PW1337

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah Optimize(Under UMD Properties) gets rid of the unnecessary data like the Update Folder and resizes other 'dummy' files. I always use optimize and all the ISOs I've compressed to CSOs worked just fine. Using Optimize is better than deleting some folders and hope for the best
tongue.gif
. Btw Optimize can only be used on ISOs, not CSOs.

Supah Eirian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Urza: If I were a PSP n00b (and I was one about 6 months ago), this tut would have been useful.
[/quote]

I just got a PSP yesterday. I am familiar with using an R4 for DS, but have no idea what I can really do with my PSP without risking bricking it. What is a CSO? Can you actually rip the UMD using the PSP?

Anyway, I should post a new topic about my options, but thought someone in this thread could help.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supah Eirian said:
[Urza: If I were a PSP n00b (and I was one about 6 months ago), this tut would have been useful.
QUOTEI just got a PSP yesterday. I am familiar with using an R4 for DS, but have no idea what I can really do with my PSP without risking bricking it. What is a CSO? Can you actually rip the UMD using the PSP?

Anyway, I should post a new topic about my options, but thought someone in this thread could help.

CSOs are compressed PSP ISO files so there easy storage. And yes you can rip UMDs using the PSP (as far as I know). In order to play CSOs you need to install CFW (Custom Firmware) using Pandora's Battery or find someone who lives around you who already has CFW installed.

D

Deleted User

One question. I converted an ISO into DAX. How do I play DAX ISOs? They don't appear under memory stick once I've put them in ms0:\ISO
cry.gif

[M]artin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
One question. I converted an ISO into DAX. How do I play DAX ISOs? They don't appear under memory stick once I've put them in ms0:\ISO
cry.gif
From what I understand, the .DAX format of playable games was used a very long time ago (on a older CFW) or something similar. Nowadays, the newer CFW's only need play .ISO's and .CSO's. Quite simply put, .DAX is very outdated and most likely not supported in newer CFW releases anymore (even though the option is still available in UMDgen).

I would recompress the ISO into a CSO and stick that in the ms0:\ISO folder instead (remember, you can reverse the conversion process if you need to recover that ISO from your DAX...).
wink.gif

EDIT: Actually just found out you need a program called "DAX ZISO Loader" if you absolutely need to run a .DAX. However, the program appears outdated and might not even work on current CFW's...
unsure.gif

B-BoyMP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Very nice Tutorial, but some time it doesn't save the CSO (problem with videos when i make dummy) so i use "CSO DAX compressor"
yaypsp.gif

KooLDiMe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Thanx for these tips Martin !!
yaypsp.gif

im kinda new with PSP (just bought it), so is there any reference that provide list of which games has a problem with this compressed format, like noticeable lag, stutter or something ?

WangerZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah...i have this problem, i have custom firmware 4.01 m33-2, and i just compressed crisis core, but it doesn't show up in my psp...i dragged it to the iso folder on my psp, but i dunno what to do

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
KooLDiMe said:
Thanx for these tips Martin !!
yaypsp.gif

im kinda new with PSP (just bought it), so is there any reference that provide list of which games has a problem with this compressed format, like noticeable lag, stutter or something ?
Games supposedly run faster on a Memory Stick, but I only know of Phantasy Star Portable not able load at all in compressed. The higher the compression, the more it takes to load. It might mess around with online play though. If you take too long.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both GTA games, Tekken DR (only barely), MK Unchained (lags BAD with even a tiny bit of compression even with 333MHz) are the only ones I can think of.

Fellow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God of War's lag isn't major, it only really lags when it needs to load another map while the player is moving.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMummy said:
is there a way to compress more than one instead of doing just one by one? like put them in a queue or something?

If you are using Windows, put this in a batch file and run it:
CODEdir /b *.iso > dir.txt
FOR /F "delims=/" %%D in (dir.txt) do ciso.exe 9 %%D "%%~nD".cso

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yea okay im not that computer literate....also whats the prefered way to format pro duo? would i be better off formatting with psp, windows, or third party formatter like panasonic is for sd cards

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMummy said:
yea okay im not that computer literate....also whats the prefered way to format pro duo? would i be better off formatting with psp, windows, or third party formatter like panasonic is for sd cards

You just open notepad and paste the text in it then select Any file for the type and save it as compressiso.bat. Then just place it in the same folder as the ISOs and ciso.exe and run it.

Having the PSP format it is the best way since it creates the folders (PSP, PSP/GAME, etc) automatically after the format. There shouldn't be any difference in the performance no matter what way you do it.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if i start an untrimmed rom, save the game, than switch the rom with a trimmed copy, will my save still work, just askin before i mess something up and somehow end up w/o a save file...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.