Trying to get my EFA flash cart to work on vitural box

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Videomanman87, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Videomanman87
    OP

Member Videomanman87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi all,
    I have a EFAlinker flash cart (the fake one that requires drivers). I have vista 64 bit, so I know I have a uphill battle here. Have installed Vitural Box and running XP in emmulation and while I can get the green light on (capturing the USB/cart in vitural box) I can't get the driver to install. I have tried several versions but I keep getting "the ini does not have information about your hardware" or something to that effect. And of course the software can't find the cart. Any ideas? Thanks.

(I saw a guy got his going in virtaul box so I have a little hope. :)

2. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    You need a .sys file and an .ini file. Actually, in some cases you don't even need the .ini file, the .sys file is absolutely required though.

Just copy them to C:\windows\system32\drivers and then reset your virtual machine (of course assuming your system drive is C).

3. Videomanman87
    OP

United States
    Actually I have two sys files. Interestingly enough I see they are actually in that directory (but gave me the error as I said so I didn't think they installed). However the EFA client (simple) won't see the cart. Any ideas? I do have the green light on the cart and the USB port is "captured".

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
  5. Videomanman87
    OP

United States
    Ok not sure what was different this time, but when I captured the USB device (the cart) the "new hardware" window poped up! Which it hadn't before, odd considering I had tried it several times before. And the drivers are installed, however the program still won't see the cart. I am guessing the battery is dead and probably no good as I have had it hooked up and charging for over 8 hours by now. Although while the green light was on, the driver was not installed, does the driver have to be installed to charge the cart? And I assume that if the battery is dead the program won't see it?

Also I noticed on your guide it has the cart in the GBA and turned on, the instructions I got long ago with this said to never do that or it might damage the cart.

And THANK YOU everyone for the help!

6. Videomanman87
    OP

United States
    Well it is not due to dead battery. I managed to get a old windows ME laptop going and that works fine with the cart. However the battery is indeed toast. Left it plugged in for over 9 hours and still won't save a game. The odd thing though is I was testing "SimCity 2000" which according to the cart does game saves via flash/eprom. But obviously it does not as soon as I shut the GBA off poof goes the game save. It works fine otherwise though, saves ROM's etc just fine. Just the game save is toast....which sucks considering 99% of the games I play save in one form or another.