Smartpal

The Guitar Guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
Been out of the scene for a while so this a great help.
yay.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You're wrong....

Prometeus is a Mac ISO compression tool. There's a newer Pro Version demo but you have to keep reinstalling it after 6 uses so that's probably a better choice (you'll also need libusb).

And yes some more intensive streaming games such as the GTA titles get juddery in compressed format. Most are ok as CSO's however.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What is the recommended way to decompress an ISO from a CSO? Since it's obvious that the compression must be lossless, I've been using UMDgen to extract all the files, then recompile them into a new image using the same game ID and it seems to work fine. But I wasn't sure if there is a simpler way.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
What is the recommended way to decompress an ISO from a CSO? Since it's obvious that the compression must be lossless, I've been using UMDgen to extract all the files, then recompile them into a new image using the same game ID and it seems to work fine. But I wasn't sure if there is a simpler way.
You could just open the CSO and save it as an ISO, should work fine.

Spartan117H3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, I've seen the lag on GTA Vice City, what are you supposed to do if it lags in CSO, keep it in ISO and just delete the Boot.bin/Update and leave it uncompressed?

OtakuGamerZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought to give u a heads up. Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology will NOT load at all and will turn off the psp if it's a .cso. At least following this guide.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OtakuGamerZ read the sig and ava rules

the max you can have is 80kb combined

ie:
remove the megaman gif in your sig and you will be under the limit

rpspartin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow this looks awsome am downloading this program now
yaypsp.gif
although i was wondering how much does it usually compress. becuase i know that most of the better psp games are huge in size like ff7:cc.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just read the topic title and was like "wow, does this REALLY need a tutorial? I mean, it's so.. linear. o.o"

Not to all those wondering: Both of the GTAs WILL lag when you compress them to CSO.
And as OtakuGamerZ says: Tales of the World: RM will not run AT ALL when compressed.

@rpspartin:
The loss of size is different for every game. If two games were the same size, odds are that one would still end up being smaller than the other because of the unique files that each ISO/CSO contains. I know that Final Fantasy VII: CC doesn't get THAT much smaller, but it still helps considering how theirs very little, if any, lag at all.

@Skyline969:
Some games just don't handle well compressed like the ones mentioned above.
You can try compressing the ISO again with a lower compression level, but if it still skips a bit, than you're better leaving it off as an uncompressed ISO.
I highly doubt you got a bad rip as the majority of rips that I obtain tend to work fine. But if you believe you did, you can try downloading it again, and try compressing it at different levels.

If anyone has any other questions, I suppose this is a good place. xD

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I figured it out! If a CSO skips, there's a simple fix. It's worked for 2 CSO games that have skipped so far: Resistance Retribution and GTA Vice City Stories. Press select to get into your VSH options, and change the game CPU clock to 333/166. It's not overclocking... it's just pushing the PSP CPU to its allowed limits without overclocking.
tongue.gif
The menu CPU can be left default... it is for me anyways and I have no problems.

ediblebird

Trophies
XP
Country
I think this tutorial was a bit pointless. If you don't know how to convert a .iso to .cso why are you messing with custom firmware? I just use YACC easy as you like. Even a retarted monkey could convert an iso to a cso with YACC.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'll have you know I didn't know how to convert an ISO to a CSO before I read this tutorial. So yes, it is useful. I didn't know what programs to use, which files I could delete, or how to compress an ISO.
So Martin, don't worry about the naysayers. I appreciate you making this guide.
smile.gif

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it me, or does deleting /UPDATE and BOOT.BIN break some games under USBHost and NetHost? Me & My Katamari and Resistance: Retribution only seem work if I leave all files intact, and my Memory Stick is only 1 GB, so I can't make sure it's exclusive only to USB or Wi-Fi loading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol