Turn your Chinese M3 Real to English

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by MaHe, Oct 26, 2007.

Oct 26, 2007
  1. MaHe
    OP

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    From an anonymous source, I received a picture that shows the difference between Chinese and English version of M3 DS Real.
    It's concept is quite similar to the one in the initial edition of R4/M3 Simply.

[​IMG]

The picture of the Chinese M3 DS Real was taken from www.scorpei.com, so credits go to him.
    Also, I cannot confirm the method, neither am I responsible if it doesn't work. However, I think my source (who prefers to stay anonymous) is to be trusted.

If you want to spare a few bucks and have basic soldering skill, well ... [​IMG]

2. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    in irc speek: /me goes off to eat his words

Never thought they'd do that again. I guess cutting corners (not making 2 separate PCB revisions, but still charge extra for the different version) at manufacture would be the idea...

3. gcstr

Newcomer gcstr Advanced Member

Australia
    spare some dollars?? do you mean that the english version, when it comes out, will be more than the $34.90 that dealextreme is charging for the chinese version? About how much more?

4. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    For the moment, it also means you can get a white M3R with English firmware

5. 69th_eye

Newcomer 69th_eye Newbie

0 Ohm resistor = wire (connection without resistance). Wire = Tin. Rhat mean you can simply remove the resistorr and put a blob of solding tin in its place. Like R4/M3DSsimply. Do it like this however with resistor means it can be done in the factory (not needing a human: this is done by machine --> cheaper).

6. Nero

Member Nero GBAtemp RPG Maniac

United States
    Hmm... Isn't the price for the English M3Real the same as the Chinese M3Real?

~Nero

7. 69th_eye

Newcomer 69th_eye Newbie

not out yet

8. gcstr

Australia
    PharaohsVizier , have you modified your for English? Does this work?

9. gcstr

Australia
    So yours is English - that would mean the English version must be very close to being available to us non-previledged folk [​IMG]

10. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    cool but I wonder if they fixed this in the intial product runs. will have to see when I get mine.

I still think it is absolutely idiotic to have 'protection' on a flash cartridge.

11. gcstr

Australia
    Exactly, seeing what they are used for I think it is a bit of a joke. Flash carts are used to play roms mainly but they want their own stuff protected??

12. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    It's most obviously just a way to squeeze some extra hard earned cash out of americans and europeans to slightly fatten some chink's bank account. Also eventually someone hacks the firmware and releases a tool then nobody has to modify hardware. It is just stupid plainly. If they made it real difficult for people, people would definitely switch to another product but there's too much competition so they do this little nancy-pants 'shareware version' protection scheme to their devices which is laughable.

Anyhow all flames aside, will have to see how price wars go, it seems like dealextreme pushes the costs down on other more greedy online console supply stores these days.

13. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yup, and considering their prices are already low, they still can afford free shipping internationally. The only problem is that their shipping takes a while longer than other sites.

14. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I'm still awaiting the arrival of mine.. not sure what's going on with the post office.

15. kaisai

Member kaisai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ooo crap, so i could of ordered a chinaese M3R. i ordered it last week

16. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    kaisai, which one did u order?

my shipment is here, I just have to go pick it up. win. So they're still stalling another week on the English version, should've been out by now. tsk tsk. watch dealextremes want $55 for it when it comes out and nobody buy it [​IMG]

17. nds_gamerz

Newcomer nds_gamerz Advanced Member

United States
    pre order prices are already in that range.

18. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I can confirm that the current Chinese ones shipping have this exact layout, however I'm not sure how to open the cartridge. It looks like they probably used a tiny screw at the upper left corner of the cartridge and the only way would be to remove the M3 label and unscrew it. Doesn't sound too fun but hopefully they used some cheap glue and it'll come off and go back together clean. I may have to mod mine soon, this Chinese makes it a little bit more complicated to use and the game names all show up in Chinese if you put them in the /nds/ folder. Stupid that you have to mod the thing to make it work right.

19. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Read this:

100% Confirmed Working!

I just converted mine to English.

NICE thanks!!

20. modshroom128

Member modshroom128 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    confirmed [​IMG] now i can be a jew and buy the 5 dollar cheeper chinese real and turn it to english!

HURRAY!