Hacking Turn your Chinese M3 Real to English

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanx cory1492. I was thinking the other way around.
wacko.gif

Now everything is in English, but I have the same problem as CZroe, it freezes after the load bar completed.
frown.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Excellent. Any details? The language is English, the file name was correct (.bg5), nothing else except replacing g6dsload.bg5?

Thank you (and thanks in advance for the details
smile.gif
).

I tried it. All the animations are going extremely fast [Edit: Actually, the Chinese system software does this too. Is it just me?] and the NDS files load and then freeze showing the load progress bar complete.

[With the Chinese system software, it doesn't freeze, but it's in Chinese regardless fo this file's presence]

Is this because I put the file there without first running the system files and letting them create a file to replace? [I mean, I don't see a "g6dsload.gb5" to replace, so I assume that it would be created by the system software upon initial execution. I have tried the Chinese system software to see if it creates this and it does not. Obviously, without copying this file in the first place, I can't even boot the English system software.] I didn't want to do that in case the most recent update was capable of locking it to Chinese via software or something and I don't have access to my disc for the older version.

Oh! And the movie player option (or whatever it's called... lower left one) is still in Chinese.

[I've tried the patcher too with no success. There are three g6dsload files: *.1, *.2, and *.eng. The first two are reported as "not protected" and the third will get me an English menu, despite being a different extension than the file in this thread. However, it still locks up after selecting a game/nds file. You see the load progress and then it just hangs after the progress goes all the way.]

Ok it was doing this freezing for me too. I did something stupid, so I ended up wiping out my SYSTEM folder on my microSD and here's what you do:

Copy the bg5 chinese package onto your microSD
Copy the English modified file which you'll have a bg5 extension on into that folder, say yes for overwrite.

It'll work after you do that.

And as far as the icons going fast, it's like that for me too. It's like that even on my hardware modded one.

I haven't tried his patcher tool yet though, just the file he had posted earlier.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I did all that.
The only difference is that I used the 'gb' files instead of the 'bg5' ones.
Everything is in English, but the games won't start...

I will try the bg5 version.....

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I'd have to try it out, I just replaced the one file but I haven't tried the tool. I'm not even sure what version that file was for that he hacked originally
tongue.gif
I guess the 06 one.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It works!!
yaynds.gif

Downloaden the lastes version of the Big5 and English ones.
Patched the English g6dsload to Big5 and put it on the card, bingo!
laugh.gif

Now fill my 6Gb with all time classics.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got it working just before I had to leave several hours ago.
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

What I did was I used the patcher on the g6dsload.eng from the English SysSoft and copied the resulting files (modified *.eng, new *.gb and *gb5 files) to the Chinese SysSoft and booted with that on the MicroSD.

Works great!

Of course, the interface is TERRIBLE. It forces you to use the touch screen and the D-Pad/Buttons in tandem and NEITHER is adequate... there's no back button for touch screen navigation and you can't move up a list properly past the first screen using the D-pad. You can even tough a cames graphic icon to launch it.

When messing around with the Chinese SysSoft, the "GM Manager" tab would give me two Chinese options in a drop-down menu on the Chinese SysSoft, but I can't interact with it at all in the English version. Was it a switch between traditional and simplified Chinese? It has to have been something that is not needed in the English firmware, because it appears to be gone.

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

Ok it was doing this freezing for me too. I did something stupid, so I ended up wiping out my SYSTEM folder on my microSD and here's what you do:

Copy the bg5 chinese package onto your microSD
Copy the English modified file which you'll have a bg5 extension on into that folder, say yes for overwrite.

It'll work after you do that.

And as far as the icons going fast, it's like that for me too. It's like that even on my hardware modded one.

I haven't tried his patcher tool yet though, just the file he had posted earlier.
It's like that with Chinese SysSoft on my Chinese DS real, so I guess it's normal and has nothing to do with the English hack.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used the GB files, replaced g6dsload.gb with g6dsload.eng after patching it with iq_132's tool to GB, worked great.

Also did the hardware mod and switched to the original english files, again, worked great. Managed to notice, if you boot with a sd card in but no system files, it will tell you in english which version of card it is and to put the load file in (it switched from chinese to english when I changed the hardware as pictured earlier in the thread). I wouldn't bank on the soft mod lasting all that long as-is though, they could easily add more checks from software like what is done in the media player (and what was done with perfect).

If you intend to the do the hardware mod, you need a fairly hot iron (I wound up at 610F) and remember to take out the screw found in the very top left corner (above the M in M3) under the sticker. It's a real tiny + one.

Biggest difference I note between the soft and hardware switching, is that there must be another check in the media player itself as it appears mostly in Chinese if you do not do the hardware change.

I like the card, though the interface seems kinda thrown together at this point especially compared to the M3S predecessor. For example, codes that should be sorted into sub categories in the cheat list are disparate single liners throughout. Thankfully one doesn't have to resort to scrolling 1 thing at a time. ~that's it for me on the card though, leave the real deal (har) to the real reviewers~

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it's a good card and kinda feels like the menus are thrown together, the gaming is excellent though and all.. I'm just happy this product isn't vaporware, I'm very impressed that it actually not only made the light of day but also made it into my hands. So now I wonder about Cyclo..maybe it is a better product, at least the PCB fab looks better and that's always a good sign.

Barta

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got it working just before I had to leave several hours ago.
biggrin.gif
Thanks!

What I did was I used the patcher on the g6dsload.eng from the English SysSoft and copied the resulting files (modified *.eng, new *.gb and *gb5 files) to the Chinese SysSoft and booted with that on the MicroSD.

Works great!

Did you patch the .eng file to bg of bg5? And did you patch only g6dsload of other files as well. And finally
smile.gif

did you copy ALL files to the system folder. Because it don't work with me and it does work with you, so there must be
something different in our methods.

Help will be appreciated
happy.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I never really expected that they would just use the same firmware for the G6 and M3 Real.
weren't the slot 2 carts different software wise.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you patch the .eng file to bg of bg5? And did you patch only g6dsload of other files as well. And finallyÂ
smile.gif
 did you copy ALL files to the system folder. Because it don't work with me and it does work with you, so there must be something different in our methods.
Copy all the files from the system dir of one of the two chinese ones into your SD. Patch only the g6dsload.eng using iq_132's tool to match whichever version system files you put on the card (*.bg5, use bg5, if they are the other, use the other). Then replace the new g6dsload into the system folder, overwriting the old one. Not too hard at all, if you have problems try the other chinese pack from the one you just tried.

BTW: I have de-xored all the *.language files, as iq_132 says, ONLY g6dsload.* has truly different version, the other files are identical except the value xored to the header. So there is absolutely no use for mixing other files at all (I am more inclined to think your SD card needs to be re-formated).

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I never really expected that they would just use the same firmware for the G6 and M3 Real.
weren't the slot 2 carts different software wise.
Yeah, they were. The Game Managers were almost exactly the same though.

Actually, I like this a lot more. G6 users will always have the same features as M3 users.

iq_132

Trophies
Website
neosource.1emu.net
XP
Country
United States
Glad my little program worked for most of you.
smile.gif

Sorry I couldn't give better instructions. :S Anyone that wants to write a
tutorial that any idiot can understand, I'd love to include that in my readme (not that idiots read readmes, mind you), giving full credits, of course.

Punkrox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Can someone please confirm (iq_132
wink.gif
) that if I buy the chinese M3R, then apply the soft patch it so it is in English. Will I be able to upgrade the card using the ENGLISH firmware/software/loader rather than the Chinese one? (In the future)

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(In the future)
If we could tell the future we'd all be rich. Seriously, it is easy and possible for them to add additional checks beyond the header, and quite likely they left the bootloader open to updating as well (as apparently one can enable/disable autoboot from NDS's main menu, which requires the bootloader header to be modifyable, as well, I see a flash chip inside mine for memory). Such checks would make soft-patching much harder (but not impossible, it depends on how set they are on keeping this one region protected).

Punkrox

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
(In the future)

If we could tell the future we'd all be rich. Seriously, it is easy and possible for them to add additional checks beyond the header, and quite likely they left the bootloader open to updating as well (as apparently one can enable/disable autoboot from NDS's main menu, which requires the bootloader header to be modifyable, as well, I see a flash chip inside mine for memory). Such checks would make soft-patching much harder (but not impossible, it depends on how set they are on keeping this one region protected).

True, hell worst case scenario I'll just crack it open and do a hardware fix.
Thanks.

CZroe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone tried this with the new 2.5 firmware?

That's my question!
wink.gif
Well, I just hard-modded mine following the instructions in the OP. The unmodified 2.5 system software works great other than the same buggy interface that REALLY needs work (get it in gear M3!)! I won't be trying to do this with the modified system software anymore, so I hope someone else can answer your question.

I was having a lot of trouble at 720 degrees but I cranked it up to 800 (the OP's magic number) and it came right off, so I second that you need about 800 degrees. I'm glad I had access to a hot digital temp-adjustable iron at work!

Anyway, perhaps it was really that it took 800 degrees to melt both sides at once and a couple low-wattage irons and an extra set of hands can do it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-