Hacking Trying to update/fix my CFW/Homebrew on 3DS

joecreed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, first a little background. I had my 3ds running CFW and Homebrew up until about 3-4 years ago when my son updated the system. It wouldn't even boot up, and I forgot about it for years. Found it in a drawer today and wanted to play some again, and I forgot it wouldn't boot up. So I followed the Luma instructions, or so I thought, but when start up the 3ds, no homebrew is showing. If I hold select while starting it, it says Luma is installed so I'm not really sure where I messed up or what's going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hey everyone, first a little background. I had my 3ds running CFW and Homebrew up until about 3-4 years ago when my son updated the system. It wouldn't even boot up, and I forgot about it for years. Found it in a drawer today and wanted to play some again, and I forgot it wouldn't boot up. So I followed the Luma instructions, or so I thought, but when start up the 3ds, no homebrew is showing. If I hold select while starting it, it says Luma is installed so I'm not really sure where I messed up or what's going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
What happen when you turn on your console, but without any SD card inserted and pressing SELECT at the same time?

Edit: And what Luma version is shown when you press SELECT on boot? (Depending of the functional Luma version on your console you must proceed as said here in order to update all thing related with the mod/CFW of your console).

On the other hand, it's possible that your console has an EmuNand in use after all

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

joecreed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happen when you turn on your console, but without any SD card inserted and pressing SELECT at the same time?

Edit: And what Luma version is shown when you press SELECT on boot? (Depending of the functional Luma version on your console you must proceed as said here in order to update all thing related with the mod/CFW of your console).

On the other hand, it's possible that your console has an EmuNand in use after all

The Luma 3DS v 9.0 screen comes up with no card and holding select.

With card in it says same thing but v 10.2

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The Luma 3DS v 9.0 screen comes up with no card and holding select.

With card in it says same thing but v 10.2
Ok. Then update Luma (and the console and homebrews, if required), following this post

On the other hand, when you finalize with Luma updating, check again on the Luma config menu if any EmuNand related option is displayed or not. If yes, then you should follow this guide to move EmuNand to SysNand

joecreed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. Then update Luma (and the console and homebrews, if required), following this post

On the other hand, when you finalize with Luma updating, check again on the Luma config menu if any EmuNand related option is displayed or not. If yes, then you should follow this guide to move EmuNand to SysNand

I have downloaded the newest Luma and copied those two files to my SD. Should I go ahead and do that second part?

joecreed

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks so much. That second guy has things working again. Since you have been so helpful, is there an easy way to transfer from one memory card to another? I think I'm going to need a 32gb now. Is it as simple as just copying everything over, or is there more involved than that? Thanks again for your help.

fmkid

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks so much. That second guy has things working again. Since you have been so helpful, is there an easy way to transfer from one memory card to another? I think I'm going to need a 32gb now. Is it as simple as just copying everything over, or is there more involved than that? Thanks again for your help.
Yes. Only copying all the content from a SD to another will be enough. But, have in account that the new SD that you want to use must be formatted as follow:
  • FAT32 only
  • Recommended cluster size: 32kB (up to 64GB total memory size) or 64kB (for 128GB or above).
  • Always marked as primary partition and using MBR type allocation table.
Anyway, it's so recommended that you analyze your new SD card following this post, if you want (in order to be sure about the integrity/reliability of that new card before to be used)

Reactions: joecreed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1