Hacking [Tutorial] 4.5 SysNAND + 4.5 CFW + 9.4 EmuNAND without Gateway

jarmster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
after installimng devmenu and bbm, i tried loading without p[ressing L but cant get it to work. pressing L gets in most times... will pressing L have any negative effects in the long run? so far cfw has been really good, but havnt tried playing online or anything yet

Holding L is to set up the network install of the devmenu The 3ds will freeze before you can do anything else. I'm surprised your able to do anything. Booting the CFW without holding any button is the normal boot method for the cfw.

Arcane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have two SD cards: One has BigBlueMenu installed and a test cia, and one I'm trying to get emuNand working on. I want to get to my eshop games.

I'm doing the following:

Install DS exploit
Place MT Card launcher.dat on card
Launch it
Format emuNand
boot classic
update
restart
and then MT Card's boot to classic just gives me a white screen from then on.

My goal is to have the cia installer but still be able to download the large amount of games I've actually bought.

EDIT: Okay, the problem with MT Card's stuff was that I was using 2.1 for some reason. 2.3 works fine.

Can I get BigBlueMenu over to the emunand?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to install CFW on my 3DS. I got to part where I hold L and select profile. The bottom screen does flash white, but top screen stays light blue and nothing happens... What do I do? Thoughts appreciated :)

reading your newer posts it looks like you fixed this issue. How did you do it?

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang seriously? I rebooted the dang that 10 times and it froze with a light blue screen on the top every time

It seems to be a combination of timing of letting go of the L button and what type of SD card you're using. I can get my 64gb microSDXC to boot successfully far more often than my 32gb one...also first boot seems to take far more attempts (or at least did for me) than accessing it afterwards does.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The torture continues today. Managed to get the cfw to boot twice yesterday but refused to boot a third time. Was going to attempt to get devmenu installed as well:hateit:

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Got Emunand 9.5 working... used the eshop.... but what else can i do on 9.5?

can i play a retail kart like majoras mask on emunand?

will it keep the saves or will they corrupt?

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why would you start the cfw nand at sector 2097153 instead of at sector 1953791+2? Why do you have 143362 sectors of empty space between the nands?

There are some reasons. None very strong, but that's the way I think it had to be done.

First so I have to modify only a byte with the hex editor, that helps to keep this complex tutorial a little bit more simple to understand. Consider that this tutorial is not important for it's result, but because I hope that some curious people start learning RE. If one understand the how it works, than he can place it's emunand wherever he wants.

Second, Gateway formats the emunand leaving 0x00200000 sectors of unallocated space, even if the nand images uses less than this. I only doubled this configuration (again only for simplicity).

Third, 1Gb is a good number in informatic, the size of the actual NAND not. There are two different sizes of NAND, maybe soon could there be a third that need more space (maybe it's already out, check the N3DS NAND size on 3DBrew ;) ). As an engineer, loosing some KB of space for potential scalability is always a worth price to pay. It's a professional deformation.

Reactions: CalebW

CalebW

Fellow Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some reasons. None very strong, but that's the way I think it had to be done.

First so I have to modify only a byte with the hex editor, that helps to keep this complex tutorial a little bit more simple to understand. Consider that this tutorial is not important for it's result, but because I hope that some curious people start learning RE. If one understand the how it works, than he can place it's emunand wherever he wants.

Second, Gateway formats the emunand leaving 0x00200000 sectors of unallocated space, even if the nand images uses less than this. I only doubled this configuration (again only for simplicity).

Third, 1Gb is a good number in informatic, the size of the actual NAND not. There are two different sizes of NAND, maybe soon could there be a third that need more space (maybe it's already out, check the N3DS NAND size on 3DBrew ;) ). As an engineer, loosing some KB of space for potential scalability is always a worth price to pay. It's a professional deformation.
I see, thanks for the answer. But why did you quote my post in a completely different thread?

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I see, thanks for the answer. But why did you quote my post in a completely different thread?

It was late night in Italy when I wrote, I was very tired so I checked my English whith a translator and than pasted it in the wrong trhead,

Sorry :shy: . Im goingo to paste it in the right one.

Sollux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A few questions

I have a 16 gig and two 2 gig sd cards, should I put emuNAND on the 16 gig one or?

Can I play any .cia games on the cfw or only ones that are able to play on 4.5?

Is emuNAND something I need at all? What do I need it for anyways?

Thanks to anyone that could help me out by answering :3<3

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if this will work with a 2DS? And can someone explain to me what CFW is?

Nope, and basically a firmware that has fewer restrictions than the standard firmware, or is somehow customized, in the case of the 3ds one that's being referenced in this thread, it can be used to install 3ds games directly to the system menu and launch from there. For the moment, this REQUIRES 4.xx firmware (either initially or via downgrading to it) to set up, thus a 2ds won't work (2DS won't accept a 4.xx firmware, as it's below the initial version installed on any 2DS out there).

2DSHereHey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, and basically a firmware that has fewer restrictions than the standard firmware, or is somehow customized, in the case of the 3ds one that's being referenced in this thread, it can be used to install 3ds games directly to the system menu and launch from there. For the moment, this REQUIRES 4.xx firmware (either initially or via downgrading to it) to set up, thus a 2ds won't work (2DS won't accept a 4.xx firmware, as it's below the initial version installed on any 2DS out there).

Thanks for the reply!

So the only way to play 3DS Roms on a 2DS would be using Gateway or Sky3DS? There is no free option?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, I thought you lost the other one :mellow: