transcend which one is the best? By far the cheapest option seems to be a microSD with an SD adapter.
2. I'm currently on version 4.1.0-8E with an Acekard 2i which supports up to 4.2-4.3 I think. Will I be able to install install this CFW with it?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Okay so I i have a couple of questions before I decide to invest money into this.
1. I currently have 1 SD card with 2GB of storage. I keep reading that I need at least 4GB, so my first question is do I need to buy 2 SD cards of at least 4GB each? Will a microSD card with an SD adapter work? Also you don't really have to answer this, but, between Sandisk, Verbatim and Transcend which one is the best? By far the cheapest option seems to be a microSD with an SD adapter.
2. I'm currently on version 4.1.0-8E with an Acekard 2i which supports up to 4.2-4.3 I think. Will I be able to install install this CFW with it?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

For the cfw I bought a 32 GB QMox SD on ebay. Great quality-price ratio imho.

Micro SD are fine with a good card and a good adapter. If one is too cheap, you'll have problems. With both too cheap... good luck! :)

For the emunand, if you don't use the Gateway card, i think 4GB is good at the moment. With the 9.5 update there are compatibility problems, so you will not buy too much things from eshop. No need for too much space. If in the future these problems will be solved, you coild migrate your emunand on a bigger SD. But I don't thik it will be soon.

With a 32 GB card you can also have both CFW and emunand (launched with the MT launcher) on the same SD. Serach the forum for this.

He4TS3eKeR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks mate, but the most important thing I need to know is, can I do all this with an Acekard 2i and 4.1 FW?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aRVjiaM88Y